LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 02:37 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

I’ve looked over them very briefly, but at idle or in neutral you cannot even tell the car is running so i doubt they’d be so bad they’d contribute to a harsh shifting condition unfortunately. Also replaced the trans mount with a brand new OEM unit. No difference
Old 03-20-19, 02:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
I’ve looked over them very briefly, but at idle or in neutral you cannot even tell the car is running so i doubt they’d be so bad they’d contribute to a harsh shifting condition unfortunately. Also replaced the trans mount with a brand new OEM unit. No difference
That sucks, I'm sorry. I would suggest taking it to the dealer for a diagnosis. I know they're a rip off but I would only trust the dealer when it comes to transmission issues.
Old 03-20-19, 03:34 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Update: even though my car hasn't done the harsh 2-1 downshift, it's back to the almost the exact same stuff. The harsh 5-6 upshift is back in full force. So frustrating, almost makes me want to sell the car at this point.
Oh god this must really annoying at this point.

However, Peacebay, I should say that the hardware issue is fully repaired, now apparently we are dealing with ECT Memory and programming issue (which was recommended to me to look at as well). Please proceed to the dealer to reset/reprogram ECT memory using their mongoose cable and dealer Techstream. I almost guarantee you it will solve the problem that you are experiencing.
Old 03-20-19, 04:21 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

I will look into that thank you
Old 03-24-19, 12:46 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Update:

Day 9. No signs of transmission issues. Shifting goes well despite engine or transmission oil temperature, no violent shakes between 1-2 and all other gears. Braking is smooth, downshifting is going normal. Also, the shifting itself is happening much faster than before, no delays or lags whatsoever. It just puts the next gear almost instantly, something I haven’t been experiencing before.

One more week for observations for final verdict.
The following users liked this post:
sleeeper (03-28-24)
Old 03-26-19, 12:37 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

same here for me, think i'm at least at week 2 for this. Much better shifting, no issues.

There is a particular road and turn where I could replicate with pretty good predictability a rough 6-5 downshift....doesn't happen now. As well as smoother 2-1 downshifts.
Old 03-26-19, 02:10 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

I will look into that thank you
Any news on the transmission issues? Are they still happening to your Lexus?

another thought I have is it may be a good idea to resend the ECM to SIA to have them resolder the component and do the flash/reprogramming again. I have seen cases in the Internet reviews when people had them to re-do the work and achievers brilliant results afterwards.

I really want you to experience that fresh LS430 ride with silky smooth transmission as it feels like new car tbh! I took so many uber rides that week and a lot of new cars were shifting so bad which make me think about new cars reliability and quality. Our lexuses are such a geniusly manufacturer products!
Old 03-26-19, 02:59 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Eh, sort of. It’s definitely better than it was before I sent it out, that much I am sure of. It has not done the harsh 2-1 downshift and is still quick to downshift if I step on the gas, with no hesitation. Gear shifts 1-5 are pretty much seamless. 80% of the time the upshift to 6 is also just as smooth but the car still sometimes gets confused if I’m at like 20% throttle and slowly accelerate (basically cruise at near zero throttle) through 50, and then sometimes that shift will be felt into 6th.

Im starting to think I’m just being insanely picky though because I’ve owned strictly manual cars my whole life and this is my first automatic vehicle ever. If i focus on the shifts of other automatic cars I can feel their shifts even more, really. I don’t think it’s bad enough at this point to make a stink or send it back for now
Old 03-29-19, 05:11 PM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-31-19, 09:35 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Well today I found out my Lexus dealership pretty severely overfilled my transmission. A year ago I did my own drain and fill and then had the dealership do the two subsequent ones a few months apart.

Today I figured it was worth a shot to find out the actual oil level for myself. Once i got the trans to the correct temp I unscrewed the overfill plug and at least a quart extra came out until it started trickling like it should. Took the car for a two hour drive afterwards and everything is now working as it should, smooth as butter.

I’ve worked on cars all my life, done everything from engine rebuilds to oil changes. This was one of the few times ive ever bothered to bring my car to a professional for something as benign as a drain and fill.. yet again I experience the old cliche if you want something done right, do it yourself.
06GS300Lex (02-07-21)
Old 03-31-19, 11:15 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

indeed, not sure why many people always proclaim their car has been dealer maintained, as if that is some kind of quality marker. If anything, they should be claiming "maintained by independent, Lexus focused shop"....that might be worth something.
Old 04-03-19, 10:01 AM
Wafftho
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any positive results with the SIA company, I’m about to send mine to them but wondering if it actually worked? Please as soon as possible
Old 04-03-19, 10:07 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I had a great experience, sent out on Saturday and had unit back on Wednesday. It fixed the issue discussed in this thread. Dealer suggested replacing transmission on mine lol.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-19, 12:40 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Well today I found out my Lexus dealership pretty severely overfilled my transmission. A year ago I did my own drain and fill and then had the dealership do the two subsequent ones a few months apart.

Today I figured it was worth a shot to find out the actual oil level for myself. Once i got the trans to the correct temp I unscrewed the overfill plug and at least a quart extra came out until it started trickling like it should. Took the car for a two hour drive afterwards and everything is now working as it should, smooth as butter.

I’ve worked on cars all my life, done everything from engine rebuilds to oil changes. This was one of the few times ive ever bothered to bring my car to a professional for something as benign as a drain and fill.. yet again I experience the old cliche if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Wow so the oil level was incorrect? Well yeah no wonder it improved the situation dramatically once was fixed. Great job on doing this diy! I bet the dealer would tell you that transmission must be replaced hahaha
06GS300Lex (02-07-21)
Old 04-03-19, 12:42 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wafftho
Any positive results with the SIA company, I’m about to send mine to them but wondering if it actually worked? Please as soon as possible
SIA is providing the permanent fix to the problem. However, it is important to ensure everything else is considered/repaired/evaluated based on mileage and overall condition of the car. For example, SIA May fix your ECM but if your battery is bad you ll still be getting extended shifting times/lags all over the system.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on LS430 rough shifting and A761e transmission