LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

replacing hood struts on a 2003 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 09:21 AM
Rguy77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile replacing hood struts on a 2003 LS430

Just a note to say hi – and thank the club members for some already useful information. I recently came into possession, by way of the estate of my daughter-in-law's father, of a 2003 LS 430, my introduction to the world of Lexus and more of a car, size and cost, than I've ever owned before. At first, my wife and I thought to sell it but on driving it some we've both fallen in love with the beast, the unbelievably smooth ride, the hidden compartments, the bells and whistles, the solidity and, above all, craftsmanship. It's a beauty. As to condition, the local Lexus dealership, to which we took it for an evaluation, said it's in good shape and ought, with care, to last two or three times the 75,000 miles it has now – having spent much of the time past setting in a garage. So, we hope to keep it, provided we can keep the cost in line with our post-retirement income – which brings me back to the thanks. One of the things the dealership said needed to be done was to fix the switch controlling the mirrors, at a cost of roughly $400. That's how I discovered the club through an on-line search, learned by way of a very useful, ten-year old thread how to remove the switch and clean it up … which I did, along with re-setting one of the plastic thingamajigs that pass on the pressure; anyway, it works now, like a dream. So thanks a million to DuCati11, Yaff and the others. My next project, which the dealership offered to do for another $400, is to replace the now non-functioning struts on the hood. I didn't find anything on here about that but I did find a video from “the funky mechanic” that encouraged me enough to order two StrongArm replacements (for a so-far cost effective $30). It looks straight-forward, even more so than the pull-out switch, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to do the work in the close to zero (Fahrenheit) weather we've been having lately. Comments on the Lift Supports Depot instruction sheet, about the effect cold weather has on the struts, make me wonder. Any advice? I'd like to get the job done soon but can wait if advised. I've got a stick in the truck to hold up the hood. Okay, I better sign off. Excuse me if I'm too far off on anything; I'm as new to the world of blogs as I am Lexus. I'll try to keep it shorter in the future. Thanks, Rguy77.
Old 01-25-19, 01:49 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default No worries

I would not worry in the least about installing them in the cold. I think their warning has more to do with the fact that in very cold temps the gas spring may not be as powerful as is "normal"

No worries, they are easy to change out. Do compare the length to the ones you are replacing, they should be identical in length when fully extended. If you check with the old ones in place use your stick to hold the hood fully open.

As long as they are the same length they are dumb simple to install. It's a perfect easy project for those that were not born with a wrench in their hands. Great satisfaction factor to have the hood stay up on it's own, after just a few bucks and a few minutes work. Sure beats 400 bucks.

So far with regard to Lexus service departments. Take the number they give you, compute 10% of their total bill for your DIY cost for quality parts. Only kinda kidding there. Full retail for already overpriced parts. And one would think the Lexus mechanic is lighting his cigars with hundreds.

Last edited by Ricklin; 01-25-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 12:06 PM
Rguy77
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Ricklin
I would not worry in the least about installing them in the cold. I think their warning has more to do with the fact that in very cold temps the gas spring may not be as powerful as is "normal"

No worries, they are easy to change out. Do compare the length to the ones you are replacing, they should be identical in length when fully extended. If you check with the old ones in place use your stick to hold the hood fully open.

As long as they are the same length they are dumb simple to install. It's a perfect easy project for those that were not born with a wrench in their hands. Great satisfaction factor to have the hood stay up on it's own, after just a few bucks and a few minutes work. Sure beats 400 bucks.

So far with regard to Lexus service departments. Take the number they give you, compute 10% of their total bill for your DIY cost for quality parts. Only kinda kidding there. Full retail for already overpriced parts. And one would think the Lexus mechanic is lighting his cigars with hundreds.
Thanks; I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning - and let you know how it goes. Once it's done (and I've got a little more confidence under my belt) I want to turn my attention to the brakes and fluids, see if I can do anything there to save a few more cigar lighters. (hope I got this reply thing right; we'll see soon.)
Old 01-27-19, 07:50 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default DIY is easier these days

Thanks to our digitally connected world DIY car mechanics has gotten much easier. The problem I often see is if the basics are not there, one can get themselves in some pretty deep Kimchee.
If you are new to turning wrenches it's best to start of with the simpler things like fluids and filters. Disc brakes in particular are not hard to do with experience. Without some experience?? Well.....brakes are not the part of the car to screw up on.

