LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Car Prices - Getting Out of Control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 04:02 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Prices - Getting Out of Control?

It just seems that new car prices are going crazy! You can still get a pretty well equipped big Lincoln or Cadillac for about 45,000. But, the new 07 Lexus’ are going to be in the 60,000 to 100,000 range. (Adding the premium package to the new base 460 will jump the price to about 75,000!) As we think about it, doesn’t this seem almost insane?

Regardless .. I’m going to get a new 460 or 460L. But, every so often, I get a “self wake-up” and think this has to be crazy for a CAR!

I paid 58,000 for my new Corvette with paddle shifters and I admit that when I drive it, I love it so much that I don’t give the price a second thought. So, maybe I’ll feel that way about the new 460 once I have it. But, I’m such a cheap skate that, sitting alone, sometimes I shiver when I think about the cost. If I get the L with the premium packages (which I always seem to do) with tax and all, it’s probably going end up being around 90,000. Isn’t that crazy??

But, here’s a thought: All the salesmen are trying to scare us into thinking that there’s going to be a HUGE waiting list for them! And, “maybe” they’re right. But, also, maybe when all these “prospective customers” realize that the price for these beautiful new models is in the 60 - 100,000 range, that touted list will diminish dramatically.

Many are making deposits. That fine. But, I’m going to wait and not get locked in to a specific dealer.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 05-07-06 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-06-06, 05:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i still think (again none of us will know until later) that the ls460 reasonably loaded will be around 66 to 70k. for 75 to 78k it will be the ls460 UL already, which is several k's above the current ls430 UL. if you want the 460l with reasonable packages (not fully loaded), i think 80k is a good price to shoot for

btw, most places you can put deposit and they are fully refundable, so i do't see the problem. and yes teh price of the car is high, but in areas where money is not really an issue, these cars sell hot.

for example when the 04 ls430 came out (face lift), the car that's backed with long list was the 430 UL. they had plenty of custom and modern in the lot. crazy huh
Old 05-06-06, 08:39 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
personally i still think (again none of us will know until later) that the ls460 reasonably loaded will be around 66 to 70k. for 75 to 78k it will be the ls460 UL already, which is several k's above the current ls430 UL. if you want the 460l with reasonable packages (not fully loaded), i think 80k is a good price to shoot for

btw, most places you can put deposit and they are fully refundable, so i do't see the problem. and yes teh price of the car is high, but in areas where money is not really an issue, these cars sell hot.

for example when the 04 ls430 came out (face lift), the car that's backed with long list was the 430 UL. they had plenty of custom and modern in the lot. crazy huh
I think Lexus should go for the top dollar this time around. I have been following LS pricing compared to its competitors like Audi A8 and BMW 7-series and I believe lexus has an excellent opportunity this fall to take a "Quantum Leap" in pricing.

The current LS 430 undercuts 7-series by 24% and S550 by a mind-boggling 48%. At this rate Lexus might as well be the second tier brand like volvo and Acura.

lexus should at least match Audi A8 pricing if it wants to be a global Luxury brand. This kind of cut-rate pricing will harm Lexus in long run IMO.

Initially it was okay for Lexus to undercut, to gain market share and create a buzz, but Lexus will have to seriously re-consider its business model in the coming years. Will cut-rate pricing still form part of the business strategy? If yes, then what will it do to the brand?
Old 05-06-06, 10:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Lexus should at least match Audi A8 pricing if it wants to be a global Luxury brand. This kind of cut-rate pricing will harm Lexus in long run IMO.
I think Lexus should still be a "bargain" compared to BMW and M.B. The latter have a lot of history, and although Lexus has become a strong luxo-brand, it still does not have the full respect of people, especially outside the U.S.

Right now, Lexus costs as much as BMW and M.B. in Europe. Are they selling well? This is where you will find the answer to how much Lexus should raise prices.
Old 05-06-06, 10:10 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Lexus should still be a "bargain" compared to BMW and M.B. The latter have a lot of history, and although Lexus has become a strong luxo-brand, it still does not have the full respect of people, especially outside the U.S.

Right now, Lexus costs as much as BMW and M.B. in Europe. Are they selling well? This is where you will find the answer to how much Lexus should raise prices.
compared to S550 yes, I agree. LS 460 and 460L if priced same as Audi A8 would still be a huge bargain (more than 14,000$) compared to big benz. More than 20% if you do the math. Thats huge!
Old 05-06-06, 11:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
It just seems that new car prices are going crazy! You can still get a pretty well equipped big Lincoln or Cadillac for about 45,000. But, the new 07 Lexus’ are going to be in the 60,000 to 100,000 range. (Adding the premium package to the new base 460 will jump the price to about 75,000!) As we think about it, doesn’t this seem almost insane?

Regardless .. I’m going to get a new 460 or 460L. But, every so often, I get a “self wake-up” and think this has to be crazy for a CAR!

I paid 58.000 for my new Corvette with paddle shifters and I admit that when I drive it, I love it so much that I don’t give the price a second thought. So, maybe I’ll feel that way about the new 460 once I have it. But, I’m such a cheap skate that, sitting alone, sometimes I shiver when I think about the cost. If I get the L with the premium packages (which I always seem to do) with tax and all, it’s probably going end up being around 90,000. Isn’t that crazy??

But, here’s a thought: All the salesmen are trying to scare us into thinking that there’s going to be a HUGE waiting list for them! And, “maybe” they’re right. But, also, maybe when all these “prospective customers” realize that the price for these beautiful new models is in the 60 - 100,000 range, that touted list will diminish dramatically.

Many are making deposits. That fine. But, I’m going to wait and not get locked in to a specific dealer.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
A loaded Caddy STS can hit close to 80k and I am not talking about the V series. The XLR is 100k which is ridiuculous.

Lexus continues to move upmarket while still offering more for the money than the Germans.
For those that have followed Lexus from the begining, to see the LS 400 start at 35k in 1989 and be 70k loaded for a 430 can be a bit of a

And the LS 600h L will extend that feeling

Overall, when u consider inflation and the additonal size, features, tech, power etc, it makes sense.

Even the IS 350, starts at 36k , there is an available 9k option package!
Old 05-07-06, 02:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
I think Lexus should go for the top dollar this time around. I have been following LS pricing compared to its competitors like Audi A8 and BMW 7-series and I believe lexus has an excellent opportunity this fall to take a "Quantum Leap" in pricing.

The current LS 430 undercuts 7-series by 24% and S550 by a mind-boggling 48%. At this rate Lexus might as well be the second tier brand like volvo and Acura.

lexus should at least match Audi A8 pricing if it wants to be a global Luxury brand. This kind of cut-rate pricing will harm Lexus in long run IMO.

Initially it was okay for Lexus to undercut, to gain market share and create a buzz, but Lexus will have to seriously re-consider its business model in the coming years. Will cut-rate pricing still form part of the business strategy? If yes, then what will it do to the brand?
i have said it before and i will say it again. i talked to lexus marketing people, and they are going head to head with s and 7 this time, but not with ALL ls series. the ls600hl at around 100k plus minus that's real head to head with top of the line bmw and mb, but yet cheaper than them. they are heading for those level of buyers. although i agree they have to raise the price high to "reach" those buyers and make them think "lexus is a serious car", i don't see the resaon for overpricing the car to 140k to match the s600 just because