LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

need a new MAF Mass Airflow Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 10:24 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-be-true.html

Another forum member seemed to be quite content with paying for an item described as "new Denso OEM" and receiving something that didn't match the item description. I don't pay for an LS430 and be content with receiving an LS400. I pay for the item being advertised. Anything else is fraud.
Old 01-17-19, 07:14 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Interesting. I went fishing with the Ebay seller regarding his MAF.

While it was in an absolute genuine looking Toy/Lex box and wrapped in bubble wrap, upon very close examination, the screw holes/locations appeared to have abrasion and almost a bit of corrosion around the outer edges. Also, the electrical connectors had lines indicative of the device being connected & disconnected to something (could be simply the test apparatus?) I took some closeup pictures and sent to the seller and told him the MAF appeared used, and not brand new as described in his description.

I asked if I could return for an authentic and brand new unit.

He replied and apologized for the trouble, and said, "am sorry that the warehouse may have sent the wrong item. I have full refunded to paypal . the item no need return. so sorry the inconvenience .THX" Followed by, 邢悦灵 just sent you a refund.

I will simply throw away his MAF and use the one I just received from RockAuto.

As others have said, this DENSO unit from Rock shows it being manufactured in Vietnam. Surprisingly, the Hitachi MAF for my F150 that I just purchased from Rock is made in the USA!

Lesson learned---buy from a reputable source.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-19, 06:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.

While it was in an absolute genuine looking Toy/Lex box and wrapped in bubble wrap, upon very close examination, the screw holes/locations appeared to have abrasion and almost a bit of corrosion around the outer edges. Also, the electrical connectors had lines indicative of the device being connected & disconnected to something (could be simply the test apparatus?) I took some closeup pictures and sent to the seller and told him the MAF appeared used, and not brand new as described in his description.

He replied and apologized for the trouble, and said, "am sorry that the warehouse may have sent the wrong item. I have full refunded to paypal . the item no need return. so sorry the inconvenience .THX" Followed by, 邢悦灵 just sent you a refund.

As others have said, this DENSO unit from Rock shows it being manufactured in Vietnam. Surprisingly, the Hitachi MAF for my F150 that I just purchased from Rock is made in the USA!

Thanks guys.
Turn the counterfeit part over to your Federal or National authorities.

Old 01-17-19, 08:41 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks guys.
Thank you too for giving more insights into MAF subject. To add to your information, tomorrow evening I will submit info in regards to OEM Denso MAFs sold by Denso on Amazon.
Old 01-18-19, 05:09 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

This MAF is being sold by Denso (through authorized retailer) on Amazon priced under 50 dollars. This is quality part. PM me if you need the link. Now, I have no way to verify if this part is 100 percent authentic. However, I can assure that this part works wonderfully in comparison to cheaper Chinese (made in Japan) mafs under 30 dollars sold on eBay. Could someone please post a picture of Denso MAF from Rockauto?
Old 01-19-19, 05:19 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The sellers that are providing these fakes on Ebay or Amazon are only too happy to refund. It helps keep the authorities off their tail
Old 01-19-19, 08:36 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Here's some pictures of the MAF I received from RockAuto.

To my delight, the MAF was in a SEALED plastic bag, although that's nowhere near any guarantee the part is 100% authentic and brand new.

Old 01-19-19, 09:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I purchased my Denso MAF from Rock Auto last year. Came in box shown above and made in Viet Nam. No problems. Not sure of price but around 60 bucks or so. .
Old 01-21-19, 06:52 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

To my surprise, this is on Denso's website regarding installation....

Old 01-21-19, 07:54 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Here's some pictures of the MAF I received from RockAuto.

To my delight, the MAF was in a SEALED plastic bag, although that's nowhere near any guarantee the part is 100% authentic and brand new.

i got absolutely the same sealed package and text on the front of MAF. Seems to be we have the same product at the moment.
Old 01-21-19, 11:21 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Denso has a factory in Vietnam. There they manufacture AFM, VIC, EGRV,VCR, OCV and others shown at the page 6 in the attached PDF file although things are mostly written in Japanese. Your MAF must be manufactured there.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
About Denso Vietnam.pdf (2.18 MB, 940 views)
The following users liked this post:
LS430inDE. (01-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 05:12 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by ls430w140

i got absolutely the same sealed package and text on the front of MAF. Seems to be we have the same product at the moment.
I have yet to install mine. It's like -3,610 deg F here in the northeast, lol.

