LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How long does the factory air ride last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:18 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HauntedKen
My 2005 LS430 UL, and its air suspension, is just this shy of 200,000 miles and no problems with the air at all. My UL was originally purchased by Warner Brothers Studios, they used it as a limo for two years. I should also say that I drive a 1974 GMC Classic Motorhome, with air suspension, and no problems at 300,650 miles. Also have a 1996 Olds Aurora with air suspension on the rear, no problems there either and it is at 130,000 miles. I really don't know why so many people have problems, perhaps I am extraordinarily lucky or my driving is suited to the air suspensions. But in any event, good luck to you.
use it or loose it, you had rear passengers which keeps the rears from working, some components have to be excersized once in a while to stay working.
Old 01-16-19, 03:44 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
I understand what you are saying. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bought the LS I did with 69,000 miles on it with none of the big services being done yet. I would have much rather and will from now on buy the car that might have a little more miles (90,000-130,000) but has recently had most of the major services already completed. The sweet spot is one that just hit maybe 90k or 100k and has had the water pump and timing belt, brakes, suspension, and anything else replaced. You are basically good for another 90k from anything major. I bought mine and now have to put money into it.

70,000 miles and on the brink of needing things done vs 100,000 miles and all of those major services done...I'll take higher mileage every time.

I learned my lesson! I had one thing in mind and that was the lowest mileage LS430 I could find. I was wrong.
If you buy a 69k miile car without those major services like timing belt and water pump being done, you should take that into account for pricing. At this point in time, all LS430s should have had their timing belt/water pumps services done by now due to age alone. I think sellers that are willing to dump thousands into a car just to turn around and sell it are going to be few and far between. Certainly aren't going to find people willing to replace the air suspension for a new buyer unless something has failed.

Last edited by Bob04; 01-16-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 11:39 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Those of you who have driven both UL and non-UL (2004-2006), tell me if UL ride is noticeably better/softer, or is it about same?
Thanks,
Val
Old 01-18-19, 10:18 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
If you buy a 69k miile car without those major services like timing belt and water pump being done, you should take that into account for pricing. At this point in time, all LS430s should have had their timing belt/water pumps services done by now due to age alone. I think sellers that are willing to dump thousands into a car just to turn around and sell it are going to be few and far between. Certainly aren't going to find people willing to replace the air suspension for a new buyer unless something has failed.

Not saying the seller is going to replace it for the buyer. What I'm saying is you can find them where 10k-20k miles ago they did those services and are now selling the car. Those are the cars I would have bought if I could do it over again. I've learned from everyone on here that the miles on these 3rd gen LS's isn't a big deal as long as it is maintained.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (01-18-19)
Old 01-27-19, 01:57 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

The cheap OEM air struts are back in stock on Amazon, $750 each, '04-'06 model years:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
caddylover (01-27-19)
Old 01-28-19, 09:38 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
I understand what you are saying. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have bought the LS I did with 69,000 miles on it with none of the big services being done yet. I would have much rather and will from now on buy the car that might have a little more miles (90,000-130,000) but has recently had most of the major services already completed. The sweet spot is one that just hit maybe 90k or 100k and has had the water pump and timing belt, brakes, suspension, and anything else replaced. You are basically good for another 90k from anything major. I bought mine and now have to put money into it.

70,000 miles and on the brink of needing things done vs 100,000 miles and all of those major services done...I'll take higher mileage every time.

I learned my lesson! I had one thing in mind and that was the lowest mileage LS430 I could find. I was wrong.
+1 with buying a used car after the big maintenance items are done or need to account for the cost of these items. I bought mine at 119K miles. Timing belt service is done. All 4 shocks are replaced recently. I do need tires here soon, which I realize before buying the car. I expected to replace brake pads, but find out after purchase that the pads still have plenty of materials left.

