LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are Straight Pipes on LS430 Bad for the Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 09:24 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default No No No

One of my favorite things about the LS? It's the strong silent type.

I enjoy a throaty sounding exhaust. On the right car. I enjoy the quiet of my LS and would not want to alter that in the least.
Old 03-18-19, 09:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I have had straight pipes on my LS430 for the past six years without any trouble. It sounds pretty good but it can be a little loud at full throttle.
The following users liked this post:
nbizzle (03-18-19)
Old 03-20-19, 02:19 PM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

even with moderate mods removing the factory cat will not net you any significant gains so there is no point in removing them. this has been shown on various cars via dyno testing, it's a waste of time unless you are HIGHLY modded and I mean HEAVILY modded. Even on boosted engines the only ones that saw gains from a high flow or no cat are ones that are boosted to such a degree that requires all forged internals and aftermarket programmable ecu and are basically track use only. The cat isn't nearly as restrictive as some are being led to believe.

as far as soundwise removing the cat tends to give the exhaust a very harsh, rattling, raspy tone, not pleasant sounding on any car, especialy a luxury sedan, so again, pretty pointless. I intend to get headers and larger pipes one day to help the engine breath but as for sound I only want a very low rumble at high rpm...the car is quiet on the highway, I want it to stay that way...again...luxury sedan, not a race car
JBrady (04-22-19)
Old 03-20-19, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklin
One of my favorite things about the LS? It's the strong silent type.

I enjoy a throaty sounding exhaust. On the right car. I enjoy the quiet of my LS and would not want to alter that in the least.
Lol heard that. My LS I would never touch but my Yukon with the Chevy small block, had the muffler ripped off-best decision I ever made lol. It even crackles and pops like a Corvette would.

OP if you don't have auto inspections in your state don't worry about removing the cats. It may be illegal but they'll never know.
Old 03-21-19, 09:03 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

removing the cat will not net you any hp, it's been proven numerous times on different cars via dyno. The only cars that benefit from high flow cats or none are basically built so heavily that they are almost drag strip only...even a moderate build won't benefit from cat delete...maybe if you insanely boosted an n/a setup but even then a high flow cat is almost overkill.

catylitic converters are no where near as restrictive as many are led to believe

As for sound, I've gutted a cat or two in my day, and removing/gutting the cat tends to give the exhaust a very nasty sound; raspy and rattley.

from what I understand headers will help these cars hp but larger pipes don't do to much.

if doing it purely for sound...remember...this is a luxury sedan not a sports car. If I saw a loud ls430 I'd be laughing my butt off at the owner...granted that may just be me. I have a mk2 supra with 1uz swap and it has 3" pipes and large muffler...it's deep and mean...but it's also a sports car. For the ls I personally plan to install headers and larger pipes to help the engine breath but sound wise I like the quiet luxury sedan that it is and will go for low rumble at high rpm, regular driving a very very low grumble. These cars don't have the "look" either that supports loud exhaust, it simply doesn't fit...like slow civics with fart cans it would be a laughing stock. Don't do that.
Old 03-21-19, 09:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't know anyone who had to pay the $10k fine but since there is no benefit it just doesn't thrill me either to wonder if this is the day I pay a fine. If I gained 5 HP, then it would be exciting to see how long I could go before opening up the checkbook
Old 03-21-19, 12:12 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Not bad for the car, just everyone else that has to listen to it.
Also gives Lexus owners a bad name. I would never be a dufus and go straight pipes.
Old 03-21-19, 12:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Also gives Lexus owners a bad name. I would never be a dufus and go straight pipes.
Because nowadays cars are reliable, many people don't know what it's like to leak fluid, stall, be unable to start, change a tire, change oil, etc. So I sometimes wonder, how many people have actually drive a vehicle with a broken exhaust, say from behind the cat, which is where it would likely break, not further up? It doesn't simply sound loud, it depends. In 2019 nobody can even tell anymore if the exhaust sound is being produced by the vehicle, or it's being simulated and piped in through the stereo. How did society get this way? lol I even heard that a lot of times people's hair color is not their own.
Jabberwock (05-09-19)
Old 03-23-19, 10:24 PM
firefury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muff

Funny nooone has mentioned the cost of all this,..my two mufflers in the very back of the car have holes in the top,...cost 335.00 EACH at nappers (my discount)....over thousand oem,....I'm seriously thinkng to just have a fellow weld in a new 20 dolla muffkins in place...cost maybe 200.
Old 03-24-19, 04:51 AM
z17112
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nbizzle
My goal is to get a little bit of a sporty sound and maintain all factory engineering and not harm the car at all. The only reason I discussed the Cat's at all is because I know so little and most of the videos I pulled up involved cars with the 3rd Cat removed. I would MUCH rather not remove anything....
Just drill some holes in the pipes every couple feet if you want to make it obnoxious.
Old 03-24-19, 05:47 PM
Serjusa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just did a muffler delete and it’s loud enough

Originally Posted by nbizzle
So let me start with, I completely understand and respect that the Lexus LS430 is a refined luxury machine, engineered largely for it's smooth and quiet style. That being said, I have seen a few videos where people had removed the 3rd catalytic converter and run straight pipes. Not sure if they have mufflers or not.. They sound pretty good! I'm wondering how this effects the engine and computer systems. Any advice on systems such as this?

Thanks
JBrady (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 01:50 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Serjusa, did you remove the resonators and mufflers or only replace the back mufflers with those tips?

I RECOMMEND keeping the stock resonators and installing straight pipes with tips of choice. This is the cheapest and lightest option and can easily be reversed when selling or if not happy.
Old 05-07-19, 07:44 AM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My plan is install straight pipes after resonators and remove back mufflers but question is that does it matter if I use 2" or 2,5" pipes?
Old 05-07-19, 11:22 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I recommend removing third cat no codes replace oem resonators for a high flow resonators i also have big *** mufflers and this beast sound meaty as **** when im doing 3rd gear pulls cold starts are meaty as well

Quick Reply: Are Straight Pipes on LS430 Bad for the Car?