LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New oil dark after starting engine once

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 11:42 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New oil dark after starting engine once

I accidentally putted to much oil into my engine wile servicing it so I decided to take some of it out.

I was shocked because the color of the oil was deep black. I putted it in a plastic bottle and I could hold my phone LED behind it but it has 0 transparency.

Can this be normal? Engine only has about 70k miles.
Old 03-29-21, 12:20 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

You sure it's not transmission fluid? If not I'd change the oil and filter and monitor it closely.
Old 03-29-21, 12:42 PM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911LE
You sure it's not transmission fluid? If not I'd change the oil and filter and monitor it closely.
Haha no i'm very sure. The tranny fluid should be crisp and clean because thats flushed already.

It had its engine oil changes about every 13000 miles
Old 03-29-21, 01:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Oil change every 13,000 miles? That's a pretty long stretch for OCI especially if you make lots of short trips. Even with full synthetic I change oil every 6-7k miles, although many folks go up to 10k miles.

The new oil will look clear/clean after an oil change for a while if; 1) you take the time to allow a full drain meaning no more drips from either oil pan drain or oil filter mount point, 2) the car is jacked up into a position where the engine drains completely. Some vehicles when jacked up at certain angle may not fully drain every last bit of oil.
Old 03-29-21, 01:49 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by NLLex
Haha no i'm very sure. The tranny fluid should be crisp and clean because thats flushed already.

It had its engine oil changes about every 13000 miles
Well, dirty oil means it's doing it's job with it's detergents. I would shorten your oci and see if it helps. What kind of oil are you running?
Old 03-29-21, 01:57 PM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

What color was the oil that came out at your servicing? The same color?
Old 03-29-21, 02:10 PM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Oil change every 13,000 miles? That's a pretty long stretch for OCI especially if you make lots of short trips. Even with full synthetic I change oil every 6-7k miles, although many folks go up to 10k miles.

The new oil will look clear/clean after an oil change for a while if; 1) you take the time to allow a full drain meaning no more drips from either oil pan drain or oil filter mount point, 2) the car is jacked up into a position where the engine drains completely. Some vehicles when jacked up at certain angle may not fully drain every last bit of oil.
I failed to jack it up to that angle... I never like to jack it up at an angle when its not absolutely necessarily because of the torsion in the chassis. Maybe I should think of something next time.

Originally Posted by 911LE
Well, dirty oil means it's doing it's job with it's detergents. I would shorten your oci and see if it helps. What kind of oil are you running?
Do you mean that this could be better then somebody who has driven about the same milage and has more clear oil? Running on Mobil 5w30.

Originally Posted by TominPT
What color was the oil that came out at your servicing? The same color?
That was even way darker and polluted.
Old 03-29-21, 06:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The filter was changed too?

At 13,000 miles this may be to long of an interval to change oil if it is coming out black. How is the car driven typically? Stop go, highway?

Old 03-29-21, 07:11 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

I think he's saying the oil he just put in and then drained back out after starting the car just once came out dark, not the 13,000 mile oil
The following users liked this post:
Mrslady (03-31-21)
Old 03-29-21, 08:18 PM
oifish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Send a sample to Blackstone Labs. They'll give you a full analysis of whats in the oil. I used them every couple of years with my old Volvo 740 Turbo just to monitor the health of my engine. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/
Old 03-30-21, 12:56 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RA40
The filter was changed too?

At 13,000 miles this may be to long of an interval to change oil if it is coming out black. How is the car driven typically? Stop go, highway?
Old oil was very deep black... New oil after starting once was quite black. No light was coming through the soda bottle.

Originally Posted by Ellesse
I think he's saying the oil he just put in and then drained back out after starting the car just once came out dark, not the 13,000 mile oil
Correct

Originally Posted by oifish
Send a sample to Blackstone Labs. They'll give you a full analysis of whats in the oil. I used them every couple of years with my old Volvo 740 Turbo just to monitor the health of my engine. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/
I dont have much left because I already mixed it with other old oil. I may have half of a shot drink glass left. I also dont know if they do their business in Europe.
Old 03-30-21, 08:50 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 195 Posts

13000 Km or 13000 Miles?
I change mine at 10000 Miles only because I mostly do motorway miles. Sounds like you need more frequent oil changes.

I've always used https://www.theoillab.co.uk/product-...y/oil-testing/ but after Brex****, you may want to find a company in the EU to analyse your oil.
Old 03-30-21, 10:22 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
13000 Km or 13000 Miles?
I change mine at 10000 Miles only because I mostly do motorway miles. Sounds like you need more frequent oil changes.

I've always used https://www.theoillab.co.uk/product-...y/oil-testing/ but after Brex****, you may want to find a company in the EU to analyse your oil.
No its 13k miles and I just bought it like that. Last oil change last 3 years before I got it.

Do you know the price for that oil check?

I've heard there are many affordable LS430's in the UK. Do you happen to know a scrapyard where I can find parts?
Old 03-30-21, 11:07 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

One issue is that the prior owner decided to neglect it so there may be residue that is being cleaned off with the fresh oil. I'd suggest draining it again and use a fresh filter as well. I'd also be suspicious and have the differential, transmission and brake fluid serviced too.
Old 03-30-21, 11:09 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RA40
One issue is that the prior owner decided to neglect it so there may be residue that is being cleaned off with the fresh oil. I'd suggest draining it again and use a fresh filter as well. I'd also be suspicious and have the differential, transmission and brake fluid serviced too.
Good idea. I was just ordering oil but forget to research the exact viscosity of the diff oil and steeringwheel fluid so I told them that I would email them tomorrow.

Tranny has new oil.

Quick Reply: New oil dark after starting engine once