LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

smart key system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 09:44 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts
Default smart key system question

I have pushed the button (above pedals) to disable the smart key system because I think it might be contributing to a dead battery situation I have had. When I don't drive the car for days the spare keys are stored close by and I think that might be contributing to a battery drain.

My question is this: what is the meaning of the blinking green light next to "key" to the left of the steering column? Does that mean the car thinks there is a key within range, even if the smart key button has been pushed disabling the system? Even with the system disabled I can still start the car without putting the key into the ignition and that confuses me too - what is the difference between the smart key system and the ability to start the car without the key in the ignition.

I've had my '05 LS 430 for a year now and still am struggling to learn all its complexities. . . .
Old 01-30-19, 10:21 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

There are 2 buttons, one for the smart key and one for the tpms.You may be pressing the tpms button.If you disable the smart key you will not be able to start the car without putting the key in.
Old 01-30-19, 10:34 AM
TominPT
Advanced

I am pressing the key button, not TPMS button,. I can start the car without the key in the ignition regardless of whether the key button is in the in or out position. The green "key" light keeps flashing on and off and that is puzzling to me.
Old 01-30-19, 01:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

It seems that your smart button is failed to shut the smart system off.The green light will not flash with the button off.Sorry i cant help you with a repair.
If you disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes it may fix your issue.It helps with a lot of electrical hiccups.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 01-30-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 07:25 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

are you just pushing the button or holding it in for a second? i thought i was resetting the TPMS, and i was holding it in & then i couldn't start my car without putting the key in. once i actually looked at the buttons i pressed, i was able to get it working again. but if i recall, i had to push and hold the button.
Old 01-31-19, 06:51 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

There is a fine difference that you can actually feel, between the TPMS reset and the Smart Key On/Off button.

Hopefully I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence, but the TPMS is a button that has the same amount of travel (push) in and then out. It never "locks" in nor out. It will simply feel like a push button and when releasing, will always end up in the same spot on the return (out) motion.

The Smart Key On/Off button actually "locks" in or "locks" out. You can feel it, and hear it "click" in and up towards the roof. Push it again and it "clicks" out, sticking out further towards the floor.

I don't remember which position (the in or out position) shuts off the Smart Key system, thus, saving your battery. I want to think the IN position shuts it off, but I'm not certain.

You can always read it in the manual, search the forum, or get on your back in the most uncomfortable position known to man, besides the position required to remove the underseat air filters, lol.
Old 02-01-19, 09:57 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

These are called momentary pushbuttons and maintained pushbuttons.
Old 02-01-19, 10:17 AM
TominPT
Advanced

I definitely have the KEY button in the in (OFF) position and still the green light blinks and smart key system is not disabled. Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes did not solve my issue either. So, as jimbosr1 mentioned in post # 4 I have to figure out why that KEY button is not working to disable the smart key system or replace it. If anyone has faced this before please let me know. . .
Old 02-21-19, 01:57 PM
TominPT
Advanced

Still have not been able to turn off the smart key system. But, now that I am storing all the keys for the car at least 25 feet away even with the system on all the time I am not having dead battery issues so far.
I have also found that is relatively easy to not fully close one of the doors when getting packages out etc and with the door slightly ajar and the vehicle interior lights staying on the battery will drain surprisingly quickly.
Old 02-22-19, 04:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TominPT
Still have not been able to turn off the smart key system. But, now that I am storing all the keys for the car at least 25 feet away even with the system on all the time I am not having dead battery issues so far.
I have also found that is relatively easy to not fully close one of the doors when getting packages out etc and with the door slightly ajar and the vehicle interior lights staying on the battery will drain surprisingly quickly.
I said it once, I'll say it again, this is a really bizarre issue with the smart key option not being able to be shut off.

I also totally agree that for such an intelligent and advanced car, why couldn't they have designed the circuitry to automatically shut the lamp(s) off, after 5 minutes or so? I think my father's 1981 Chevrolet Malibu even shutoff the dome light if the door was left ajar!