LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help needed - want to buy and LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 11:58 AM
iahkem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed - want to buy and LS

What's up guys, i'm fairly new to the forum. I have looked around and browsed a couple threads and discussions around here. But... I have had a burning question. I'm due for a new car. I've had my 2004 Es330 for about 2 years now, received as a gift from my uncle, but it does not fit my wants and needs. I've been browsing the car scene for a new(ish) car. I've become particularly interested in 3 cars, Lexus GS430 or GS350 , Lexus LS430, and BMW E92 335i. My budget is around 10k. I figured i would ask you guys on which car i should be looking into. I love my Lexus i have now, but it's kind of kicking the bucket on me, (HAHA DRIVING AND PARTS ARE FALLING OFF). The previous owner of es330 wasn't too good to it. But why did you guys pick the LS? I'm not looking into anything in particular, i love the body style, i just want something that can get my to school and work while looking good when i'm driving it. I've never really worked on cars, but i really want to learn how. And i'm open for suggestions on any other car to look into. Thanks Guys appreciate the help!

On a side note, my buddy has an ls430 and he absolutely loves it, and i kind of do too. Do you think an LS is appropriate for a broke college student?

Last edited by RA40; 01-13-19 at 05:25 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 01-13-19, 12:12 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

No it's not, you need an accord or civic or Camry or corolla.
Spend about $8k on a 2012 or so accord in decent shape and put the extra $2k in a savings account to pay for any repairs that might come up.
The LS is one of the more reliable cars but not for a college budget or schedule even if you could diy
Old 01-13-19, 12:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesse
No it's not, you need an accord or civic or Camry or corolla.
Spend about $8k on a 2012 or so accord in decent shape and put the extra $2k in a savings account to pay for any repairs that might come up.
The LS is one of the more reliable cars but not for a college budget or schedule even if you could diy
Totally agree! Accord , Camry, Civic or Corolla. If they are not your style and you are still considering going the route of your original post......be prepared to be spending on repairs which will be there. If you go the BMW route you will be reaching that much deeper. The Asian choices above are your best bet. Good luck with whatever choices you make.
Old 01-13-19, 12:25 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

all your listed cars required time/money which isn't good for college, go for something new and under $10k. you'll thank us later.
Old 01-13-19, 12:39 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

One more to look at is mazda too, maybe a mazda3. In my experience they are as reliable as a honda but priced lower since everyone is looking for Honda's or toyotas.
I used to have a Mazda protege5 stick shift a while ago, all around the most fun driving car Ive ever owned!

unless you have serious diy abort and/or an additional $10k to spend on repairs do not buy the BMW.

Last edited by Ellesse; 01-13-19 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iahkem (01-13-19)
Old 01-13-19, 01:06 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

So how does your ES330 not fit your wants and needs. How many miles do you have on the ES? If you have $10K, that will go a long way in fixing any failures on the ES. The ES is better quality than the cars suggested and about the same size.
Old 01-13-19, 01:07 PM
iahkem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ellesse
One more to look at is mazda too, maybe a mazda3. In my experience they are as reliable as a honda but priced lower since everyone is looking for Honda's or toyotas.
I used to have a Mazda protege5 stick shift a while ago, all around the most fun driving car Ive ever owned!

unless you have serious diy abort and/or an additional $10k to spend on repairs do not buy the BMW.
I was only looking into the BMW because i'm a big fan of the body. But thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-13-19, 01:12 PM
iahkem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
So how does your ES330 not fit your wants and needs. How many miles do you have on the ES? If you have $10K, that will go a long way in fixing any failures on the ES. The ES is better quality than the cars suggested and about the same size.
Car has rust damage, Various parts are calling a quits on me, and many problems that i can't resolve. I guarantee the car has at least 20k - 35k more miles in it. I'd rather dump my money in a car that has a body style I like, than a car i settled for.
Old 01-13-19, 02:23 PM
TXMeatball
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on whether or not you're willing to wrench on it. I'm a student myself and I never encountered anything really outrageously expensive with my LS (granted the previous owner took care of the timing belt/water pump/etc). This forum has most issues and their fixes well documented. $8k should get you a sorted LS and the rest of the money gives room to replace the tires/brakes.
Old 01-13-19, 02:58 PM
iahkem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TXMeatball
Depends on whether or not you're willing to wrench on it. I'm a student myself and I never encountered anything really outrageously expensive with my LS (granted the previous owner took care of the timing belt/water pump/etc). This forum has most issues and their fixes well documented. $8k should get you a sorted LS and the rest of the money gives room to replace the tires/brakes.
This is why i was looking into them. My bud’s ls430 gives him no problems, the only thing he’s had to do so far is spark plugs, he found his for 4K VIP package , w/ 190k miles. He works on his own car. And. I was wondering if it would be right fit for me. I figured someone on the forum could relate to me. Thanks
Old 01-13-19, 04:44 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you should be looking for a car with the lowest operating cost per miles. You need to consider cost of maintenance and parts, gas mileage, insurance.

LS is very reliable with probably one of the best v8. But it is old car, and things will break. Even if you wrench yourself, parts are probably going to be more expensive than ES330.

Gas mileage is not good if you looking for lowest operating cost per miles (you mentioned using it for commuting). GS and BMW is also not even close to lets say 4 cylinder FWD sedans. You got a good taste for nice cars, but anything nice and pretty is not going to be cheap LS430 definitely will use more gas than ES330.

I dunno about insurance, but my guess is LS insurance probably cost more than your ES330.

So.... imho LS is not for a broke student (or anyone). Sorry and good luck!

Last edited by BCT; 01-13-19 at 04:48 PM.