LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ex-GS owners who got LS460 - your reflections

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 10:03 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ex-GS owners who got LS460 - your reflections

Right now I've got a 98 GS 300, i.e., a 2nd gen GS. I am thinking about getting an LS 460.

If you've made the change from a GS to an LS 460, I'd like to hear your thoughts both pro (i.e. liked this gadget better or whatever) and con (i.e. missed the handling of a smaller car or whatever). Thanks!
Old 03-14-07, 11:15 AM
clambros
Driver

I had a 2007 GS450h .. my second GS (first was a 2000 GS300) ..

The LS460L is NOT the same car as the GS450h. The GS450h quick (scary quick). It corners better .. very close to a BMW (IMHO) for performance.

The LS is a luxury cruising vessel. Interior is much better (more leather, less plastic, seats have more adjustments, seats are larger, larger steering wheel, nicer instrument cluster). Performance wise, too much slower than my GS, but you can't throw the LS into turns like the GS. Believe it or not .. my LS is VERY close to the GS in fuel economy. My LS gets ~19mpg city and ~29mpg HWY (compared to ~23mpg City and ~26mpg HWY with the GS450h). The LS is MUCH quieter than the GS (wind noise, engine noise, road noise). Sound system in LS is much better (more bass and better staging).

These are some of my initial observations .. if you have any specific questions please let me know.
Old 03-14-07, 12:42 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clambros
Sound system in LS is much better (more bass and better staging).

These are some of my initial observations .. if you have any specific questions please let me know.
I assume you have ML stereo -- correct? -- which I am not sure is worth the extra cost. Maybe it is. I don't know.

Some of my worries in the upgrade to an LS are that 1) it will feel too much like I'm driving a boat rather than a more responsive car and 2) the depreciation will be too large in absolute dollars if I trade it in in say 5 years vs. the depreciation on a GS (% depreciation of course might be the same).
Old 03-14-07, 03:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

it will feel too much like I'm driving a boat

I think that is a relative jugdment. If you went from a 911, or Ferrari, or Corvette to a GS300, you would definitely get that "boat" feeling. The same holds true for going from a more nimbler vehicle to a larger vehicle.

If depreciation is a major concern for you, it would be best served if you bought a mint 2 year old model. A substantial amount of depreciation would already be out of such a vehicle.
Old 03-14-07, 04:52 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
If depreciation is a major concern for you, it would be best served if you bought a mint 2 year old model. A substantial amount of depreciation would already be out of such a vehicle.
Every time I buy a new car, I think about that BUT for me the wonferful smell of a new car which lasts a long time but 2 years and the confidence in knowing the story behind everything that's ever happened to it, keeps from buying a 2-year old car.
Old 03-14-07, 07:28 PM
clambros
Driver

Originally Posted by steverhode
I assume you have ML stereo -- correct? -- which I am not sure is worth the extra cost. Maybe it is. I don't know.

Some of my worries in the upgrade to an LS are that 1) it will feel too much like I'm driving a boat rather than a more responsive car and 2) the depreciation will be too large in absolute dollars if I trade it in in say 5 years vs. the depreciation on a GS (% depreciation of course might be the same).
Yes, I have a Mark Levinson system. Personally, I would rather dump the extra money into an upgraded factory system than allow an 18-20 year old to disassemble a new $80K to upgrade the sound system (and that 18-20 year old used to be me !).

As for feeling like a boat .. Yeah .. its not a GS, but its not a 1975 Cadillac, either ! I was impressed .. go for a drive, I think you will be too.

As for depreciation .. I've never been disappointed in the resale value of any of my Lexi (I've had 5 Lexi since MY 2000). Now if you want to talk depreciation, lets talk about my $63K Cadillac STS, that would only get $35K at auction, after 16 months and 13,000 miles !

Good luck !
Old 03-14-07, 08:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My sister has an '04 GS300, which I have driven several times, and I just got the LS460L over a month ago.

APPEARANCE: The 4LS definately trumps the 2GS in design, as it utilizes more modern technology such as LED lights, better paint quality, and (of course) L-Finesse. The 2GS does have a more classic and distinctive look to it, and can be modified with plenty of body kits. I can notice the 2GS far more easily than the 4LS in L.A. freeways.

FEEL: Quality of the 4LS again trumps the 2GS. There are more contrasts in textures and surfaces on the LS from its leather and suede and alcantara and wood and the such. For some reason, the front seats on the 2GS feel more plush and comfortable than the 4LS. The rear passenger seats are significantly better in the 4LS. As for ride quality, both are buttery smooth and comfortable. It only differs if you push it (see PERFORMANCE below).

POWER: Although the 4LS460 has more power than the 2GS300, you definately can't feel nor hear it. The 2GS is able to translate such power to the driver's sensation more so than the 4LS. I enjoy the rush of a quick 2GS, whereas the 4LS isolates. If I have passengers, they're quite content in the 4LS not knowing that I gunned the car in such an aggressive manner. Passengers on the 2GS hold on for dear life and curse my intentions.

PERFORMANCE: I have tried to push the 4LS during driving; she does not like it. She will beep (various alarms) and slow down (VDIM) and roll (my god, the body roll...) and try to straighten as much as possible. The 2GS is much more responsive, with plenty of grip and gusto on the road. It's funny: although the 4LS has more than 150 hp than the 2GS, you would never know unless Lexus told you...

TECHNOLOGY: what can I say, the 4LS beats almost every car out there in this category. Gadgets and gizmos sell the 4LS. However, you can mod the hell out of the 2GS with all the bells and whistles you can find on the 4LS, and still be thousands of dollars richer.

VALUE: how can I define value between these two cars? If you value performance and cost efficiency, keep the 2GS. If you value the latest technology and complete and utter pampering, get the 4LS.
Old 03-14-07, 10:12 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My sister has an '04 GS300, which I have driven several times, and I just got the LS460L over a month ago....

Great summary
Old 03-14-07, 10:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My sister has an '04 GS300, which I have driven several times, and I just got the LS460L over a month ago.
Thanx for the input Does your LS460L have the AVS ?
Old 03-15-07, 03:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Thanx for the input Does your LS460L have the AVS ?
Unfortunately not. It would have been nice(r)...