LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Handling/Ride Problems - Do I need new struts?

Old 12-27-18, 08:21 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Handling/Ride Problems - Do I need new struts?

Hi everyone -

My LS is an 06 with 105K and it's been a super car since I bought it two years ago with 59k. Over the past year or so, I have noticed a deterioration in the cars handling, especially over 45mph (curves especially - the car really sways and is harder to control), and the ride does not feel as well-damped over common road features (pot holes, expansion joints, etc.). I had the car inspected by my local mechanic, and they said that everything (springs and struts) was within tolerance and not leaking, and they recommended no service. I was ready to have some suspension work done, but they convinced me that it didn't need it and I was just not used to the softer ride of the LS. I'm not convinced as I've had previous LS' that have (in my memory) been far more controlled and damped.

I'm ready to buy front/rear struts for the car, preferably the Sport models, but I don't want to swap out parts that don't need to be changed either. Could folks recommend a definitive strut test for our vehicles?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-18, 08:25 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

There is no tolerance or way to check if struts are bad, if they are leaking oil they are bad.
Old 12-27-18, 08:28 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Thanks - are the symptoms I described (lack of control, etc..) sound like bad struts or something else?
Old 12-27-18, 08:59 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney94
Thanks - are the symptoms I described (lack of control, etc..) sound like bad struts or something else?
It's crazy to throw away money on strut replacements unless you know for certain they are bad. I had to replace my front struts at around 120,000 miles mainly because of an annoying noise. If they are not leaking, I'd look for other causes. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
The following users liked this post:
gmoney94 (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 09:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I would have an indie drive it, and lift it. I know when I got my car, Lexus said I needed new struts, and were willing to do them for only $1,800. I thought well that is a really cheap price, but I also hate to replace them unnecessarily (indie said huh? you don't need them, and I'm being sarcastic on the price, a BMW could get top of the line Bilstein coilovers for that much).

I believe our cars are susceptible to needing sway bar end links, though mine were fine at 86k....

p.s. where I live, PA, leaking shocks/struts is a safety inspection fail, torn boots are not...
gmoney94 (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 09:59 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

All my bushings on my 04 ls are all dried up, control arms ,sway bars ,rear diff , driveshaft ,steering rack
its there a kit of bushings i can buy to swap out ?
Old 12-27-18, 10:21 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Great question, I'd love to know the answer to this as well.
Old 12-27-18, 10:37 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was going to suggest checking sway bars, bushings, end links, ball joints etc
gmoney94 (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 10:47 AM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Hi everyone -

My LS is an 06 with 105K and it's been a super car since I bought it two years ago with 59k. Over the past year or so, I have noticed a deterioration in the cars handling, especially over 45mph (curves especially - the car really sways and is harder to control), and the ride does not feel as well-damped over common road features (pot holes, expansion joints, etc.). I had the car inspected by my local mechanic, and they said that everything (springs and struts) was within tolerance and not leaking, and they recommended no service. I was ready to have some suspension work done, but they convinced me that it didn't need it and I was just not used to the softer ride of the LS. I'm not convinced as I've had previous LS' that have (in my memory) been far more controlled and damped.

I'm ready to buy front/rear struts for the car, preferably the Sport models, but I don't want to swap out parts that don't need to be changed either. Could folks recommend a definitive strut test for our vehicles?

Thanks!
Based on your description I would look at sway bar bushings and end links. In the grand scheme of a 430's rather sophisticated front end design these are also the least expensive and easiest to replace. Next on the list would be lower ball joints, tie rods, and possibly lower control arm bushings. Most ppl don't know these parts exist and know nothing about what they do so when the front end doesn't feel right everyone assumes it's a strut problem...

lorenr (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 11:13 AM
gmoney94
Driver

Thanks a million - I don't have experience replacing the pieces you mentioned, but I'll take it to my guy and have him take a look.
Old 12-27-18, 12:39 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Also another sign of bad struts is tire wear on the outside of the tire. Agree with sway bar bushings and endlinks if they were bad the car would be kinda terrifying to drive.
Old 12-27-18, 12:46 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Bradland is correct. There are a lot of bushings, end links, control arm parts and related inserts that can wear. They all can affect driving. Many of the replacement parts are as good or better than OEM.

That said and since I can't stand it unless I do my own work, I do the whole damn thing. I've found that once I get into it, I replace everything. Seems that every time I decide to "cheap out", I don't find the cheap part.

Would love it if someone made a complete bushing and strut kit.

Loren
gmoney94 (12-28-18)
Old 12-27-18, 02:52 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Over the past year or so, I have noticed a deterioration in the cars handling, especially over 45mph (curves especially - the car really sways and is harder to control), and the ride does not feel as well-damped over common road features (pot holes, expansion joints, etc.).
If this is my car, I would do these in the following order:
- Replaced front and rear sway bar bushings.
- Replaced front and rear end links.
- Replaced front and rear struts.

The first two are the cheapest and easiest, can be done in couple hours. You can see if that fixed the problem. I think it will fix some, especially handling around the curve. However, your description about handling over pot holes and road irregularities, that points to struts. I have not replace struts in LS but have done it in other cars. It is more involved but doable for DIYer.

I agree with the idea that if the struts are leaking they are definitely bad. Having said that I also know that not all bad struts are leaking. Your car (06 with 105K) I assume still has original struts, is 12 yr and over 100K miles. That is a long time without replacing struts. I have had other cars where the struts is not leaking but when I change the struts the difference is dramatic.

I would also check lower control arm bushings. On mine with 125K miles, the fluid filled bushings are not leaking yet but they have cracks, so they will be replaced this coming weekend. These also should be pretty easy to do.
gmoney94 (12-28-18)
Old 12-27-18, 03:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

I have noticed a deterioration in the cars handling, especially over 45mph (curves especially - the car really sways and is harder to control), and the ride does not feel as well-damped over common road features (pot holes, expansion joints, etc.).
Your description of the "deterioration" appears to focus on problems with taking curves, such as under-steer (front of car is sliding away from the curve), over-steer (rear of car is sliding away from the curve), body-roll (top of the car is tilting away from the curve), etc. These problems can be addressed by installing stiffer anti-roll sway bar(s). I replaced my front and rear sway bars with the Ultra Racing products (available on eBay). They helped tremendously on keeping the car in control when taking curves fast.

gmoney94 (12-28-18)
Old 12-27-18, 11:41 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Hi everyone -

Thanks!
I highly doubt that your struts are bad at this mileage.

I suggest looking at your tires first.

LS430 quality of ride highly depends also on proper wheel alignment, proper torque of all bushings (or retorque after considerable mileage to ensure tight connection), wheel balancing, and making sure LCA bushings dont have cracks in the rubber. These are the first things to consider based on my experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling/Ride Problems - Do I need new struts?