For me, ideally the big services are not done, so I can use them as leverage and get the car a lot cheaper. I am happy to work on these maintenance items but understand this probably does not apply to everyone.
Old 01-29-19, 06:22 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I am currently looking like the smartest guy in the room right now, OK I don't want to throw my elbow out patting myself on the back.....still I'm a happy camper.
I picked up my 05 UL on Sunday after it's cross country trip on the auto transporter. Don't think it could have been any dirtier.
The service records were a big plus on this car. 5 K service like clockwork. Car has 106 K miles on it. Yes the former owner (corporate car) spent a boat load of money on it in it's final 5-10 K miles with the original owner.
4 new Lexus rotors, and pads of course. Timing belt and water pump, steering wheel motor and drivers door lock actuators, and they put icing on the cake with a new set of Michelin Primacy tires @ just shy of a grand on the 18" wheels.
Service records show 3 of the 4 air shocks replaced @ approx. 60 K mileage.
The downsides are things I can live with and fix, a couple scratches, and so far found 2 small dents. The lower door skin on the passenger door was poorly painted due to the small accident damage shown on the carfax. Interior is perfection, how can a car get 100 K on it and show ZERO wear on the interior? Mine has the fancy leather and I LOVE it. Ercu and Mercury Metallic is a nice combo, I sure like it.

Only functional flaw I can find? The passenger center vent does not oscillate only the driver vent swings back and forth. I'll pop of the surround and check it out soon.
Air suspension is working excellent. I should not have to spend any significant money on the car for a while.
I drove it about 250 miles yesterday....the honeymoon is on, I LOVE this car.
Old 01-29-19, 10:04 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Congrats Ricklin on the new purchase. Practically all problems on the LS430 have been discovered and these forums will show you all known problems and many DIY solutions. Fixing these things at the dealership would cost serious money, but many of the common problems are very easily fixable yourself at low cost and moderate time.

I tracked air suspension failure reports on these forums up until 2-3 years ago. At least 58 members on these forums reported at least one air strut failure.

Mileage: min 34,000 (2004, at least 6 years in-service), max 224,000 (2004, 11 years in-service), mean 77,658, median 69,500
Model year: min 2001, max 2006, median 2004, mode 2004
Years in-service: min 3, max 17, mean 7.55, median 6, mode 5

Most common struts to fail were rears, with rear right failing a little more than rear left.

Note that I was only able to find 58 members who reported failures up to that time. My 2002 is at 164,000kms and the air struts still work fine.
aypues (01-31-19)
Old 01-29-19, 10:42 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default I am prepared

I am prepared to do whatever the car needs, within reason of course.
In my experience I do agree with the sweet spot being around 100 K that does assume the owner abides by the maintenance schedule.
It's not a hard and fast rule, I've detailed my purchase criteria here before. That criteria has proven accurate with this car.
The previous owner put at least two thousand in the car in their last 10 K of ownership, all done at the Lexus dealer. Heck the tires were 980.00 bucks. I'm sure the brake job was in that neighborhood or more given 4 new rotors.
From what I see and feel so far the only costly part of owning this car will be fuel. I'm coming from a Prius.......so about 50% more for fuel vs. the Prius overall.
I'm a wrench, so car is unlikely to visit the dealer again.

I am totally in love with the LS. The drivers seat is sooo adjustable. I have wicked Sciatica that really limits how much I can drive. I spent the day in the car yesterday and did NOT limp in to the front door when I got home. That's priceless!!!!~

I have an office day today, gotta finish moving in, get my phone mount configured, get power to the phone and figure out what Bluetooth will be best. Man I love the Mark Levinson audio, best I have ever heard Dark side of the moon. Prius has the high end JBL...not even close to the old Mark Levinson in the LS. No contest.
Love the radar cruise, I've had it on the Prius for over 300 K and I will not have a work car without it. In addition to freeway the radar can "see" when it's foggy far better than I. We get a lot of fog here in the PNW, the radar cruise is def. a safety asset. I don't miss the lane keeping at all, the longer wheelbase makes it much less "busy" at speed. So far it seems like the faster I go the better the mileage gets, pretty unusual.

