LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member with 2006 LS430!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 10:07 PM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with 2006 LS430!!

Just got myself into a 2006 LS430 with 148000 miles and it's a great ride. I've always thought highly of this cars and had an opportunity to switch out of my SUV. I've been reading much of the posting with great interest and already I've amassed a wealth of knowledge. Thank you all! I've read into the front end clunk (which I had) and how the radiator cap/cooling system needs attention (not unlike my BMW 330) and how to integrate bluetooth on a car that desparately needs it.

As far as the clunk, my experience was similar. Slower speeds (under 35mph), rough surfaces (cobblestone etc.), slight down ramp onto the street making right turns especially were bad. First had the struts replaced but that only helped a touch (20%?) Had the car on the lift and we could see movement on the passenger side wheel on the 12/6 position. As it turned out the person that did the alignment before (maybe) did not tighten the bolt on the LCA enough and was lose. This solved 90% of the problem. I feel the 10% will actually be the bushings.

I've read here about adding a bluetooth system that was around a $150 dollars that involved going in behind the CD player and disabling it I place of it. I forget the name of the unit. I'm on the road a ton and I need audiobooks to keep me sane so this was important. So I opted for the FM transmitter as an alternative. Surprisingly stable and the sound is very good. Also the $14.99 price tag is attractive and is noninvasive. Just an alternative for those not inclined to go into the panels.

I look forward to learning more! Thank you all. Cheers.
Old 11-14-18, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats!! and welcome!! I too have a 2006 purchased in 10/16 with 81k.

I have a clunk, and once I found an indie, I had him drive the car extensively. Btw at this point, same shop had replaced the LCA bushings with OE parts that I provided--at the time, they warned me they were confident I would NOT notice any difference, and they were right. But you had movement. Anyhow, he concluded I should install the factory OE brake shims to see if the noise would stop. I never did it, but, he showed me on the lift everything was tight, and gently tapped on the part of the brake pads, where the pins slide through, and it was the same sound. Shims are supposed to dampen the sound and also prevent any movement at all--the factory has 2 kinds between the pad backing and pistons, so 8 shims per axle.

On the coolant, day 2 with my car, there was zero in the reservoir, and none to be seen in the radiator!! I actually think that is normal for a 10 y.o. car which never had it addressed, or maybe not for 5 years. Never overheated, and I've had the car 25 1/2 mos. now, no issues.

I actually went with a lifetime alignment for about $170? at Firestone since I'm keeping the car....it was way off when I got it. so there is just a tad more negative camber like -1.9...But I understand nothing can really be done without different lateral arms which come in 3 lengths...
Old 11-14-18, 10:11 AM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Congrats!! and welcome!! I too have a 2006 purchased in 10/16 with 81k.

I have a clunk, and once I found an indie, I had him drive the car extensively. Btw at this point, same shop had replaced the LCA bushings with OE parts that I provided--at the time, they warned me they were confident I would NOT notice any difference, and they were right. But you had movement. Anyhow, he concluded I should install the factory OE brake shims to see if the noise would stop. I never did it, but, he showed me on the lift everything was tight, and gently tapped on the part of the brake pads, where the pins slide through, and it was the same sound. Shims are supposed to dampen the sound and also prevent any movement at all--the factory has 2 kinds between the pad backing and pistons, so 8 shims per axle.

On the coolant, day 2 with my car, there was zero in the reservoir, and none to be seen in the radiator!! I actually think that is normal for a 10 y.o. car which never had it addressed, or maybe not for 5 years. Never overheated, and I've had the car 25 1/2 mos. now, no issues.

I actually went with a lifetime alignment for about $170? at Firestone since I'm keeping the car....it was way off when I got it. so there is just a tad more negative camber like -1.9...But I understand nothing can really be done without different lateral arms which come in 3 lengths...
So I did replace the radiator cap the other day just in case and had a massive alignment done yesterday. It was terribly off. One of the tires that came with the car was worn prematurely on the outside and now sits on rear passenger side. I'm assuming it was on the front at some point for a while and rotated.

I'll have to check the brake shims to confirm. I hope that's the final 10%!! Thanks for the insight. Cheers
Old 11-14-18, 10:35 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats! Just got myself a 02 UL commuter car, and I literally just put in the same FM transmitter from Amazon, and it surpassed my expectations! It's a used car....won't be perfect, just get to to where it's right for you and enjoy the ride!