LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

sudden oil leak front passenger side HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 01:52 PM
rktinc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sudden oil leak front passenger side HELP?

I have a pristine 2003 LS 430 with 75k miles. Oil change about a month ago with no issues. Car is perfect. This morning I notice a 2 inch blob of motor oil on my garage floor. The car has never leaked. It appears to be near the very front of the car on the passenger side. Could it be an oil cooler hose or other odd part. Car is not low on oil in any way. I know valve covers can leak but this is a sudden leak over night which never existed before.

I know thoughts?

Thanks,

RKTINC
Old 04-10-19, 02:03 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Power steering fluid, maybe?

If the plastic cover under the engine bay is intact, you will have to remove it to see where the leak truly originates. What you found on the floor is just simply what drained through one of the openings.
Old 04-10-19, 02:18 PM
rktinc
Rookie

Thank you good to know. I should be able to examine it closer tonight. I suspect a valve cover but I will have to look.

Thanks,

RKTINC
Old 04-10-19, 03:46 PM
rktinc
Rookie

UPDATE: Seems to be a small drip falling from above hitting the passenger side torsion bar mounting bolt/joint (rear most part of front suspension. plastic cover ends prior to that area so it does not appear to have ran or pooled in the plastic cover. Could it be a passenger side valve cover or an intake manifold gasket? cant see any oil from above with a flash light.

RKT
Old 04-10-19, 04:12 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Everyone tries to be helpful with forum member’s issues. However, with oil leaks it can be originating from so many different places. Yes, valve covers are common but the only good advice would be to get the car up on a lift, remove the splash cover and clean all oil thoroughly. Drive another 100 miles or so and repeat the getting the car up in the air. Sometimes a good mirror that can be inserted into tight areas can narrow it down. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-10-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 05:05 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by rktinc
UPDATE: Seems to be a small drip falling from above hitting the passenger side torsion bar mounting bolt/joint (rear most part of front suspension. plastic cover ends prior to that area so it does not appear to have ran or pooled in the plastic cover. Could it be a passenger side valve cover or an intake manifold gasket? cant see any oil from above with a flash light.

RKT
Get a good flashlight and look from above. It might not be engine oil at all. The pass side has transmission hose running to the bottom of the radiator as well as power steering lines running from the reservoir to the PS pump. It's fairly common for the rubber PS hose, not the hard line, to become brittle and lose its ability to flex which can create small leaks on either end.
Old 04-10-19, 10:30 PM
smokey6010
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The lower control arm bushings are oil filed. Passenger side one may have cracked.
Old 04-10-19, 11:44 PM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey6010
The lower control arm bushings are oil filed. Passenger side one may have cracked.
Are you serious ?
The following users liked this post:
bradland (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by razvy
Are you serious ?
This is the part I hate about having an older car but no biggie....please let us know what you find as we're all in basically the same boat (aging). Pretty obvious from this post it's not mileage, but time, that's gonna get us in small ways. But we'll still roll on past 300k!

yeah back in '16 I said to my indie the LCA bushings are oil filled right would I see it in the driveway and he almost laughed me out of the shop....(he said changing my LCA bushings would probably have no effect whatsoever and wanted to advise me of his opinion before they pressed them out...)
Old 04-11-19, 05:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smokey6010
. Yes they are but the fluid is clear and looks like water. FYI......OEM replacement LCA bushings are no longer fluid filled.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-11-19 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 03:39 AM
rktinc
Rookie

Ah, Yea, I will check on that "bushing fluid." I think I have a can of it already in my garage. Thanks for some of the good other info.

RKTINC
Old 04-15-19, 04:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Most likely cause even in very low mileage car is the valve cover gaskets. First thing to do is check to see if the valve cover bolts are loose. Over time the valve cover gasket shrinks and compresses and the bolts can become literally finger loose.

Be careful when tightening the valve cover bolts not to over tighten them as it is very easy to do. Slowly snug them down, as evenly as possible, without over compressing the gasket and oil leak will stop (at least for a while). Eventually as on all engines the valve cover gaskets will need to be replaced.

All aluminum engines require a light touch when it comes to bolts, spark plugs, etc.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-15-19 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 09:13 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Most likely cause even in very low mileage car is the valve cover gaskets. First thing to do is check to see if the valve cover bolts are loose. Over time the valve cover gasket shrinks and compresses and the bolts can become literally finger loose.

Be careful when tightening the valve cover bolts not to over tighten them as it is very easy to do. Slowly snug them down, as evenly as possible, without over compressing the gasket and oil leak will stop (at least for a while). Eventually as on all engines the valve cover gaskets will need to be replaced.

All aluminum engines require a light touch when it comes to bolts, spark plugs, etc.
Yes, The valve cover bolts will get loose over time but it should be noted........even when tightening them correctly, if the oil slows or stops it is only a temporary fix. My suggestion is if you are planning on keeping the car and if it is leaking from the valve cover gaskets.....change both sides including the spark plug grommets, (which will be hard as a rock when changing) PCV grommet, and all the bolt grommets as well. Change both sides even if one is not leaking as it will soon. It's quite common on our cars. Get a good tech so that they don't pinch the gaskets when reinstalling. It is somewhat labor intensive but necessary. Good luck. PS.....It pays to change the spark plugs once you take it all apart.