I love this car.
Old 01-29-19, 06:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Congrats Ricklin on the new purchase. Practically all problems on the LS430 have been discovered and these forums will show you all known problems and many DIY solutions. Fixing these things at the dealership would cost serious money, but many of the common problems are very easily fixable yourself at low cost and moderate time.

I tracked air suspension failure reports on these forums up until 2-3 years ago. At least 58 members on these forums reported at least one air strut failure.

Mileage: min 34,000 (2004, at least 6 years in-service), max 224,000 (2004, 11 years in-service), mean 77,658, median 69,500
Model year: min 2001, max 2006, median 2004, mode 2004
Years in-service: min 3, max 17, mean 7.55, median 6, mode 5

Most common struts to fail were rears, with rear right failing a little more than rear left.

Note that I was only able to find 58 members who reported failures up to that time. My 2002 is at 164,000kms and the air struts still work fine.
58 failures out of 10's of thousands of LS430 sold is statistically insignificant! Why do people keep knocking the US for air suspension? There have been more people complaing about the air suspension than own one.
sha4000 (02-03-19)
Old 01-30-19, 01:29 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Well I like it

So far so good with regard to the air suspension. I hear the compressor run every now and again, but not at all often.
Very nice ride, while the sport mode might not meet it's description it does stiffen up the damping a touch or two. This car can be comfortably hustled around curves and handles well esp. for it's size and weight. I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first and likely only LS 430.
How the heck does one aim the headlights? I'd like my low beams a little higher, and my right high beam is poorly aimed. Any experience?
Old 01-31-19, 06:08 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ricklin
I hear the compressor run every now and again, but not at all often.
You shouldn't hear the compressor at all. Your compressor bushings may be failing. Mine were cooked and you could hear the compressor cycle on and off, super annoying. Once they installed new bushings I cannot hear it ever, was about $300 job at dealer if I recall correctly.
Old 02-01-19, 02:45 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Anyone?

Might anyone have the part numbers and source for said bushings? I'm a DIY guy.
I kinda thought there might be an issue, given the very low noise levels on everything. It's not at all loud, but I can hear it run very occasionally. The two times I have heard it were when the car was barely moving and very quiet otherwise.
From my service history car has had 3 of the 4 air shocks replaced in the past, thus the compressor may have had to run quite a bit, I know the rears were replaced due to leaks.
Are they mounting bushings? I would assume so. If anyone has the PN's and or a source please post it up TIA.
Old 02-03-19, 01:46 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ricklin
Might anyone have the part numbers and source for said bushings? I'm a DIY guy.
I kinda thought there might be an issue, given the very low noise levels on everything. It's not at all loud, but I can hear it run very occasionally. The two times I have heard it were when the car was barely moving and very quiet otherwise.
From my service history car has had 3 of the 4 air shocks replaced in the past, thus the compressor may have had to run quite a bit, I know the rears were replaced due to leaks.
Are they mounting bushings? I would assume so. If anyone has the PN's and or a source please post it up TIA.
I think this is it:
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...038906033.html

Check out this thread too:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...pressor-2.html

Old 02-03-19, 04:02 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
58 failures out of 10's of thousands of LS430 sold is statistically insignificant! Why do people keep knocking the US for air suspension? There have been more people complaing about the air suspension than own one.
Considering that only a handful of those 10s of thousands of 430s are on this forum, I say almost 60 is significant. I've know several people with ULs, and every single one had an issue with the air suspension. More than one Lexus tech has told me it's an issue as these cars age. There is a reason there is an entire aftermarket for replacing them. Not sure why people want to pretend that it's not. It shouldn't really even be a surprise..
aypues (02-03-19)

Quick Reply: How long does the factory air ride last?