LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS-460 Tail light design

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 05:29 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LS-460 Tail light design

I really like the design of the tail lights but I am not very impressed with its functionality.

1) Turn signal uses regular el-cheapo amber light bulbs instead of amber LEDs (cheaper BMWs have LED turn signals)

2) There is an UNUSED section that always stays dark. Why didn't they fit that area with LEDs for brake function?

See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails LS-460 Tail light design-tail-light.jpg  
Old 12-20-06, 05:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the diagram!

I thought the darkened area is there for stylistic reasons, it looks cool when at night the brake lights are on and you see the "L" shaped glowing light. It continues a theme throughout the vehicle with "L" and "S" shapes.
Old 12-20-06, 06:50 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's correct that the unlighted "dead" spot creates the dual Ls in LED each time you brake. Very subtle and cool.

And yes great illustration of the lights.
Old 12-20-06, 07:23 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm great diagram but I think that they look fine and perform fine

-Jacob
Old 12-21-06, 12:09 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats an impressive diagram.
Old 12-21-06, 09:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SexEndaLex
LOL, I keep laughing at these threads complaining about little stuff. This new car must be realllly damn good, people complaining about tailights, the fact that they CAN HEAR A BUS PASS BY...never mentioned how loudly, mind you, just the fact that they CAN HEAR A BUS PASS BY...WTF????

Meanwhile, we have Benz owners drinking coffee in the workshop waiting room.

Hilarious stuff.

(I'm not flaming anybody, just pointing out how spoiled some of you guys are :-)
calm down now calm down now. i don't think anyone is ditching the car, some of them are concerns by owners and i guess they can voice their opinions too right? there is no need to put down on them.
Old 12-21-06, 11:55 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were a few areas of the new LS460 where I saw standard light bulbs being used where LEDs are being found in cars for much less money.

I love LED lighting... so much so that I'm really hoping the LED headlights from the LS600h will filter down to the LS460 in another couple model years, maybe? Lincoln and Nissan both now have cars with LED front lighting that cost a lot less money.

When you approach the car do the puddle lamps from the side mirrors light up with LED lighting? I know the 06 GS300 loaner car I had did that but I never noticed an LEDs on the LS460 that I checked out in this area. Also IIRC the overhead lighting and vanity mirror lighting isn't LED, either, whereas it was, at least for the overhead lighting, in the GS... what gives or am I just remembering my experience with the LS460 incorrectly?
Old 12-21-06, 07:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
There were a few areas of the new LS460 where I saw standard light bulbs being used where LEDs are being found in cars for much less money.

I love LED lighting... so much so that I'm really hoping the LED headlights from the LS600h will filter down to the LS460 in another couple model years, maybe? Lincoln and Nissan both now have cars with LED front lighting that cost a lot less money.

When you approach the car do the puddle lamps from the side mirrors light up with LED lighting? I know the 06 GS300 loaner car I had did that but I never noticed an LEDs on the LS460 that I checked out in this area. Also IIRC the overhead lighting and vanity mirror lighting isn't LED, either, whereas it was, at least for the overhead lighting, in the GS... what gives or am I just remembering my experience with the LS460 incorrectly?
most people complained about overhead LEDs in GS :-).

I think LS has combination of both, but I am not quite positive.
Old 12-21-06, 10:13 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe inside the LS-460 is perfect, the lights are a mixture of LEDs and regular bulbs (spot = LEDs, rest = bulbs).

What doesn't make me happy is the use of $1.00 bulbs for blinkers on a $72,000.00 car

Call me fussy but I would love to see amber LEDs for turn signals at the back and front. It would give an even higher "elegance" to the car.
Old 12-21-06, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

maybe in another year or two the "facelift" will have led turn signals. i believe that was the case for bmw back then
Old 12-22-06, 07:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
most people complained about overhead LEDs in GS :-).
Seriously???
Old 12-22-06, 08:16 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Seriously???

Yes, there are complaints about the GS interior lighting as the interior remains very dark even when doors are opened and the lights go on. Too much reliance imho on the very directional led spot lights which don't illuminate much area. Great for an interior reading light like its use in the rear of the LS but lousy for lighting up general areas so you can see around when getting in and out of the car. LS interior lighting is fine though perhaps because of the mixture of led and bulb lighting. Spots have their purpose but are not so good for general lighting.
Old 12-22-06, 08:26 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Hmm... well maybe they can continue to use LED lighting and just use a lense with more spread because it's not hard at all to make an LED broadcast a broad spread of light - I use a headlamp for mountain climbing that can cast a beam that covers an area about 30 feet deep and 15 feet wide using only 4 LEDs.
Old 12-22-06, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hmm... well maybe they can continue to use LED lighting and just use a lense with more spread because it's not hard at all to make an LED broadcast a broad spread of light - I use a headlamp for mountain climbing that can cast a beam that covers an area about 30 feet deep and 15 feet wide using only 4 LEDs.
i find the same problem on the 2is as well, led is cool but a bit on the dim side. i am sure lexus is working on improving it, especially when they are going to use led for their ls600hl headlights
Old 06-02-19, 08:52 AM
es350chuck
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Is anyone familiar with the brake light bulb size? Trying to look into getting blinking brake lights to alert drivers behind during traffic.

Quick Reply: LS-460 Tail light design