Strange Sound at Rest

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 12:05 PM
VMBranch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Sound at Rest

Hi,

I have a 2005 LS 430 and the car vibrated at rest. It sounds like it was getting ready to cut off and it was right beneath my driver side. The lexus dealership told me it was the left and right motor mounts. I had my reliable mechanic change them, I ordered the parts online from a lexus dealer, and the noise/sensation still persists.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-06-19, 12:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by VMBranch
Hi,

I have a 2005 LS 430 and the car vibrated at rest. It sounds like it was getting ready to cut off and it was right beneath my driver side. The lexus dealership told me it was the left and right motor mounts. I had my reliable mechanic change them, I ordered the parts online from a lexus dealer, and the noise/sensation still persists.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Very unusual for motor mounts to fail in our cars. I wish I had a suggestion as to what to look for. Did your Indy check the condition of the motor mounts before he changed them?
Old 05-06-19, 12:17 PM
VMBranch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Very unusual for motor mounts to fail in our cars. I wish I had a suggestion as to what to look for. Did your Indy check the condition of the motor mounts before he changed them?
No, I just took the suggestion of the Lexus Dealer and didn't ask the mechanic to give me his read on the issue. I am so mad right now because the issue is not fixed. It feels like the muffler or something but this is from someone who knows nothing about cars. Is this an option?
Old 05-06-19, 04:34 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Y pipe?

No, I just took the suggestion of the Lexus Dealer and didn't ask the mechanic to give me his read on the issue. I am so mad right now because the issue is not fixed. It feels like the muffler or something but this is from someone who knows nothing about cars. Is this an option?
If it is an exhaust issue a common failure point on our cars is the Y pipe. I think DC is road salt territory. Moisture and salt get trapped and cause corrosion and Y pipe failure. I've got an Ohio car and my service records show the Y pipe replaced due to noise. It is a pricey part. I would at least look at it, in road salt areas it's a common issue.
Old 05-06-19, 05:15 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Did the characteristic of the vibration change after you replaced the motor mounts?

Did you look at the tachometer to see if the RPM dropped excessively? Say, below 500RPM? If so, put the car in "N" to see if the vibration improves.

I would also check the condition of the 3rd mount at the end of the transmission.
Old 05-06-19, 06:58 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

I had an old Mercedes where this happened, I changed out the motor mounts etc. but it ended up being one of the coil packs causing it. Changed my plugs, wires, and coils and it was smooth again.
I'm assuming these cars are way more sophisticated than that old banger so it would throw a code to tell you this if it was so, but just sharing
Old 05-07-19, 10:49 AM
VMBranch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Did the characteristic of the vibration change after you replaced the motor mounts?

Yes, the vibration did change after the left and right motor mounts were changed.

Did you look at the tachometer to see if the RPM dropped excessively? Say, below 500RPM? If so, put the car in "N" to see if the vibration improves.

I will test and see .

I would also check the condition of the 3rd mount at the end of the transmission.
I will take this under advisement. Thank you very much