LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)

Old 10-22-07, 07:51 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those hands are not mine
Old 10-22-07, 10:18 AM
srcada
Rookie

Default Prestigous Society

I recently bought my data systems controller for my LS460L from these guys and they were good to deal with. The instructions they provided for installing the unit were great and it only took my about 30 minutes to install with their instructions. Anyone considering the group buy should do so without hesitation.
Old 10-22-07, 10:29 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Um, how many hands do you have?
LOL
Old 10-22-07, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol that's very funny

the button isn't big, maybe a bit larger than the size of the thumb nail. i put mine close to the driver side, below the start button, where the leather panel meets the dash. but you can pretty much put it anywhere you want.
Old 10-22-07, 11:16 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice unit~

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 10-22-07 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-23-07, 07:37 AM
dayslate90
Driver School Candidate

Default Cost is $299

The cost from Prestige is $299
Old 10-23-07, 04:33 PM
lexus111
Rookie

I just ordered my unit from Prestigous Society. I have been e-mailing them back and forth for the last few days. The price is $299.00 then add about $10 for shipping. They will accept Paypal, personal checks, money orders, or cashier checks. I am waiting to hear how long it will take to receive the unit. I will update more when I have any new info.
Old 10-23-07, 04:57 PM
mmorozov
Driver

I was told the lead time is 3 weeks. I am about to place an order.
Old 10-23-07, 08:27 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
lol it's sunday, i guess they need a break too

anyway, did more testing today, results are pretty positive

1) the dvd playback is continuous without any blocking. so once the dvd playback is enabled (when driving), it will just play and play and play. it won't stop after 5 mins or anything

2) when the dvd is playing, you can press on the MAP button and it will go to the navigation map. the map is not frozen! it's still tracking you and moving smoothly. the dvd audio would be on the background, and you can switch back to dvd playback easily

3) when playing dvd, you can go to MAP/DEST, trigger the system to override the nav as well (not it freezes), and then you can input destination. then release the override, and the system will start to guide you flawlessly. you can then go back to the dvd playback, and the system will continue to guide you (left turn ahead, four tenths of a mile, etc...) through the route.

this is pretty awesome coz' the dvd and the nav now seems to be two separate systems. playback is continuous and could be on the background, whereas the nav is still active and can be disabled with a touch of a button.

just curious blkis350, the way you override the system, when the dvd is playing, is the nav still functional (tracking)?
I would imagine no, it would no longer track the vehicle. Once you interrupt the VSS and GPS signal the vehicle has no way of tracking from the satellite. Judging from the pic you posted the unit definately interupts gps, since i see male and female gps antenna plugs. How it still tracks u, i have no idea? Either way, i only posted to let members know over ride was possible. If someone releases a "black box" that works better than a diy cheap fix, props to them. I've only done one of these and the customer's concern was video in motion. I did drive it 10 miles, and when i switched back to nav, it picked me up immediately. I didn't drive it 100 miles, but who knows?
Old 10-23-07, 10:42 PM
lexus111
Rookie

I received another e-mail from Prestigous and they mention about 3 weeks or so as the most likely timing
Old 10-24-07, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by blk06is350
I would imagine no, it would no longer track the vehicle. Once you interrupt the VSS and GPS signal the vehicle has no way of tracking from the satellite. Judging from the pic you posted the unit definately interupts gps, since i see male and female gps antenna plugs. How it still tracks u, i have no idea? Either way, i only posted to let members know over ride was possible. If someone releases a "black box" that works better than a diy cheap fix, props to them. I've only done one of these and the customer's concern was video in motion. I did drive it 10 miles, and when i switched back to nav, it picked me up immediately. I didn't drive it 100 miles, but who knows?
umm, interesting. your way of hacking it is pretty much what i had in mind as well. i guess the unit i got has the extra capability of "separating" the nav and the dvd playback huh? that'd be interesting how they did it
Old 10-24-07, 05:22 AM
thrang
Rookie

Default On order

I contacted them or order (via email) and got a prompt reply from Chung - I'm on the list, and will be contacted by their sales department today for payment options.

Being told about two to three weeks lead time, and that the kit comes with detailed, photo instructions for dash take apart and installation (I'll still give it to my car av installer....)
Old 10-24-07, 04:27 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Makes me wonder. If turning on the DVD playback is not having any effect on the navigation, why even have a button? Turn it on so it works all the time. Rominl, please find out what are the limitations of the video playback! There is gotta be something that warrants having a button for the video mode.
Old 10-24-07, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop, i tried. the button turns on and off the system. so if the TV button is off, dvd playback is blocked completely when in motion. and once it's pressed (and light up), the dvd playback is enabled. it's just a way to turn it on and off, i couldn't see any other difference.

one thing i can think of (joke) is if a cop pulls you over for watching movie in the front, you can turn off your TV button and show him that it's blocked?

it could also be the fact that ls460 in japan can have the TV option (real tv antenna) so this will pose limitations in japan. but here in the US we don't have that, only dvd playback, and i have yet to see any other effect besides on/off

Last edited by rominl; 10-24-07 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 03:14 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

Great find Henry.. i am ordering in the morning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)