LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 08:23 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to tell u guys, but I accomplished this 6 months ago. Ireally don't understand what the complications are, I posted my findings in the other thread. Nothing special, three things need to happen: parking brake wire needs to be broken and side to nav needs ground, vss needs to be broken and gps antenna needs to be broken(if u are smart and creative, u don't have to cut it). IF ANY ONE IS LOCAL TO ME I WILL DO YOURS FREE OF CHARGE TO PROVE THIS. You just buy the parts which consist of 2 relays, 2 antenna adapters and an fm modulator! We are talking less than $100! I will even take pics and make a DIY!

Last edited by blk06is350; 10-19-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 08:47 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by blk06is350
Hate to tell u guys, but I accomplished this 6 months ago. Ireally don't understand what the complications are, I posted my findings in the other thread. Nothing special, three things need to happen: parking brake wire needs to be broken and side to nav needs ground, vss needs to be broken and gps antenna needs to be broken(if u are smart and creative, u don't have to cut it). IF ANY ONE IS LOCAL TO ME I WILL DO YOURS FREE OF CHARGE TO PROVE THIS. You just buy the parts which consist of 2 relays, 2 antenna adapters and an fm modulator! We are talking less than $100! I will even take pics and make a DIY!
Rominl: Is this the procedure and items you used?

blk06is350: This is good to know. The good news is if Rominl verifies the above then it looks like we'll have an repeated answer to this issue for further verification of an effective fix. It also helps to know the costs in parts in evaluating what may be charged to have the work done to see what is reasonable.

Last edited by acecert; 10-19-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't think the dvd playback stops every 5 mins, i have to check again. that would be stupid if it stops every 5 mins i think

me personally i am not into cutting any wires or dealing with any specific wires. the stuff i get is completely plug and play with all the harness. imho it's much easier to have all the plugs and you just plug everything in. it has the brain (for all the logistic i guess) and all the harnesses. very clean, that's what i want. partially why i never bother to open it up and deal with wires

all that for 100 bucks? good luck, i am sure this unit would cost more. good luck doing wires one by one. guess the concept isn't hard, but from what i saw on the unit there are a lot more wires tapping
Old 10-19-07, 10:02 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think the dvd playback stops every 5 mins, i have to check again. that would be stupid if it stops every 5 mins i think

me personally i am not into cutting any wires or dealing with any specific wires. the stuff i get is completely plug and play with all the harness. imho it's much easier to have all the plugs and you just plug everything in. it has the brain (for all the logistic i guess) and all the harnesses. very clean, that's what i want. partially why i never bother to open it up and deal with wires

all that for 100 bucks? good luck, i am sure this unit would cost more. good luck doing wires one by one. guess the concept isn't hard, but from what i saw on the unit there are a lot more wires tapping
U are correct, the concept isn't hard if u have some electrical knowledge and experience. Its not rocket science, thats what I'm trying to say. If you don't want to cut any wires a plug and play would be nice. If i had the ability to manufacture molex plugs i would make this a "black box" and make a fortune, lol. I would imagine this plug and play item to retail for $500 or so and cost another $100-$300 to install depending on the installer. Props to the company that markets it first, I was just stating that the "fix" is old news. Either people didn't read my post in the other thread or aren't willing to try it? Idk.
Old 10-19-07, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup that's what i was trying to say too. defeating the system wouldn't be hard (coming from EE major here as well), just that every time i think about probing the wires and dealing with them one by one i already feel painful. not to mention if one day i have to go back to stock, etc... when i found out about this kit i was particularly interested coz' of all the harness and plug and play feature.

actually i remember reading your post long time ago. you posted after another guy did it but wasn't able to override the nav. however i think a lot of people asked you for pictures and procedures but you didn't post anything so it kind of died down. then another person posted with the 30sec freeze setup. that was the last i heard about the override

we will see how much the kit will end up costing. my friend is different coz' i bought it solo (grr..) and with all the overhead it wasn't pretty. hopefully you guys can get better price!
Old 10-19-07, 10:52 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i want to drive with rubber gloves
Old 10-20-07, 05:33 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Rominl...are the parts available through your vendor now or do they have to be ordered and would take some time to get?
Old 10-20-07, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i had to wait for mine to come in, they didn't have it in stock coz' no one has ever tried it before. seems like i am the first one to get this stuff

i talked to prestigious today again, they said they got quite a few calls and emails regarding this and they are putting people in a first come first serve basis since they have no idea how many units they can get now. they are also trying to get the ETA when the stuff can come in (so i guess they don't have it in stock, which makes sense). so they want to confirm these before taking any deposits/payments.

you guys can always shoot them an email
Old 10-20-07, 05:37 PM
Duonguyen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hapaboy
i want to drive with rubber gloves
Because now you can play with the touch screen while moving?
Old 10-20-07, 06:31 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Yeah, when i did this 4 my customer, he was sent over by my local dealer. I told them I would give it a whirl. I did it and then got on club lrxus and figured it was already done. i didn't realize it was a big deal. If I could get another LS in the shop, I would do a DIY with pics. Someones got to be close enough to me to want to take me up on my offer....
Old 10-21-07, 04:29 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Guess this topic has quickly fallen down the list...we need to hear from the vendor and it'll heat right back up again! :-)
Old 10-21-07, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol it's sunday, i guess they need a break too

anyway, did more testing today, results are pretty positive

1) the dvd playback is continuous without any blocking. so once the dvd playback is enabled (when driving), it will just play and play and play. it won't stop after 5 mins or anything

2) when the dvd is playing, you can press on the MAP button and it will go to the navigation map. the map is not frozen! it's still tracking you and moving smoothly. the dvd audio would be on the background, and you can switch back to dvd playback easily

3) when playing dvd, you can go to MAP/DEST, trigger the system to override the nav as well (not it freezes), and then you can input destination. then release the override, and the system will start to guide you flawlessly. you can then go back to the dvd playback, and the system will continue to guide you (left turn ahead, four tenths of a mile, etc...) through the route.

this is pretty awesome coz' the dvd and the nav now seems to be two separate systems. playback is continuous and could be on the background, whereas the nav is still active and can be disabled with a touch of a button.

just curious blkis350, the way you override the system, when the dvd is playing, is the nav still functional (tracking)?
Old 10-22-07, 06:25 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Smile Pic of Buttons

Here is a pic of the button unit.

Rominl, can you post a pic of where you installed in the vehicle to give us an idea of how it looks installed in the location you chose? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)-button.jpg  
Old 10-22-07, 06:26 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Smile Pic of Harness

And here is the harness.
Attached Thumbnails nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)-device.jpg  
Old 10-22-07, 07:12 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Um, how many hands do you have?

Quick Reply: nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)