LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Overriding the LS 460 Nav.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 06:54 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denso does not supply the BMW and Acura systems.

I think that the lockout is not really for the driver's safety, but rather for the company's safety....safety from liability lawsuits. Some companies perceive the need to be protected from it, some don't.

As for your double standard comment.... if we REALLY wanted totally safe cars, free from all sorts of distractions, cars would look very different. As the number one cause of distraction-related accidents is other passengers (specifically children), all cars would be one seaters.

Also, radios would stop working when the car started moving, cupholders would slam shut, sensors would be installed so that if one or more hands left the steering wheel for more than a few seconds while the car was moving, the engine would shut off. Makeup mirrors would not be usable when the car is moving. And so on and so on (I think you get the picture).

Most importantly, all cars would be limited to 65 mph (or less, if we really "cared"). Speed kills, it can be demonstrated statistically, so it is imperative that cars be limited to the speed limit.

So, as you can see, it's a pick and choose world. You choose the things that present an acceptable risk to you. If you want the nav locked out while you are driving, then you will get a car that does that. If it's really important to you to have the nav/bluetooth unlocked, there are cars that provide that. BTW, all aftermarket nav systems that I know of are fully unlockable.

nb
Old 01-15-07, 08:33 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nobuddy
Denso does not supply the BMW and Acura systems.

Also, radios would stop working when the car started moving, cupholders would slam shut, sensors would be installed so that if one or more hands left the steering wheel for more than a few seconds while the car was moving, the engine would shut off. Makeup mirrors would not be usable when the car is moving. And so on and so on (I think you get the picture).

nb
We are getting there. Next generation of cars will have camera on the steering wheel to watch drivers eye position as well as sensors to watch the 'white lines' on the road and make various driving corrections when necessary.
Old 01-15-07, 12:19 PM
LexusLean
Driver School Candidate

Default Why not...

Why not a simple code-enforced override accessible through the menu? I mean, as advanced as the LS460 navigation system is, and considering the price, I'm mystified as to why the owner can't lockout the lockout.

All of you furiously working on the override, I salute you and root for your success.
Old 01-15-07, 09:36 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusLean
Why not a simple code-enforced override accessible through the menu? I mean, as advanced as the LS460 navigation system is, and considering the price, I'm mystified as to why the owner can't lockout the lockout.

All of you furiously working on the override, I salute you and root for your success.
I agree and am giving all of the support that I can to anyone who is able to figure out how to get past this.
Old 03-14-07, 08:45 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

I still can't figure out how to over-ride the NAV, but my stereo installer actually hack the dvd/tv so I can watch it now while driving. It's just 2 wires to mod... that's all he told me but he's not willing to share which 2 wires.
Old 03-20-07, 06:20 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hybrids14
I still can't figure out how to over-ride the NAV, but my stereo installer actually hack the dvd/tv so I can watch it now while driving. It's just 2 wires to mod... that's all he told me but he's not willing to share which 2 wires.
I'm being patient with this one but hoping someone can figure out how to override the nav...there's just too many features blocked out that would be useful (such as the phone) and more safe than using your cell through bluetooth (if you have used all your name tags and don't know the number of the person you are dialing). If there was enough memory for a large quantity of name tags then this would resolve the problem most of the time. With people having multiple numbers (cell, home, work) it's easy to absorb the 20 limited voice tags available. There will be a lot of happy people if and when this hack is discovered.