LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 05:37 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460

I finally send my LS460 to the body shop on Wednesday to paint all the chrome trim on the car a matching black. When the car is done next week I'll take some photos of how it's going to turn out. Please make sure that your body shop have experience in painting over the chrome parts if you're planning to do the same, since paint don't stick well on those parts.

I'll also be sending the car to do a custom bodykit after. Since my LS460 is black on black I don't really like the wood trim that I have on the interior. I'm planning to do piano finish paint or real carbon fiber overlay on the wood trim parts after my bodykit is done. Please let me know what you guys prefer, Piano paint or Carbon fiber?

P.S. My friend just got another LS460L. That's the 3rd LS460 we bought from Lexus ^^
Old 11-25-06, 06:20 AM
Gunthaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmm'mmm, piano black, do that.
Old 11-25-06, 07:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Piano black
Old 11-25-06, 07:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Is your name Darth Vader?
Old 11-25-06, 07:17 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Piano black all the way
Old 11-25-06, 07:23 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i am curious to see these pics....
Old 11-25-06, 10:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, you're moving along rather quickly

I want the hearse look myself=black/black/black (pie-ano wood )
...but the CF is more sporty though

Can't wait for the pictures, esp. the body kit
Will you be blacking out the tail-lights?
Old 11-25-06, 01:13 PM
Lexwang07

Piano black trim sounds great!
Old 11-26-06, 01:29 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, you're moving along rather quickly

I want the hearse look myself=black/black/black (pie-ano wood )
...but the CF is more sporty though

Can't wait for the pictures, esp. the body kit
Will you be blacking out the tail-lights?
The headlight blackout was not successful. Therefore, we're painting the orange part of the headlight a tinted black to cover it up on the outside. The brake lights are supposed to be painted a tinted black by Monday. I'll have Lexus technicians install the headlights and brake lights on Tuesday. Custom body kit gotta wait, I barely drove the car... lol. Also 20" AC type IV going on Tuesday
Old 12-06-06, 11:29 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

Originally Posted by hybrids14
The headlight blackout was not successful. Therefore, we're painting the orange part of the headlight a tinted black to cover it up on the outside. The brake lights are supposed to be painted a tinted black by Monday. I'll have Lexus technicians install the headlights and brake lights on Tuesday. Custom body kit gotta wait, I barely drove the car... lol. Also 20" AC type IV going on Tuesday
Here's a close up of the front headlights painted to cover the yellow reflectors.
Attached Thumbnails Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460-dsc00139.jpg  
Old 12-08-06, 10:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that's the first pic on here of the LS with bumper removed. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it's all done. Do any of the dealer people / others give you strange looks--e.g. what are you doing with the car?
Old 12-09-06, 01:43 PM
jotafl
Driver

Will go with the piano, more classy than then CF. As everyone else, can't wait to see the pictures on the final product or as the project goes on, send more pictures on the update. Congrats and good luck, hope it comes out good.
Old 12-11-06, 01:47 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexEndaLex
"All Lexus wood trim is genuine, and each wood inlay in a single vehicle is sourced from the same tree for a consistent appearance.

For the latest Lexus LS model, new production standards include a paint process where the entire vehicle is hand-sanded twice, the steering wheel leather buffed for six hours, and the window chrome trim carved out of a single piece of metal and polished by hand."

Whyyy...ohhh whyyyy...are you taking your car apart like this??? My artery almost exploded when I saw that pic with the bumper off.

I never bash anybody's ideas, but this is something kids with 240sx's and Civics do, not 80 thousand dollar luxury cars. Are you seriously contemplating on putting carbon fiber "overlays", or stickers, as I like to call them, on that beautiful wood? And I also have body mods on my car, but strictly lips, and skirts. I would never take my LS apart, it's just not the same once you put it back. You never know, man. The fitment, alignment, everything is perfect from the factory, once you start messing with it, it's just......uggghh. It's just that I appreciate the length that the engineers of this great car went through, to make sure every detail was perfected.....and to ef it up like that....I guess I just appreciate it more. I'm what you would call a "dash stroker".

Anyway, good luck, hope everything fits back the way it's supposed to.

And also, just curious, how old are you, and what kind of car did you have prior to this?
Humm.... I had Lexus factory trained mechanic took out all the parts and painted at the Lexus delivery center in Taoyuan, don't worry, they took apart a LS460 prior during training in Japan . Not really afraid that it won't fit back the way it's suppose to since the LS460 is already put back to "stock" as I'm typing this and everything fits fine. The carbon overlay is a big pain to do since the racing team mechanic had to hand lay each piece and clear coat it making sure it fits perfect, it's not a "STICKER" but geniune carbon fiber overlay. I HATE wood, any type of it, on any of my cars... trust me, my first car is a Mercedes 300CE, and I owned over 20 Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW with "wood," but I just had to get rid of it on all of them. Wood to me just is a little "old looking" for my taste, just personal preference. Hells, if they offered a LS460 with carbon fiber, aluminum, or piano black interior trim option I would be the first one to purchase it, at any reasonable price. The Ferrari F430 that I wanted comes with carbon fiber. Anyhow, for now I'm enjoying my LS460 while waiting for my 22" custom forged wheels. Below is some pictures of my door handles, chrome trim, etc. painted.

P.S. I'm 33 right now and my LS460 cost me over 130K, not 80K, FYI the Ferrari F430 I ordered is going to cost me half a million, I'm in Taiwan...
heavy taxes...
Attached Thumbnails Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460-dsc00179.jpg  
Old 12-11-06, 01:52 AM
hybrids14
Rookie

Took out the Lexus and LS460 Badge in the back...
Attached Thumbnails Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460-dsc00180.jpg  
Old 12-11-06, 02:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahhaa at least you are able to afford all those cars in taiwan, that's not easy. so do you hang out with all the other cool exotic owners during the weekend on those fun drives around town to show off?

anyway, car looks very mean now with everything blacked out. for the interior wood, i would definitely say piano black. saw the combo on bmw and it's just SICK

Quick Reply: Painting exterior chrome trim on LS460