I have an OBD2 reader which also has "live data". For those of you more educated, should/what should I view/record certain items on the before MAF and after MAF to see differences (hopefully for the better?)
Old 01-22-19, 11:19 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Personally I have moved away from buying items on EBay due to the fact that counterfeits are everywhere. Ebay does a very poor job of policing their sellers.
I've had a Samsung Galaxy note 5 for several years. It's an excellent device that has given me zero issues. My wife's phone was getting flaky so I went to EBay figuring I would buy her a Note 5 like mine. Lots easier to help my wife, she's "digitally challenged" at times. Having exactly the same hardware makes it easier for me to help her.

An Ebay seller had a new Galaxy Note 5, not refurb, new. Was right around 200 bucks.

I thought I had got what I ordered. It sure appeared to be a brand new Galaxy Note 5. The phone started with weirdness right away, endless software updates, a day or two later the screen went blank.
Contacted the seller, who offered to repair it. I said no, full refund. They complied. When I was packaging up the phone for return I looked closely at the box. No way that multi billion dollar Co. like Samsung would misspell a word on their packaging.
The phone was a very good copy of a Note 5. Seller refunded, no problem there. Of course I pulled my SIM.

I REALLY wanted to report the seller to Ebay. My concern? Dead screen, no way to wipe the data on the phone I had to return to the seller. So far so good, no problems with hackers Etc.
Some times discretion is the better part of valor. Unlikely Ebay would do anything anyway. Not judging by the fact that it seems like half the stuff they sell are knockoff's.
Easy for the manufacturer's. China has no respect for intellectual property and our laws do not apply there.

China is faking pretty much anything, esp. if it small, lightweight, and valuable. Know your vendors. It's really the only way, The fakes are darn good appearance wise. They don't last, at all.
Old 01-22-19, 05:20 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklin
Personally I have moved away from buying items on EBay due to the fact that counterfeits are everywhere. Ebay does a very poor job of policing their sellers.
I've had a Samsung Galaxy note 5 for several years. It's an excellent device that has given me zero issues. My wife's phone was getting flaky so I went to EBay figuring I would buy her a Note 5 like mine. Lots easier to help my wife, she's "digitally challenged" at times. Having exactly the same hardware makes it easier for me to help her.

An Ebay seller had a new Galaxy Note 5, not refurb, new. Was right around 200 bucks.

I thought I had got what I ordered. It sure appeared to be a brand new Galaxy Note 5. The phone started with weirdness right away, endless software updates, a day or two later the screen went blank.
Contacted the seller, who offered to repair it. I said no, full refund. They complied. When I was packaging up the phone for return I looked closely at the box. No way that multi billion dollar Co. like Samsung would misspell a word on their packaging.
The phone was a very good copy of a Note 5. Seller refunded, no problem there. Of course I pulled my SIM.

I REALLY wanted to report the seller to Ebay. My concern? Dead screen, no way to wipe the data on the phone I had to return to the seller. So far so good, no problems with hackers Etc.
Some times discretion is the better part of valor. Unlikely Ebay would do anything anyway. Not judging by the fact that it seems like half the stuff they sell are knockoff's.
Easy for the manufacturer's. China has no respect for intellectual property and our laws do not apply there.

China is faking pretty much anything, esp. if it small, lightweight, and valuable. Know your vendors. It's really the only way, The fakes are darn good appearance wise. They don't last, at all.
I agree. I bailed from EBay awhile ago for the very same reason. Too many unregulated counterfeits. I’ll take my chances with Amazon but I still do my research on the sellers.
Old 01-23-19, 08:40 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Default Business practices

I frequent another message board and have been threatened with the R word with regard to my position on Chinese products. The R word of course being racism.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I have never and will never judge a man by the color of his skin.

I have had the good fortune to have traveled many places in the world, and have been to China. Great people. However the difference in business practices are night and day. It's totally cultural. Best description with regard to doing business with Chinese companies?

It's war, however in this war there was no Geneva convention. The USA has subtly shifted to that same model, esp. publicly held companies. We are not better for it.

I'm a sales rep, and darn glad that retirement is not far off for me.

Quick Reply: need a new MAF Mass Airflow Sensor?