LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about paying cash - viewed as positive or negative by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 08:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
exactly, and 3k is a lot already. most dealerships i go to, they take 500 to 1000 at most...
Really ? Even my Infiniti/Nissan dealer would take $2000 max. ?
Old 11-12-06, 10:39 AM
cowdung
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find out which way you get the best deal. If its financing, then go that route and when you get your first bill, just write a check and you get the best of both worlds. I have a very good friend who is high up in Lexus corporate who told me that when people finance and then pay the bill off after the first statement, the dealers actually have to pay the lender because the lender had to swallow all the costs to finanace and made no money on the deal. Just a tidbit to chew on.
Old 11-12-06, 10:42 AM
cowdung
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rockville
because it removes a profit center (finance revenue) from the transaction.

Is paying cash a smart idea? If I told you that I had a mythical investment opportunity for you and your $70,000 and I could just about guarantee that in 4 years it would be worth half that amount would you be a player? The good old US Dollar is a piece of paper and has no backing in tangible value and as such has eroded in purchasing power for decades. Real Estate values have quadrupled during that time. Are all of these older houses worth so much more? NO! The Dollar has gone down in value. We have generally had some inflation for many years so this means that you will need more Dollars later to buy the same amount of goods. This reduces the cost of borrowing as you are paying back in less valuable Dollars over time. Now if you could take the mythical investment above and get a 10 percent return on it while paying 7 percent for financing then it would be a wash after taxes. If you can get greater than a 10 percent return then you should keep your cash and invest. Leasing may give the most leverage of your money.

As far as negotiating by stating that you will stroke a check, it does not improve your leverage so resist the temptation. Some owners just don't like financing or leasing cars so for them it's simpler and that's fine too. When driving the LS460 these other trifles will disappear in the rear view mirror...

Rock
Have you been reading "rich dad poor dad" The author is a good friend of mine and he tells me this all the time and how wise i was to go into realestate.
Old 11-13-06, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Really ? Even my Infiniti/Nissan dealer would take $2000 max. ?
i don't know, even the acura and infiniti dealerships i went to said that...
Old 11-13-06, 11:53 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Higher end dealerships will allow you to charge more...When we got the Maserati serviced with new fluids, tires, alignment, LABOR, etc the bill was 3500. They took a CC with no questions....
Old 11-13-06, 12:31 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I would think a cheque is easier than physical money.
The dealer would not take cash from me I had to bring a certified check.
Old 11-13-06, 12:57 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mdw131
Higher end dealerships will allow you to charge more...When we got the Maserati serviced with new fluids, tires, alignment, LABOR, etc the bill was 3500. They took a CC with no questions....
yes, CC for service is no problem regardless of the amount, i was referring to the sales side, sorry for the confusion
Old 11-13-06, 07:01 PM
cowdung
Rookie

How do you like the Maserati?
Old 11-15-06, 12:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah service is a totally different story..... i always use cc, never paid a dime in cash..
Old 11-15-06, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Is paying cash a smart idea? If I told you that I had a mythical investment opportunity for you and your $70,000 and I could just about guarantee that in 4 years it would be worth half that amount would you be a player? The good old US Dollar is a piece of paper and has no backing in tangible value and as such has eroded in purchasing power for decades. Real Estate values have quadrupled during that time. Are all of these older houses worth so much more? NO! The Dollar has gone down in value. We have generally had some inflation for many years so this means that you will need more Dollars later to buy the same amount of goods. This reduces the cost of borrowing as you are paying back in less valuable Dollars over time. Now if you could take the mythical investment above and get a 10 percent return on it while paying 7 percent for financing then it would be a wash after taxes. If you can get greater than a 10 percent return then you should keep your cash and invest. Leasing may give the most leverage of your money.
Name me an investment guaranteed to get 10 percent?

Real estate may go up in value but a lot of that has to do with exhorbitant realtor fees that home owners feel they at LEAST need to recoup in the sale combined with property speculation by investors - buying a ton of lots to drive up phoney 'demand' and then sell the lots for twice (or more) the price. Happens everywhere.

But you make a very good point that most people don't think of, and that's taxes - if you take that loan out and decide to use your cash elsewhere, you'd better be getting a goooood rate of return to make it worthwhile.

Personally I like to pay cash because I then at least know I can actually afford the vehicle. Of course I couldn't do that for the first few cars I owned, but I still put a lot down.