LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 LS 430 Ultra luxury with Laser cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 07:47 AM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 LS 430 Ultra luxury with Laser cruise?

I have been looking for a new LS430 or 460. Looked at a 2005 Ultra Luxury locally, but the guy decided not to sell it. Ran across another one, but 2006. I had thought all Ultra luxury package 04-06 with pre-collision system had radar. Well this one according to Lexus spec's and the pictures, it has a pre-collision system with laser cruise... ODD

I actually think the radar cruise is better. Wonder why in 2006 they would make them both ways? Unless the customer ordered it this way custom? Anyone else sees 2005 and 2006 ultra luxury packages with pre-collision, with laser cruise?

Thanks
Old 04-27-19, 07:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

As far as I know the 04-06 only had radar cruise control. I’ve never ran into one with laser cruise control. I’ll have to do some research on this. That would be interesting to have them both as options.

The interesting thing about the radar cruise control in the LS is that it’s the same system the newer Lexus all use.
The following users liked this post:
IchBin (04-27-19)
Old 04-27-19, 08:22 AM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

PORT- OR FACTORY-INSTALLED EQUIPMENT

FT 18" All-Season Tires with Alloy WheelsFactory
IN Interior Package with Semi Aniline Leather TrimFactory
P2 Sirius Satellite RadioPort
UN Ultra Luxury Selection w/Pre-Collision System: EMV Mark Levinsion Audio/Navigation System with Back-up Camera, Voice Command and Bluetooth, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, Air Suspension, Smart Access, Manual Rear Door Sunshades, Rear Seat Adjuster with Power/Slide and Memory, Intuitive Parking Assist, Front and Rear Climate Control Seats with Heat & Cool ****, Rear Air Conditioner w/Air Purifier, Headlamp Washer, Laminated Side Glass, Power Door Closer, Rear Seat Swivel-Type Reading LampsFactory
Z1 Preferred Accessory Package Trunk Mat, Cargo Net and Wheel LocksPort

I don't think it has both. It does have the special grill where the radar unit gets mounted, but maybe that is the standard UL grill. Or the pre-collision system is still mounted behind that plastic Lexus symbol
Old 04-27-19, 08:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

It should be radar cruise control then. The radar cruise models usually had the clear plastic over the front emblem on the grille if I’m not mistaken. The laser cruise models had a cut out in the front bumper if I’m not mistaken.
Old 04-27-19, 08:59 AM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
It should be radar cruise control then. The radar cruise models usually had the clear plastic over the front emblem on the grill if I’m not mistaken. The laser cruise models had a cut out in the front bumper if I’m not mistaken.
I know that is what I thought.... It has both! The cutout in the lower bumper and the odd-looking plastic emblem on the grill. I am pretty sure the pre-collision system uses radar, so I have no idea why they would put laser cruise on it. I get the cars without pre-collision having laser cruise, but seems odd to have pre-collision, and not radar cruise, especially in the last year of 2006.

Old 04-27-19, 10:35 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

The CL package came with laser cruise - no radar/PCS
The Custom Luxury Selection ($5,935) includes the Mark Levinson audio, navigation system, rear backup camera, Bluetooth, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Intuitive Parking Assist, climate-controlled front seats, rear seat heaters, headlamp washers, and power door closers.

Bumper must have been replaced with the wrong one at some point. (or the grill was replaced and there is no radar) There should be no laser distance module with the radar grille.

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 04-27-19, 02:15 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreed, I had radar cruise on my Prius, same same as LS, braking on the Prius was smoother but same system. Odd you would have both. Is there a laser module in the cutout on the bumper.
That said, it's one of the best features ever. The Prius spoiled me, radar cruise was required on the LS, took a while to find my car.
Old 04-27-19, 06:41 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

There was an ultra luxury selection with or without PCS. Most had it, though. From what I understand it came later in production year 2004.
Old 04-30-19, 10:25 AM
Slexus430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it was switched over halfway through 2004
Old 04-30-19, 11:18 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The plastic over the emblem is for the PCS system. The cutout in the lower bumper is for the radar cruise control. The two systems are separate. The Custom Luxury package will have the cutout in the lower bumper for the radar cruise, but not the plastic cover over the emblem. The Ultra Luxury will have both the plastic cover and the cutout in the lower bumper.

Originally Posted by IchBin
I know that is what I thought.... It has both! The cutout in the lower bumper and the odd-looking plastic emblem on the grill. I am pretty sure the pre-collision system uses radar, so I have no idea why they would put laser cruise on it. I get the cars without pre-collision having laser cruise, but seems odd to have pre-collision, and not radar cruise, especially in the last year of 2006.
Old 04-30-19, 11:53 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The plastic over the emblem is for the PCS system. The cutout in the lower bumper is for the radar cruise control. The two systems are separate. The Custom Luxury package will have the cutout in the lower bumper for the radar cruise, but not the plastic cover over the emblem. The Ultra Luxury will have both the plastic cover and the cutout in the lower bumper.
That makes no sense unless they couldn't figure out how to get cruise to work with the radar / PCS sensor at the time? That would mean they were forced to use the laser module for cruise and the radar assembly for PCS only. Seems over the top.

When the LS460 came out the PCS / radar was used for both cruise and pre-crash. I always assumed it was the same for the LS430.

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 04-30-19, 04:37 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The PCS/radar system was't ready for production and therefore not available when the 04 LS539 started production in Oct 2003
Old 04-30-19, 04:39 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Interesting, so it was just a brief period of time in early 2004. First time I've seen one or heard of it.
Old 04-30-19, 06:08 PM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

I have the car on hold and I am going to pick it up Friday. I will find out exactly what it has and report back.
The following users liked this post:
tiger02 (05-02-19)
Old 05-05-19, 03:59 PM
IchBin
Driver School Candidate

I ended up not buying it. It was in cosmetic rougher shape than most ls430 I have seen. I took it to a shop to have it inspected, and both front shocks needed to be replaced. One was leaking badly. Also when we lowered the hoist the rear shocks compressed completely but the fronts did not move. So I asked to have them knock off $1000 for the car, and they refused to budge. Without knowing how much it was going to cost to repair the air suspension, I felt the rest of the car cosmetics was too much. It just wasn't in good enough condition for me to want to buy it.

The answer about radar cruise and pre-collision.... and being listed as laser cruise control.

I think Lexus has it labeled wrong on their website as having laser cruise for that VIN. It was not supposed to be offered. It did have the ultra luxury package, with working Radar cruise and a pre-collision system. The front bumper as replaced, and since Lexus has that VIN labeled as laser cruise, someone put the wrong front bumper on it, as I suspected. There was no laser cruise module in the bumper.

Quick Reply: 2006 LS 430 Ultra luxury with Laser cruise?