ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Interesting Car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/908768-interesting-car.html)

Jbthompson 01-12-19 08:41 AM

Interesting Car

was randomly looking for used LS cars today, found this. It’s a good price but what is most interesting is that it’s an ultra without Nav. Thoughts?

https://www.bobmooreinfiniti.com/inv...bn36f355009212

TriC 01-12-19 10:19 AM

It was sold new in Hawaii, hence the lack of a navigation system.

Bocatrip 01-12-19 10:54 AM

The accident would have me concerned. Needs to be checked out thoroughly.

bradland 01-12-19 11:23 AM

No UL options are listed and no PCS on the front emblem. I see afew extra switches in front of the shifter but the most obvious evidence is not there.
Doesn't appear to be a UL so nothing out of the ordinary there...

Romanova 01-12-19 12:24 PM

Hate when dealers load a few lousy pictures without even bothering to clean the car.

TriC 01-12-19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bradland (Post 10407583)
No UL options are listed and no PCS on the front emblem. I see afew extra switches in front of the shifter but the most obvious evidence is not there.
Doesn't appear to be a UL so nothing out of the ordinary there...

Those "...extra switches in front of the shifter..." are definitive evidence that the car has the Ultra Luxury Package.

Interestingly, when I entered the VIN into the Lexus website, the screen said I had successfully added the car, but it didn't show up as one that could be "managed" - quite strange and possibly a by-product of its original Hawaii sale.

TriC 01-12-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Romanova (Post 10407634)
Hate when dealers load a few lousy pictures without even bothering to clean the car.

It is hard to understand, but more than a few dealers present their products in such a manner.

Jbthompson 01-12-19 02:04 PM

Yeah I wondered if the Hawaii thing was why. KInda unique to have an ultra without the clunky nav screen.

jayclapp 01-12-19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TriC (Post 10407668)
Those "...extra switches in front of the shifter..." are definitive evidence that the car has the Ultra Luxury Package.

Interestingly, when I entered the VIN into the Lexus website, the screen said I had successfully added the car, but it didn't show up as one that could be "managed" - quite strange and possibly a by-product of its original Hawaii sale.

Maybe someone changed the panel with the UL switches. Result of the wreck? Also, the photo doesn't show the rear armrest which is definitely different in the UL.

ibrahim83 01-12-19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jayclapp (Post 10407782)
Maybe someone changed the panel with the UL switches. Result of the wreck? Also, the photo doesn't show the rear armrest which is definitely different in the UL.

I was about to say the same thing.

DomeSL 01-13-19 06:20 AM

UL was sold in EU also without NAV.
...as mine, and I really like not to have the screen.

Originally Posted by Jbthompson (Post 10407708)
Yeah I wondered if the Hawaii thing was why. KInda unique to have an ultra without the clunky nav screen.

Johnhav430 01-13-19 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Romanova (Post 10407634)

Sales tool, generates inquiries, such as evidenced with the thread. My online ad had lots of pictures--they even removed the "used once" spare tire, mounted it on the rear left, and took a closeup shot of it, then put it back, to imply the car has new Dunlop OE tires.

iriz 01-15-19 08:08 AM

What is actually "UL" to you?

To my knowledge the "UL" specification was only used in the US for a specific combination of features, i.e. a car having ALMOST any available feature.

So, strictly speaking only US-sold UL-versions are UL.

However, often the term UL is used to describe a car merely having air suspension, typically in combination with some other features above base.

This appears especially to be the case for many non-US residents, e.g. Europeans, although several of the US UL-features were not available in Europe at all.

Correspondingly, the "UL without Navi" from Hawai is not a real UL. Or?

BigBoomer 01-16-19 02:52 AM

I can't see the car the URL links to. Can only see a white 2004 on that site and that has Nav.
The EU models were mostly sold "fully kitted" and to my knowledge were not marketed as Premium or Ultra etc.
Mine is an early 2004 (January) UK model and has air suspension, Nav, recline/heated/massage rear seats, rear seat radio/AC controls, Fridge, etc. but does not have the Laser/Radar cruise control, just old fashioned fixed speed cruise control.

iriz 01-16-19 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigBoomer (Post 10411065)
The EU models were mostly sold "fully kitted" and to my knowledge were not marketed as Premium or Ultra etc.

Depending on the actual European country, the LS430 was sold in one or more versions. It is correct that in the UK only a single version was sold. However, compared to the US UL version it was missing a number of features (2004-06 model years):
  • No laser cruise as mentioned - and not available as an option (PCS with radar cruise was an option)
  • No upgraded leather interior (and thus no saddle option) - and not available as an option
  • No cooling for the rear sets - and not available as an option
In Germany the car came in two versions and with some additional individual options: A base version which apart from air suspension was very basic, and a luxury "President" version which added navi/ML and the rear seat stuff, but was missing many of the US UL features.