LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 Lexus LS430 Nasty Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 08:32 AM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus LS430 Nasty Oil Leak

I purchased this Lexus LS430 in United States and I am driving this baby on the Lithuanian roads since 2012. It has been very reliable car but since moving to Lithuania in 2012 I completely abandoned required preventive maintenance (everyone is broke here). I was always bragging how good my car is because for past 10 years I am only putting gas and oil in it.... and now few days before New Year while everyone in Lithuania celebrating, my LS430 started to leak oil. First it was only few drops... and last night these drops followed me home till my low engine oil warning came on. Engine worked fine and although I had almost ran out of oil car starts and engine is not making any funny noises.

Leak is coming from left side of valve cover. I suspect it might be valve cover gasket or camshaft seal... but have no idea if it is the only place that I could be getting this nasty oil leak. I have spent my last dime and purchased timing belt kit and ordered new valve cover gaskets, I was able to get crankshaft seal but it is impossible to get camshaft seals in Lithuania. Dealer quoted 75EURx2 (left and right side seals) ... and here I am trying to save my Lexus by doing work myself because parts and labor would most likely cost as much as another used LS430.

Does anyone else had this bad oil leak from valve covers? I am starting to suspect something worse ...but since I purchased almost every part I can afford... I would most likely kill myself if that does not fix this oil leak.

Any advice is appreciated.

If I remove covers and my timing belt is dry, is it o.k. to leave old camshaft seals? Replacing them is pain in the...

Here are few pictures:

Last edited by nerijus; 12-28-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-28-18, 09:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't know the answer, but is the oil naturally just collecting at the bottom surface of the oil filter? Ditto with the steering rack? It would be nice to hear that it turns out to be the valve cover gaskets only. I know on my Maxima, it starts out as grime all around the covers and took years to materialize into fluid on the ground...
Old 12-28-18, 09:27 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

It's fairly unusual to have that bad an oil leak from the LS430 but our cars are getting older with progressive issues. I agree with Johnhav430 about the valve cover replacement being a better scenario to repair than other possible leaks. I've replaced both my valve cover gaskets over the years as well as the dip stick o ring and oil level sender. None of these leaks ever progressed to the ground as I took care of them when they were first noticed. Best advice is to clean the engine and undercarriage as best you can to get a better idea of where the oil is coming from. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-18, 09:31 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

This is assuming valve cover is the problem, have you try to tighten the bolts around valve cover? They loosen itself from vibration. Make sure PCV valve is not clogged. I believe if it is clogged it will increase the internal pressure and you can get oil being pushed pass the gasket.

I would suggest first to add some oil and make sure all other fluids are full. Clean the engine compartment, then see if you can spot where the leak come from. Your picture is showing a lot of area being fully covered with oil, so kinda hard to pin point where the oil come from.
Old 12-28-18, 09:50 AM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

Although it is almost 8PM here in Lithuania and is dark I located source of my oil leak. It is on left side right under timing belt cover. I am praying that it is only valve cover gasket, but it also could be left side camshaft seal. I know they are pain in the ... to replace because I was told that all camshaft must come out.

I consider myself lucky since my LS430 has 163000 miles and never had any preventive maintenance done besides changing oil and few rear wheel bearings.

I got most of the parts ...but if this will be camshaft seal...I will have to park my car till I get seals shipped.

Will keep you guys posted and thank you for replies.

Picture of spotted oil leak (left side valve cover right below timing belt cover, as you can see gasket seems flat.):

The following users liked this post:
LS430inDE. (01-02-19)
Old 12-28-18, 10:10 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I wouldn't doubt it's a Camshaft seal. Unfortunately, not an easy job. Was the timing belt done around the 100K mile mark? If not, it is time to do the belt AND the cam seals.
Old 12-28-18, 11:36 AM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

Timing belt was not done. This car has 163000 miles. I purchased OEM belt all parts that come in kit. I also purchased valve cover gaskets with spark plug seals and DENSO spark plugs... the only thing they do not have in Lithuania is camshaft seals... and originals OEM dealer asked 75EUR each... if I need to replace them... my car will be parked till I get these seals
Old 12-28-18, 01:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

....camshaft seals... or in further alternative VV ti (cam phasers) o-rings (available in aftermarket...maintain indexing critical) both require camshaft removal.

Critical you obtain a.Lexus shop manual to guide you in removing and reinstalling; camshaft, VVti units , use of service bolts to retain tension on scissor gear tensioning spring (reduces gear backlash and noise) and torque specs...application points of FIPG..

Use Toyota FIPG....

Consider replacing valve cover bolt seals, PCV valve, PCV hoses (both banks) hose clamps,

Old 12-28-18, 01:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nerijus
Timing belt was not done. This car has 163000 miles. I purchased OEM belt all parts that come in kit. I also purchased valve cover gaskets with spark plug seals and DENSO spark plugs... the only thing they do not have in Lithuania is camshaft seals... and originals OEM dealer asked 75EUR each... if I need to replace them... my car will be parked till I get these seals
Are you saying that to the best of your knowledge your car never had the timing belt replaced in all of the 163,000 miles?
Old 12-28-18, 03:11 PM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

Timing belt was never replaced. Will find out more tomorrow. I do hope my camshaft seals are not leaking.
Old 12-28-18, 05:33 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Keep us posted... Would it be cheaper to have one of us purchase the parts and ship them to you, as opposed to you purchasing them in Lithuania?? Just wondering...
Old 12-29-18, 08:00 AM
nerijus
Driver School Candidate

I think I got very lucky. It does not seem to be camshaft or crankshaft seals. I was also told that Lexus makes these seals to last 500K miles... and they rarely leak oil. after removing my covers I found few hundred grams of rubber dust. My original Lexus belt lasted 163000 miles...but if not this oil leak I think I only had few months to go.

I opened right valve cove and found disaster... my gasket is cooked and it is as hard as plastic. These 4 spark plug rings are cracked and damaged. I snapped one valve cover bolt and now stuck till I remove this snapped bolt.

Here are few pictures that convinced me that my camshaft seals are fine:

and here is my right side with valve cover removed:

I will end up doing :

1. Valve cover gaskets
2. Spark plug seals
3. Spark plugs
4. Timing belt (all parts)
5. Coolant flush and change
6. Oil change

If this Lexus starts after I am done.... I will buy myself a case of beer and celebrate New Year

P.S. These spark plug gaskets are cooked in to valve cover. Is there any easy way to remove them?
StanVanDam (01-11-19)
Old 12-29-18, 08:44 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Once you bend the 4 steel tabs up you can pry the seals out with a large screwdriver. Mine were very brittle and some broke and came out in pieces. They aren't the easiest but just take your time.
You got lucky with that oil leak. From the pics I would have guessed it was going to be something more than the valve covers.
nerijus (01-02-19)
Old 12-29-18, 09:21 AM
HLamar
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

3UZ Valve Cover Gaskets FWIW

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
nerijus (01-02-19)
Old 12-29-18, 09:57 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

This thread can serve as further confirmation of the longevity of our OEM timing belts.
nerijus (01-02-19)

Quick Reply: 2002 Lexus LS430 Nasty Oil Leak