I consider myself a very experienced "wrench" I've been working on cars since I was a kid, and I am on the + side of 60 now. I did a 4 wheel brake job on my 4runner a few weekends ago. Vendor sent wrong parts for rear axle. I installed a set of cheap pads as a get by for a week or two. Uhhh, Guess who did not fully torque the caliper mounting bolts when the correct parts came? Major screw up. Fortunately I was able to purchase the correct new mounting bolts, I double checked the rest of the work I did that day as well. Still kicking myself.
In the above case I was interrupted. Long story was working in the driveway vs. the garage bad weather interrupted me and I made a major error.

Friends who are experienced at auto mechanics are a good thing to have should you lack experience. You tube can't replace that.

Start of with simpler things, and always double check your work, even if it is raining sideways.

Good luck to you, great group here to help out. Also be aware of where you post. This is in the build threads, would have been better to post to the main 3rd gen. area of the board and you will get more responses.
Old 01-27-19, 04:46 PM
Rguy77
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up hood whole

Well I did it and I have to admit it was embarrassingly easy - easy off, easy on. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I've worked on cars on and off over the years but only on the periphery - oil changes, disc brakes, few things on and off, hydraulic clutch and once, in the middle of Helena, Montana, on a cross country trip, a water pump; never anything major just part of growing up before everything got so sophisticated. So maybe this is just a little bit of a second childhood. Anyway, it was nice to save 800 dollars on the switch and struts; well, minus the 30 it cost for the StrongArm struts. I'm going to move on the fluids and brakes, soon as I get a chance and it warms up a bit. Would love to have a garage in which to work but can't complain; still hanging in. I'll go to the main 3rd gen area to post for when I get ready to tool up ; thanks for the tip-off; like I said I'm new at the blogging side of life.

Thanks to our digitally connected world DIY car mechanics has gotten much easier. The problem I often see is if the basics are not there, one can get themselves in some pretty deep Kimchee.
If you are new to turning wrenches it's best to start of with the simpler things like fluids and filters. Disc brakes in particular are not hard to do with experience. Without some experience?? Well.....brakes are not the part of the car to screw up on.

I consider myself a very experienced "wrench" I've been working on cars since I was a kid, and I am on the + side of 60 now. I did a 4 wheel brake job on my 4runner a few weekends ago. Vendor sent wrong parts for rear axle. I installed a set of cheap pads as a get by for a week or two. Uhhh, Guess who did not fully torque the caliper mounting bolts when the correct parts came? Major screw up. Fortunately I was able to purchase the correct new mounting bolts, I double checked the rest of the work I did that day as well. Still kicking myself.
In the above case I was interrupted. Long story was working in the driveway vs. the garage bad weather interrupted me and I made a major error.

Friends who are experienced at auto mechanics are a good thing to have should you lack experience. You tube can't replace that.

Start of with simpler things, and always double check your work, even if it is raining sideways.

Good luck to you, great group here to help out. Also be aware of where you post. This is in the build threads, would have been better to post to the main 3rd gen. area of the board and you will get more responses.

Old 01-28-19, 08:38 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Thumbs up very cool

Would love to total up my DIY dollars some day. At this stage in my life I would wager that the money I have saved would be a 6 figure number over the many years I have been turning wrenches.
I'm fortunate enough to have had a fair amount of electronics experience as well, that REALLY helps now. Esp. with the LS.

Well my car finally showed up yesterday! Woo Hoo, she is a true Creampuff. In fact the interior is 100% perfect, the exterior is not far off that standard, a couple scratches and a very minor dent.
My 2005 was definitely well taken care of. I'm just tickled with the car. I'm not going to love the gas mileage, but at least it has a big tank.
I'll post up pics after a weekend of detailing it. It is clean now, I want perfect. Heck picking up yesterday the car was so dirty from the cross country trip it was like unwrapping a Xmas present......with a pressure washer.
Old 01-29-19, 05:08 AM
Rguy77
Driver School Candidate

Smile Sounds great

Love to see it.

Would love to total up my DIY dollars some day. At this stage in my life I would wager that the money I have saved would be a 6 figure number over the many years I have been turning wrenches.
I'm fortunate enough to have had a fair amount of electronics experience as well, that REALLY helps now. Esp. with the LS.

Well my car finally showed up yesterday! Woo Hoo, she is a true Creampuff. In fact the interior is 100% perfect, the exterior is not far off that standard, a couple scratches and a very minor dent.
My 2005 was definitely well taken care of. I'm just tickled with the car. I'm not going to love the gas mileage, but at least it has a big tank.
I'll post up pics after a weekend of detailing it. It is clean now, I want perfect. Heck picking up yesterday the car was so dirty from the cross country trip it was like unwrapping a Xmas present......with a pressure washer.