LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY LS430 VSV (VACUUM SWITCHING VALVE) for EVAP cleaning / replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 10:10 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Update on the EVAP valve.

Still highly impressed about cleaning the valve with wd-40. As a reminder, I do not know whether other cleaners / solvents do the similar job with similar results, but I should say that in my case the EVAP issue was definitely present in my car and was NOT detected by ECM. My acceleration and driving pattern remain the same as well as fuel consumption benefits.

We need more feedback on cleaning this valve with Wd-40 to officially recommend this procedure as a maintenance procedure for high mileage ls430. If anyone have performed this diy, please share your thoughts whether it helped or not.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (06-16-19)
Old 06-26-19, 05:30 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wanted to add my data point for reference. Had some extra time tonight and thought I would clean my VSV, even though I only have 85,000 miles.

I'm kind of shocked and what a difference it made. I thought my car was quiet and smooth before, now I have a hard time knowing it's on while idling, and there is practically zero vibration or engine noise even when driving.

I only had the opportunity to drive around my neighborhood at around 25 mph so far but I'm very impressed at the difference. Will report back on any change in MPG and freeway speed performance.

The only change I made to the DIY was to use PB Blaster as I didn't have any WD40, but it is an acceptable substitute.

Great recommendation and write up!
LowkeyLS (06-20-21)
Old 06-26-19, 05:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Interesting. I think I'll give this a try this weekend on SC.
Old 06-26-19, 05:52 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts

Question on this, do Lexus ECUs "relearn" themselves after a battery disconnect? IE a soft reset type deal? I work with Subaru's primarily, and with a battery disconnect, the vehicle "relearns" its idle, etc post re-connection, and it feels like new again. Just wondering if that phenomena plays into this preventative maintenance job at all. The fact that after a few days, OP is still seeing a difference makes me think this might truly be valuable.
Old 06-27-19, 05:00 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Yes, the LS does "re-learn" a bit if the battery is disconnected, however I didnt disconnect my battery when I did mine, but probably should have.
Old 06-27-19, 07:09 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
Wanted to add my data point for reference. Had some extra time tonight and thought I would clean my VSV, even though I only have 85,000 miles.

I'm kind of shocked and what a difference it made. I thought my car was quiet and smooth before, now I have a hard time knowing it's on while idling, and there is practically zero vibration or engine noise even when driving.

I only had the opportunity to drive around my neighborhood at around 25 mph so far but I'm very impressed at the difference. Will report back on any change in MPG and freeway speed performance.

The only change I made to the DIY was to use PB Blaster as I didn't have any WD40, but it is an acceptable substitute.

Great recommendation and write up!
Thank you for contributing to the topic. PB blaster is now on accepted as a great alternative to WD-40 for this diy

Its also amazing how quickly Lexus responds to the change of evap and fuel pressure. It makes me think that emission control is precise and can affect / improve engine performance in every possible way.
Old 06-27-19, 07:32 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by kos
Question on this, do Lexus ECUs "relearn" themselves after a battery disconnect? IE a soft reset type deal? I work with Subaru's primarily, and with a battery disconnect, the vehicle "relearns" its idle, etc post re-connection, and it feels like new again. Just wondering if that phenomena plays into this preventative maintenance job at all. The fact that after a few days, OP is still seeing a difference makes me think this might truly be valuable.
Good point here. Everyone’s Evap system may have a variety of conditions as it all starts with what fuel do we use. Vapors enter the charcoal canister, then the air pressure is regulated through different valves, causing ecm to inject the proper vapor amount back in the intake. Extra air coming in at the right time improve engine timing, fuel/air ratio and engine/transmission characteristics in the low rpm range.

its been more than 2 weeks since I cleaned the valve and I am consistently observing the same result.
Old 06-27-19, 07:42 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

I'll also add that after my first longer drive (~25 miles), car is still running very smooth. I did not see much of a difference in MPG, although I never had an issue before (typical 26-27MPG on freeway drive) but maybe a tick better MPG after the cleaning, but really the main take away from my cleaning is the smoothness and quietness increase, and this was coming from and already smooth and quiet car.

The very minor vibration at idle is completely gone and even my wife, who couldn't care less about cars, even was shocked how quiet and smooth the car was when idling.

For those wondering, it really is a 5 minute cleaning, then just letting the valve sit to dry out...easy enough that there is practically no reason not to do it when doing other routine maintenance.
Old 06-27-19, 05:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I just did it on my SC430. I only have 65k miles and it was not clogged or particularly dirty. Very minor improvement but good maintenance.
Old 06-29-19, 02:45 AM
Hklexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does cleaning the vsv has as much of an improvement as replacing the fuel pulsation dampers? I just replaced mine and felt the car become much smoother and would like to see if cleaning the vsv can make it even smoother
Old 06-29-19, 08:49 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hklexus
Does cleaning the vsv has as much of an improvement as replacing the fuel pulsation dampers? I just replaced mine and felt the car become much smoother and would like to see if cleaning the vsv can make it even smoother
Properly cleaning VSV may stabilize the vapors pressure as well as replacing fuel dampers stabilized your fuel lines pressure. Ideally, it brings the benefit, however, only if your valve was dirty and required maintenance.
Old 06-30-19, 02:32 PM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, so I cleaned out the valve today with WD-40. The hoses held up fine, but...the electrical connector completely disintegrated and the pins pulled out of the connector! I managed to just push the pins into the connector and tried to hold them on with zip ties. How do I fix this? Can I order just the plastic connector piece and reuse the pins, or do I have to splice in brand new wires?

I'm so bummed out right now

Note: the car started right up with no CEL or anything, but I haven't driven it yet
Old 06-30-19, 02:45 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Longmire
OK, so I cleaned out the valve today with WD-40. The hoses held up fine, but...the electrical connector completely disintegrated and the pins pulled out of the connector! I managed to just push the pins into the connector and tried to hold them on with zip ties. How do I fix this? Can I order just the plastic connector piece and reuse the pins, or do I have to splice in brand new wires?

I'm so bummed out right now

Note: the car started right up with no CEL or anything, but I haven't driven it yet
Should be either 90980-11156 or 90980-11162
If you don't have a Lexus dealer near by, or even if you do, any Toyota dealer can order them.

Last edited by bradland; 06-30-19 at 03:40 PM.
LowkeyLS (06-20-21)
Old 06-30-19, 03:01 PM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Should be either 90980-11156 or 90980-11162
If you don't have a Lexus dealer, or even if you do, any Toyota dealer can order them.
Thank you. Ok, just to clarify, I have loose wires with little female ends on them, and I pushed them onto the male pins on the valve. My main concern is whether I need to cut the wires and solder new wire/terminal ends on them (which I don't know how to do), or if I can just push the wires into a new plastic connector?

Edit: I have an 2001 if it matters

Last edited by Longmire; 06-30-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 03:07 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

I can't see the severity of your situation but here's a good link- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-write-up.html

Quick Reply: DIY LS430 VSV (VACUUM SWITCHING VALVE) for EVAP cleaning / replacement procedure