LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Specific Instructions for Wiring Dayton Sub to 16ohms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 05:41 PM
nbizzle
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Specific Instructions for Wiring Dayton Sub to 16ohms?

I got the Dayton 8" sub to replace my blown Mark Levinson!

I know there are plenty of threads on here about installing without removing seats, and thats the way I'm gonna go.

What I need help with is exactly how to wire this Dayton to 16ohms and wire it into the car. Any extra install tips are welcome!

Thank you!
Old 03-18-19, 06:02 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

This sub is the only one you can buy. It is a dual 8 ohm voice coil sub. You will need to wire both coils in series (basically adding the impedance of the two coils together to make 16 ohm).

This is how you will wire the sub: Don't pay attention to the ohms in the diagram, but essentially you will need to run your wires exactly as shown in the picture below.
The following users liked this post:
nbizzle (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 07:50 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Please take a look at Post #8 on the link below for comparison between the Mark Levinson and Pioneer (with wires color).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-ml-sub.html
nbizzle (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 09:24 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, if you do decide to replace ML sub with Dayton, please do provide pictures of the wirings before installation. I have been thinking of replacing my ML with Dayton and the only thing that stop me is bi-wiring the sub. I didn't want to take a chance and burn out my ML amp. Looking forward for some picture. TIA.

Just incase you want to avoid removing the backbeats, this thread will help. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-removal.html
nbizzle (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 11:28 PM
nbizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peacebay
This sub is the only one you can buy. It is a dual 8 ohm voice coil sub. You will need to wire both coils in series (basically adding the impedance of the two coils together to make 16 ohm).

This is how you will wire the sub: Don't pay attention to the ohms in the diagram, but essentially you will need to run your wires exactly as shown in the picture below.
Yessir! The Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer is sitting on my kitchen counter waiting patiently to be installed. Your wiring diagram is exactly what I needed. I plan to do this using crimp style but connectors, electrical tape, and female slide on connecters. I hope this is sufficient.

Thanks Again!
Nate
Old 03-19-19, 05:00 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 195 Posts

I soldered my connectors as per below. Not sure if the crimp style connectors will hold given the vibrations a sub can produce.
Also, if yer using the OEM speaker frame/mount, you will need to grind away a little of the rim of the speaker to get the 4 screws that hold the 2 halves together to fit.
Also had to remove quite a bit of the U shaped plastic bits.
Wish I'd taken more photos now.

nbizzle (03-19-19)
Old 03-19-19, 07:07 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Consider getting some Dynamat or equivalent and seal all of the holes in the parcel shelf while you have it all apart. You don't need much, a 12x12 square will do it.
Old 03-19-19, 08:32 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

My Kicker Comp C dvc 4 ohm sub has been doing good, I didnt trust the dayton sub to actually last. The ML probably has way better suspension than that dayton.

Ive been thinking about ditching the sub where its mounted and building an actual ported box designed around the subwoofer with the power the factory amp provides. Itll take up trunk space, but this thing has plenty of that. I think the 8" is capable of way more than I am getting out of it right now, just needs the correct box. A horn would probably put this thing into another league, like the BFM auto tuba.
Old 03-19-19, 10:02 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

After all these years and all the threads on aftermarket subs for the ML system.....it would be nice if there was a dedicated thread on those members who have changed from OEM to aftermarket with the long term results. How long since the replacement was made? Has there been any affect on the volume output and/or quality of the overall system? How many have reported any amp issue or amp failure after the replacement?
NLLex (11-21-19)
Old 03-19-19, 11:16 AM
nbizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
After all these years and all the threads on aftermarket subs for the ML system.....it would be nice if there was a dedicated thread on those members who have changed from OEM to aftermarket with the long term results. How long since the replacement was made? Has there been any affect on the volume output and/or quality of the overall system? How many have reported any amp issue or amp failure after the replacement?
Agreed. This would be helpful!
Old 03-19-19, 11:17 AM
nbizzle
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
I soldered my connectors as per below. Not sure if the crimp style connectors will hold given the vibrations a sub can produce.
Also, if yer using the OEM speaker frame/mount, you will need to grind away a little of the rim of the speaker to get the 4 screws that hold the 2 halves together to fit.

Super helpful! What gauge wire do you recommend to the jumper?
Old 03-19-19, 02:07 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
That's odd, I didn't have to modify or drill anything for my Dayton to stay put. removed old sub ; take plastic frame and pull them apart; put Dayton in subwoofer hole; place both plastic frames and set it in top of Dayton sub; screw 4 screws in and done.
Old 03-20-19, 01:33 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Originally Posted by nbizzle
Super helpful! What gauge wire do you recommend to the jumper?
I used 55/0.1mm which means 55 strands and each strand is 0.1mm in diameter. I believe its 21 AWG but not 100% certain.
So long as the core is the same or bigger than the wire used to connect the original speaker, you should be fine.
Old 03-20-19, 01:39 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mobius1
That's odd, I didn't have to modify or drill anything for my Dayton to stay put. removed old sub ; take plastic frame and pull them apart; put Dayton in subwoofer hole; place both plastic frames and set it in top of Dayton sub; screw 4 screws in and done.
My original Sub was sandwiched between the 2 plastic pieces, so I did the same with the Dayton.
I used an SD215A-88 as per below.

You can see from my previous pic how the white part protrudes beyond the plastic brackets.
I got it to fit and it works fine, but needed some modifications to get it to fit.
Old 03-21-19, 12:23 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Trilkb
My Kicker Comp C dvc 4 ohm sub has been doing good, I didnt trust the dayton sub to actually last. The ML probably has way better suspension than that dayton.

Ive been thinking about ditching the sub where its mounted and building an actual ported box designed around the subwoofer with the power the factory amp provides. Itll take up trunk space, but this thing has plenty of that. I think the 8" is capable of way more than I am getting out of it right now, just needs the correct box. A horn would probably put this thing into another league, like the BFM auto tuba.
I've had the Dayton installed for 3 years and drive the audio hard every morning and evening when I drive to and from work. No issues at all.

Also I have actually tried putting a box in the trunk and powering it with the ML amp. It wasn't all the great really. I tried tuning the port, stuffing and unstuffing poly into it, and placed it just behind the drivers seat even. But none of it sounded as good as where it was originally. I might try a different box in the future for further testing.
nbizzle (03-21-19)

Quick Reply: Specific Instructions for Wiring Dayton Sub to 16ohms?