LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just saw LS460L -- WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 09:06 PM
brt3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just saw LS460L -- WOW!

First, I am a pretty picky guy when it comes to details. Though I am in the #1 delivery position at our local dealer, I was prepared to be let down since we currently own a VW Phaeton. Say what you will (to each his own), but the Phaeton has been an amazing car for us. Unfortunately, the dealer is NOT particularly amazing -- at least not in ways that are positive...

Although I've always admired Lexus cars, they always seemed to be lacking a certain mojo. Not enough soul or mechanical communication going on for a lover of German and Italian machinery. However, the current German styling trend is not that appealing to me, and I can't imagine the service problems inherent in Maserati Quattroporte ownership...

So, to reiterate -- I expected to see the new LS460 and pick some nits!

The first car was a LS460/SWB, metallic green with the beige interior. My first reaction when I climbed inside was not a positive one; I just don't like the way most Japanese cars handle beige. The interior on this car was not up to the standard set by the Phaeton.

Then, the dealer pulled out a LS460L in silver with light gray leather and black birdseye maple trim. I was pretty thrilled when I saw it; something about the extra length in the car seems to balance the design, and it is STUNNING in silver!

I was equally pleased by the interior; the black wood looks very nice (similar to my E55 wagon), the Alcantara headliner is beautiful, and the details inside are spot on. Very easy and intuitive controls, AND everything works very well to boot! The voice command worked flawlessly; we played around and set the climate control and a GPS destination without a hitch. The GPS looks great, works fast, and has excellent graphics and redraw rate. Didn't get to play with the self-parking, but the Mark Levinson sound system was superb on FM (didn't have any CDs or iPod). As an aside, I am really finicky about the quality of most sound systems; you may laugh when I say it sounded great on FM, but most radios distort the frequencies and don't give clear reception in the hills of NorCal. This did NOT sound anything like the typical FM in most cars...

To make it short, we take delivery on Friday! Other than the tiny trunk (you lose SIX cubic feet to the icebox and air filtration systems -- at least that was the dealer's excuse) I can't find much fault here!

Last edited by brt3; 10-16-06 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 10-16-06, 09:17 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brt3
Other than the tiny trunk (you lose SIX cubic feet to the icebox and air filtration systems -- at least that was the dealer's excuse) I can't find much fault here!
not an excuse, thats a fact, 12 cubic ft with rear air vs 18 cubic ft without rear air
Old 10-16-06, 09:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, you certainly work fast! Welcome to CL by the way. I happen to like the Phaeton, I had a good impression of it from sitting inside one at the LA Auto Show.

I'm interested in your impressions of the LS 460 L...glad to hear the voice commands worked well, and I have high expectations for the ML sound system...are you going to test drive the car first?
Old 10-16-06, 09:55 PM
brt3
Driver

Default Ausgezeichnet!

Originally Posted by enigma888
Wow, you certainly work fast! I happen to like the Phaeton, I had a good impression of it from sitting inside one at the LA Auto Show. I'm interested in your impressions of the LS 460 L...glad to hear the voice commands worked well, and I have high expectations for the ML sound system...are you going to test drive the car first?
I've been on the wait list for just about one year. I was impressed enough by our "viewing" that we'll test drive it before delivery, but mainly just to check for "bugs" just in case. Having owned a number of Mercedes and BMW products, I believe the Germans should be afraid. Very afraid, in fact -- who cares if you build a great car that is ugly just to be different? If the driving dynamics on the Lexus are even close to the Germans -- all the reviews indicate that this will be the case -- then Hans und Dieter had better look out. Lexus was gaining before; I think they may have just blasted by -- in the fast lane, no less...
Old 10-16-06, 10:13 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you gonna keep the phaeton? I've always had a soft spot for that car. It's so good and no one seems to love it. I wonder what an audi dealer would say if you went to them for everything. I mean the a8 and pheaton are so similar they might just work on it. Or laugh at you.
Old 10-17-06, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, very nice, congrats man!!! so which dealership you go to, brt? stevens creek? i will be going there on friday on an invite
Old 10-17-06, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

I've been on the wait list for just about one year. I was impressed enough by our "viewing" that we'll test drive it before delivery, but mainly just to check for "bugs" just in case. Having owned a number of Mercedes and BMW products, I believe the Germans should be afraid. Very afraid, in fact -- who cares if you build a great car that is ugly just to be different? If the driving dynamics on the Lexus are even close to the Germans -- all the reviews indicate that this will be the case -- then Hans und Dieter had better look out. Lexus was gaining before; I think they may have just blasted by -- in the fast lane, no less...
pretty much sums it up... thanks
Old 10-17-06, 03:37 PM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by omarg
are you gonna keep the phaeton? I've always had a soft spot for that car. It's so good and no one seems to love it. I wonder what an audi dealer would say if you went to them for everything. I mean the a8 and pheaton are so similar they might just work on it. Or laugh at you.
Phaeton go bye-bye; I'll see what the dealer (Lexus of Marin) offers for a trade, but will likely end up selling it myself...
Old 10-17-06, 06:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats!! LOL....I was browsing through the autospies website, and I think your salesman shouted you out. I remember someone over there mentioning that someone was trading in their Phaeton for an LS460 this coming week.
Old 10-17-06, 06:49 PM
cowdung
Rookie

I've been on the wait list for just about one year.

Wow 1 year??? I didnt even know there was a new LS was coming out until i got a call from them. So far i love everything about the car except for the SAT radio. It cuts out too often! I have the same SAT radio in my other cars and they work fine in the same area! any thoughts on this?
Old 10-17-06, 07:01 PM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Congrats!! LOL....I was browsing through the autospies website, and I think your salesman shouted you out. I remember someone over there mentioning that someone was trading in their Phaeton for an LS460 this coming week.
That's pretty funny; I'm definitely the Phaeton dude, not the CEO/chauffeur guy...

Last edited by brt3; 10-18-06 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-06, 10:41 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Just sat in a silver LWB 460 with black leather and cranked it up... this is a sweet car. I am getting the GS350 today and will surely consider an upgrade to an LS soon... the rear seat room is just sick for this car... TONS of space... and the adjustable rear seats were fun to configure... I got very comfortable back there. Enjoy your new ride Friday!