LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Care Nut Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Steve, I always get a kick outta you staying engaged over here. Props to you Sir.
I gotta get my jollies somewhere lol
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (04-30-24)
Old 04-30-24, 09:37 PM
DJJG
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm new to this forum, and I've owned a variety of cars. According to AMD you should get an ES, or LS430. According to Scotty Kilmer you should get a Toyota Celica.

Here are my two cents from a working man:
Yeah the LS430 may be more reliable, but so is a bicycle. An LS430 feels old inside, no matter what you do, and frankly even a little cheap. Outside my wife thinks its an old man's car, while my LS460 outside looks more like an old mobster's car (ie a bit more cool). For God's sake its got 100 more horsepower. Its a different car. Mine is black inside, I feel like a herd of cattle were slaughtered just for the door panel, and tribes in the Amazon were displaced just to harvest the wood. Its the only car I need to turn down the bass. And God forbid if you have a belly or are a little tall; the ES will not cut it especially if you need to use the backseat.

When I was looking at these cars, I saw that a lower mileage (less than 100k) on an LS460 still would go around 15k+ (one that didnt look like it came out of a retirement home). Folks those also arent necessarily the cheapest as well. I've got a 2009 LS460, it was a little bit more, but still affordable.

Each one of my cars I feel like a different person. This one makes me feel like a million bucks after a long day at work with a really long commute. And I can tell you they dont make cars like this anymore; everything now is with screens screens screens and turbos.

AMD would be more of a mensch if he could post a video on how to fix those common issues. Otherwise its just fear ****.
The following 4 users liked this post by DJJG:
bobusa (05-02-24), Boomin (05-01-24), HJP12 (05-04-24), SW17LS (05-02-24)
Old 05-02-24, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And bear in mind Amd owned a W221 S Class...and he made videos about how much he loved it despite calling it a "nightmare to live with" in a later video. Reliability isn't everything, even to him.
Old 05-03-24, 12:45 PM
DJJG
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I remember that, in fact I was also looking for a W221 S Class before I found the LS460.

Sometimes his smugness reminds me a bit of old liberals who went to Ivy League colleges.
Old 05-05-24, 10:45 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Sometimes the most impressive and performing cars might not be the most reliable, and that is perfectly fine.

This is why many will still fork out a ton of dough for an S-Class knowing that it might start having reliability issues later down the road which could bankrupt most people, but the well to do don’t care about reliability as much, since in their mind, they plan on replacing that 3 year old S-Class for a new one.

This is why I believe for years, the luxury German brands have simply neglected trying to be very “reliable”, and focused more on the ultra high end performance, latest techs and advanced features in their vehicles which their customers demand.

But even today, we are seeing tons of plastic parts making their way into luxury vehicles powertrain which screams utter cheapness.

Getting inside my 05 430 definitely feels like I stepped “way back” in time compared to my 07 460 which feels a lot more modern even to this day, compared to the 430.

Both cars are awesome and I enjoy driving both, but I have to say, I tend to cherish my 430 a bit more, and want try to preserve it as much as I can since these cars are getting very hard to come by in really nice condition for a reasonable price. Since it seems lately the 04-06 low mileage LS 430’s are selling for outrageous asking prices, while you can still find some nice LS 460’s out there for much more reasonable prices, but then, it depends on the trim package you’re getting and what features it has which can really affect the price of the car. The 430 does have a better build quality than my 460, better materials and the fit n finish is tighter as well. I noticed this right away with the door panel comparison, and door closing. The 430 feels a lot nicer especially in the CL or UL package trim with the stitched leather panels.

After owning my 156,000 mile 07 460L model with air suspension, the only repairs I have had to do, is, nothing.

Just basic routine maintenance, and installing new brakes, and a brake flush within the last month. The engine does burn some oil, so I am always having to top it off here and there. It’s still very quiet and smooth to drive, although I do now need new air struts all around as the car has started to ride too bouncy.

I personally have always felt that the LS 430 is way too small to be considered a large luxury sedan, especially as someone that has owned old school Cadillacs and Lincoln Continental land yachts which put both the 430 and 460 to shame in terms of riding comfort and overall true luxury car size.

To me, as wonderful as the 430 is, it’s more mid-size, while the 460L models does feel a bit more like a proper full size luxury sedan, especially on the interior mainly backseat legroom and its creature comforts. The longer rear doors gives the car a slight “Fleetwood” vibe to me

Now, as we all talk about which car rides better, and is smoother to drive, nothing compares, even I am sure a brand new S-Class, rides as smoothly, isolating and is softly sprung than a mid 70’s Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood and a 70’s Lincoln Continental Town Car edition. Those both cars have a basic suspension setup, nothing sophisticated at all, a simple rear 4 or 3 link coil spring setup, SLA suspension up front, yet these cars ride smooth as glass and can take serious punishment from terrible road conditions.

So a luxury car doesn’t need any of this crazy suspension design to ride smooth and to feel total isolation. What’s desperately missing in all of this, is a separate body on frame which is far superior when it comes to NVH levels over any unibody constructed car. Ask me how I know all of this? I’ve owned many classic Caddy’s and Lincoln’s from the past and the best riding cars i have ever owned so far is my 64 Cadillac Sedan Deville and my 78 Lincoln Continental that just glides over everything with complete silence and ultimate smoothness.

Sure the 460 and 430 might be quieter to drive than those big boats of the past, but when I drive over a very rough patch of road where I live, and the asphalt is all tore up, I will get road impacts, and vibrations entering the cabin of both cars, while I would feel nothing at all in my Cad or Lincoln. Plus the door glass is extremely thick on these old cars, it’s almost bulletproof looking lol. You barely hear cars driving past you.

Everyones experience will be different depending on how their 460 was maintained from their previous owners, to say which car is more reliable really depends on how well that 460 or 430
was taken care of and how the previous owners drove the car. I’d say the later 13+ models are the ones to buy because you avoid the sticky interior panels of the earlier models. Which was a huge eyesore for our cars. I might upgrade to the newer 13 on up years if I can find a nice low mileage one that’s an L
model. It’s either L, or nothing! 😎😁

The following users liked this post:
bobusa (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
So a luxury car doesn’t need any of this crazy suspension design to ride smooth and to feel total isolation. What’s desperately missing in all of this, is a separate body on frame which is far superior when it comes to NVH levels over any unibody constructed car. Ask me how I know all of this? I’ve owned many classic Caddy’s and Lincoln’s from the past and the best riding cars i have ever owned so far is my 64 Cadillac Sedan Deville and my 78 Lincoln Continental that just glides over everything with complete silence and ultimate smoothness.

Sure the 460 and 430 might be quieter to drive than those big boats of the past, but when I drive over a very rough patch of road where I live, and the asphalt is all tore up, I will get road impacts, and vibrations entering the cabin of both cars, while I would feel nothing at all in my Cad or Lincoln. Plus the door glass is extremely thick on these old cars, it’s almost bulletproof looking lol. You barely hear cars driving past you.
The difference in when you go to turn in those old cars. A car does need all of that suspension design to deliver a soft smooth ride AND be able to corner with confidence and stability. Those old cars were great in a straight line, but when the road became curvy in any way they were a real chore to drive.

Thats where the Germans really excel, in suspension design and the duality it gives their cars.