LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

disagree with this about the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 11:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think some of that is a Toyota/Lexus issue rather than an inherent V8 issue. Toyota builds solid products that are very reliable, but damn if you ever do need to replace something. They do make them fairly hard to wrench on compared to other brands. Even doing plugs and wires was a total nightmare on my LS400.
Old 03-27-19, 11:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lets not go that far lol. These are great cars, but they're quite old now and failures do happen.

As for the W220 S Class vs the LS, having driven them both new (and having had an LS430), the S Class was certainly the better handling car, but the LS was the better riding car.

Now, used its not even a comparison. The W200 S Class has a TON of incredibly expensive fail items and if you were buying a luxury car of that vintage to drive reliably today there would be no comparison.
Yes, they are old and lots of tiny things are known to break. It would be curious to see if one refused to fix things, how far would the LS430 go? I have a hunch 300k or more. For me in PA the death knell would be emissions. But the same car where there is no annual inspection can literally be driven into the ground. Really, some folks won't fix the coolant leak on a V8 BMW, and you see the white smoke. How long would the engine keep going....

That was a good point on the starter on the LS430 or 3UZ. I heard 10 hours by the book. The problem is that remanufactured parts are only as good as the remanufacturer (wife's bff's hubby is corporate Toyota tech and he says always rebuild what came with the car, it will be better than anything you can buy, and much cheaper too). My Maxima is pretty easy to replace the starter, and thanks to the lousy parts I bought, I had to do the job 3X. Imagine on a LS430 doing it 3X, I think even a dealer mechanic will want to jump off a bridge!
Old 03-27-19, 04:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
my point is you so confidently asserted that the S class could "run circles around" the LS and i'm here telling you that if you drove both cars you might not be saying that... and are you suggesting that knowing people who had a mercedes from decades ago would somehow be a direct indication of what the w220 is like?

i mean we really shouldn't even be having this convo since you haven't given yourself a basis for comparison and can only comment on hearsay, also i literally agree with about everything you said lol so idk where all this is coming from

and i have driven an LS430, S430, and S500 on the highway, and the w220 definitely doesn't "run circles around" my even older LS
So your thread about Doug Demuro's hyperbolic assessment about the Mclaren F1 being the "greatest car ever made" is based on your actual experience driving a Mclaren F1 on road or track? You said that it's a masterpiece of a vehicle. Is this based on up close personal experience with one or are you just commenting on a Car Chat forum where you started a thread, or what DD says?
Old 04-13-19, 12:12 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Amen to that! I think many cars get bad reps because the owner is clueless about proper maintenance. How many people ruin their engines because they never check and/or change their oil? Abuse, neglect, and ignorance account for many issues that people blame on poor manufacturing. Toyota put out awesome cars until the mid-2000s.
is that when they started putting cvt's in everything?
Old 04-13-19, 12:28 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
That and outsourcing parts to the cheapest bidder. And then there is the cracking dash thing. Oh, and technology, technology, technology.
Old 04-15-19, 11:57 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Which is why generally recommend 90s only
Old 04-16-19, 06:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

There is cost cutting throughout the years on everything. How would a V6 engine even come about? It is imbalanced. Shaky shaky.

LED headlamps--lower cost, charge same if optional. A common theme. It's very expensive to have a setup where you need 25,000 volts to ignite your HID headlamps, enter LED. In the brochure emphasize that it uses less energy, people won't know. But look at the designs, suddenly a BMW needs 4 lights on for low beam, when 2 bixenons did the job before (Acura would really exaggerate this phenom how many bulbs are lit just for low beam).

CVT is more of the same. Again, imho there is some truth to the best cars across all makes having been made somewhere around 2004-2010....seems like vehicles are designed to last about 3-4 years, not 20, today.
Old 04-16-19, 12:36 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

EDIT: Nothing wrong with v6 engines at all, shakey? I dont beleive so. Ive owned 2 twin turbo v6 cars (3000gt vr4/stealth rt/tt) both were very smooth. Lexus es300 with the v6 was pretty smooth as well. I think it comes down to how well the engine is designed as to how well the engine will "feel". A ~1000cc i4 in a motorcycle can rev to 13,000rpm and while they can have some buzzy moments normally thats not high up in the rpm range. They most likely went v6 because well, look at a supra hood or a skyline hood or anything with a inline 6, need alot of length to shove it all in there. V6 takes up less depth, which in FWD a I6 would make a car extremely wide lol.

One of the few things Jeremy clarkson has nailed on the head is "POWER!!!".

One thing Ive noticed though is that newer v6 and i4's seem to be more responsive/peppy at part throttle from a stop light. Why this is could be many reasons (gearing, throttle response, 4 cylinders build revs easier than most stock v8's, weight ).

If you punch a V8 itll accelerate faster then these little 4 door sedans that people think are race cars...like hyundia elantras. But thats not how you really drive a v8.

Think of trucks, a dodge 2500 v8/v10 or ford f250 v10 makes power but terrible MPG, it gets the job done. A diesel that has tons of power in the same vehicle can get almost double the mpg.

As for the whole stay away from the ls430....crazy. If you dont change timing belts then yea I agree, stay away or you money will blow up in your face.

Last edited by Trilkb; 04-16-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 12:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trilkb
EDIT: Nothing wrong with v6 engines at all, shakey? I dont beleive so. Ive owned 2 twin turbo v6 cars (3000gt vr4/stealth rt/tt) both were very smooth. Lexus es300 with the v6 was pretty smooth as well. I think it comes down to how well the engine is designed as to how well the engine will "feel". A ~1000cc i4 in a motorcycle can rev to 13,000rpm and while they can have some buzzy moments normally thats not high up in the rpm range. They most likely went v6 because well, look at a supra hood or a skyline hood or anything with a inline 6, need alot of length to shove it all in there. V6 takes up less depth, which in FWD a I6 would make a car extremely wide lol.

One of the few things Jeremy clarkson has nailed on the head is "POWER!!!".

One thing Ive noticed though is that newer v6 and i4's seem to be more responsive/peppy at part throttle from a stop light. Why this is could be many reasons (gearing, throttle response, 4 cylinders build revs easier than most stock v8's, weight ).

If you punch a V8 itll accelerate faster then these little 4 door sedans that people think are race cars...like hyundia elantras. But thats not how you really drive a v8.

Think of trucks, a dodge 2500 v8/v10 or ford f250 v10 makes power but terrible MPG, it gets the job done. A diesel that has tons of power in the same vehicle can get almost double the mpg.

As for the whole stay away from the ls430....crazy. If you dont change timing belts then yea I agree, stay away or you money will blow up in your face.
Real diesel trucks are inline 6's, for a reason. We're not talking about $75k weekend warrior trucks like my bro's lol (his is a V6)
Old 04-16-19, 01:13 PM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Ohhhhh, and thats where the v6 came in, as in the shakey v6 diesel? My bad.