LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Differential assembly to be replaced (2004 LS 430)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 05:51 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential assembly to be replaced (2004 LS 430)

Did anyone have a chance to replace rear differential assembly? Mine is damaged and the dealership recommends to replace and their asking price is over $4000 with a used one. I am told their price for OEM costing 2k more. I will need to see if any local shop can do it at a reasonable cost. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-30-19, 06:03 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Since 2008 regular viewer on this forum, never seen a differential replaced, might of missed one? Changing dif fluids easy do it every 75 k miles or so.
Old 04-30-19, 06:15 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Sorry to share that mine is a rarity. Mine was leaking right after purchasing back in Dec. 2017 and I had the dealership fix it. They changed differential oil after replacing pinion seal. Not sure what happened. I only drove about 40k miles after differential oil changed.
Old 04-30-19, 07:17 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Attached is taken from the factory repair manual. If you're thinking of a rip-and-replace, then you can skip the tear-down section of the procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Differential.pdf (834.8 KB, 316 views)
Old 04-30-19, 07:39 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Attached is taken from the factory repair manual. If you're thinking of a rip-and-replace, then you can skip the tear-down section of the procedure.
Thanks much. It looks complicated..The dealership says about 8-9 hours job. I am not sure at this point if I can do it myself. Don’t have time to repair. I am looking for a used part so that a local technician can install at a reasonable cost. Hope it can be replaced less than $1000. What do you think? Also what is the best place to buy the part? After having this issue, I came to conclusion that LS 430 2004 may not be reliable as we thought. I think we may be biased because of the rumors. How can I support reliability of LS 430 when non maintenance items such as a differential assembly gets to be replaced? I am losing confidence...
Old 04-30-19, 08:07 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

A "damaged" differential (your description from previous post} has nothing to do with reliability. But, you are free to your opinion.
Old 04-30-19, 08:17 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by asc2000
Did anyone have a chance to replace rear differential assembly? Mine is damaged and the dealership recommends to replace and their asking price is over $4000 with a used one. I am told their price for OEM costing 2k more. I will need to see if any local shop can do it at a reasonable cost. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please share the name of dealership that quoted $4,000 for installing a used differential.

If you have a written estimate, redact your personal.information and post it.

I purchased a like new differential.with 40,000 miles fpr my 1999 LS400 from California with shipping to Chicago cost me $250.

I have sourcing on a used LS430.differential from 2001 LS430.with 160, 000 miles.

Quite possibly you can locate a donor vehicle with less mileage.

The question is with aged rubber seals and FIPG..should they be replaced whether low miles or not.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-30-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 09:13 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

How was the differential damaged? Can you provide any details?
As others have posted above this is a rather worry-free part on a 430. Even when the fluid isn't changed they almost never fail. When it does happen it's usually the ring and pinion that endures the damage. They are designed to be replaced while keeping the differential assembly intact. A brand new Lexus ring and pinion (internet price) is a little over $900 but it's not a job for a shade-tree mechanic. Find a shop you can trust who stands behind their work. You can prob find them used at a salvage yard...

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...QtM2wtdjgtZ2Fz
Old 04-30-19, 10:39 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Complete carrier assemblies are all over eBay for anywhere from $100.00 to $200.00 plus shipping. Replacement is no big deal and most you'll need is axel seals. Most shops can do this in a couple of hours.
Be sure to get the front and rear bushings. Usually they come installed in the carrier.
Most of the photos I saw indicated very little wear. A quick look at the rubber U joint (propellor shaft) mount indicates condition.
Go to Wal Mart and buy two quarts of their full synthetic gear oil. Put that in the carrier.

Should be able to do the whole deal for $600.00. I'd do it myself for a lot less.

Loren
Old 04-30-19, 11:26 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
Complete carrier assemblies are all over eBay for anywhere from $100.00 to $200.00 plus shipping. Replacement is no big deal and most you'll need is axel seals. Most shops can do this in a couple of hours.
Be sure to get the front and rear bushings. Usually they come installed in the carrier.
Most of the photos I saw indicated very little wear. A quick look at the rubber U joint (propellor shaft) mount indicates condition.
Go to Wal Mart and buy two quarts of their full synthetic gear oil. Put that in the carrier.

Should be able to do the whole deal for $600.00. I'd do it myself for a lot less.

Loren
I had no idea the entire assembly is so readily available (used) and so cheap.
THIS seems to be the way to go...
Old 05-01-19, 12:20 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by jayclapp
A "damaged" differential (your description from previous post} has nothing to do with reliability. But, you are free to your opinion.
Yes, it is my personal view about LS 430 given the following items: all 4 wheel bearing assemblies replaced because of whining noises when move, front Drivers’s door lock not working since 2 months ago, exhaust heat shield starts rattling a month ago, differential problem. I know this is a very old car and I understand age related issues.
Old 05-01-19, 12:25 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Please share the name of dealership that quoted $4,000 for installing a used differential.

If you have a written estimate, redact your personal.information and post it.

I purchased a like new differential.with 40,000 miles fpr my 1999 LS400 from California with shipping to Chicago cost me $250.

I have sourcing on a used LS430.differential from 2001 LS430.with 160, 000 miles.

Quite possibly you can locate a donor vehicle with less mileage.

The question is with aged rubber seals and FIPG..should they be replaced whether low miles or not.
Thanks for the info. Sounds encouraging. The dealership service person looks nice and kind and I do not want to blame but here is showing $4403.

Last edited by asc2000; 05-01-19 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 12:45 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
As others have posted above this is a rather worry-free part on a 430. Even when the fluid isn't changed they almost never fail. When it does happen it's usually the ring and pinion that endures the damage. They are designed to be replaced while keeping the differential assembly intact. A brand new Lexus ring and pinion (internet price) is a little over $900 but it's not a job for a shade-tree mechanic. Find a shop you can trust who stands behind their work. You can prob find them used at a salvage yard...

As I mentioned earlier, differential pinion seal was leaking when purchased at 59k miles . I purchased la 430 from an old lady who did not drive much. Sitting too much in the garage is not good I guess. The dealership repaired it and even differential oil changed 40 k miles ago. That is it and a few weeks ago whining noise or high pitching noise developed on move from rear right I thought it was a bad wheel bearing so I replaced it. But the same noise no change. Took it to a dealership to get inspected. There test drove with a technician and I was told bad differential bearing causing and with about $650 estimate to fix. They gave me a loaner car on Monday and called me yesterday with the 4400 repair fee, telling me that their master technician inspected and found it messed up terribly when opened up.

Last edited by asc2000; 05-01-19 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 12:48 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland

Originally Posted by lorenr

Loren
thanks. I guess I will need to ask if they can take a pic and show it to me so that I can verify how terrible it is.
Old 05-01-19, 01:02 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Thank you all for responding to my inquiry. I do not think I will repair as my wife wants me to get a new car and stay away from repair problems. Wasting too much time. I am not enjoying with this car. That is for sure now. I will see what brings tomorrow. Again I appreciate you all who kindly taking time sharing rich knowledge. That is the wonderful but important benefit of this auto forum.

Quick Reply: Differential assembly to be replaced (2004 LS 430)