LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2013 Avalon vs 2005 LS 430 vs 2010 LS 460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 06:15 AM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Steel wool it with 00000 and apply Tung oil with a guaze pad. Let dry and complete a couple more times. You can do this with wheel in place.
I concur. I did this to mine which had several small cracks on the top. You could feel the cracks when you rubbed your hand across the top. I did three or four coats of tung oil, let them dry a day each and then used some polishing compound to buff. It’s smooth as glass now!

The following 2 users liked this post by Tharper1:
caverman (11-16-18), Wintercat (11-22-18)
Old 11-16-18, 07:30 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharper1

I concur. I did this to mine which had several small cracks on the top. You could feel the cracks when you rubbed your hand across the top. I did three or four coats of tung oil, let them dry a day each and then used some polishing compound to buff. It’s smooth as glass now!

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I might give this a try in the spring when the weather warms up.
Old 11-20-18, 08:29 PM
Wintercat
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go for the 430. I've driven a 460, was okay, but the 430 feels higher quality inside and is more pleasant to drive. I bought it for a high class highway cruiser for commute, I already had an SC400 for an exhaust-rumble toy. Avalons...I've had them for rentals. They're fine for a long cruise, but they're a step well below the Lexus. Plastic bits in the interior. No comparison in seat comfort next to the 430.

Also, if you're talking an Avalon from early 2010's to just recently, the nav/etc is atrocious. No CarPlay, no Android Auto, and all I could use when linked via BT was Scout GPS, which was hot garbage.

Toyota has had a problem with good phone app integration for a while, which is why I deliberately went for an non-nav 430. I want to put in something top of the line that fits the double DIN slot.
Old 11-21-18, 07:36 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wintercat
I'd go for the 430. I've driven a 460, was okay, but the 430 feels higher quality inside and is more pleasant to drive. I bought it for a high class highway cruiser for commute, I already had an SC400 for an exhaust-rumble toy. Avalons...I've had them for rentals. They're fine for a long cruise, but they're a step well below the Lexus. Plastic bits in the interior. No comparison in seat comfort next to the 430.

Also, if you're talking an Avalon from early 2010's to just recently, the nav/etc is atrocious. No CarPlay, no Android Auto, and all I could use when linked via BT was Scout GPS, which was hot garbage.

Toyota has had a problem with good phone app integration for a while, which is why I deliberately went for an non-nav 430. I want to put in something top of the line that fits the double DIN slot.

That is good to know! I'm pretty much positive that I'm buying a 430. I honestly haven't even driven the 430, but most seem to say it drives better than the 460 and I have driven one of those. I'll be sure to let yal know what I get and my impressions.
Old 11-23-18, 01:11 PM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sort of in the same fight right now .We have been looking at 2012-2014 Nissan maximas but I have been looking for a 2005-06 LS 430 for almost two years now. We just found out kid number two is on the way and now Im thinking the Maxima is going to be too tight in backseats so shying back towards the 430. The wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a car so much older than the maximas but I can't shake it.
Old 11-23-18, 01:25 PM
Wintercat
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Little
I'm sort of in the same fight right now .We have been looking at 2012-2014 Nissan maximas but I have been looking for a 2005-06 LS 430 for almost two years now. We just found out kid number two is on the way and now Im thinking the Maxima is going to be too tight in backseats so shying back towards the 430. The wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a car so much older than the maximas but I can't shake it.
If it helps, Consumer Reports' latest car issue lists the most reliable 12+ year old cars, and Lexus LS is on top as Most Reliable. Range Rover is least reliable, unsurprisingly.

It also helps if you can turn a wrench on minor things yourself. The AFS sensor's bracket on mine was broken. Lexus wanted $700 for that. The part, shared with other models, can be had online (entire threads on that), and it's just three 10mm nuts and a plug in the left rear wheel well. As with any older luxury car, the more minor work you can do yourself, the cheaper the cost of ownership will be. These are really easy to work on.

The LS will definitely be a safe car for kids once they're out of carseats. It's built like a tank, and has side curtain airbags, knee airbags, everything. Take a look at some wrecks when they show up as parted-out donor cars, even the ones that got hit hard in a frontal offset seem to have an intact cabin. That's a good sign.

Last edited by Wintercat; 11-23-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 03:46 AM
Little
Driver

Turning the wrenches is not a problem at all. I used to build fast cars and had a performance shop for ten minutes lol. My 2001 Mercedes E430 doesn't ever let me take a break with turning the wrenches either. Her name is "Mercy" but sometimes she is called mercilous. Even by my five year old daughter. I've had the car since 2004. I intend to keep whatever I get for ten years as well if they will let me.

I think the hardest part for me has been the pricing of these cars .I feel they should be around $9-10k but everyone I want to see is 12k plus which is making it hard to pull the trigger.
Old 11-24-18, 07:20 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

They are out there for under $10k. Maybe not in your area but if you're willing to travel you can get them priced where they need to be. There was one just the other day here local to me and it looked to be in really good shape. It was '05 Silver with Ash interior and Nav with 145k miles for $9k. A little on the high side for the miles but that was just asking price.
Old 11-24-18, 08:29 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

I think the hardest part for me has been the pricing of these cars .I feel they should be around $9-10k but everyone I want to see is 12k plus which is making it hard to pull the trigger.
I went through the same thing a year ago when looking, but finally concluded (surprise, surprise) that the market sets the price and bit the bullet. That said, spending a little more up front was well worth it to get superior quality and service history.

Old 11-24-18, 08:56 AM
Little
Driver

I'm in contact with a dealer in Florida right now but I only wanted to follow the pricing but if course they contacted me .They want 14,600 for a 2005 with 70750 miles .It has ML and sport package. I basically told them I'm just watching the price and not looking to waste their time as no way I see them ever bringing that super inflated price into the range I'm willing to pay. There is a 2006 in North Jersey that I might look at but it has 91000 miles and they are asking $12000 . It's at one of those shaky kind of dealers though so I'm Leary.
Old 11-24-18, 07:03 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

I'm in contact with a dealer in Florida right now but I only wanted to follow the pricing but if course they contacted me .They want 14,600 for a 2005 with 70750 miles .It has ML and sport package. I basically told them I'm just watching the price and not looking to waste their time as no way I see them ever bringing that super inflated price into the range I'm willing to pay. There is a 2006 in North Jersey that I might look at but it has 91000 miles and they are asking $12000 . It's at one of those shaky kind of dealers though so I'm Leary.

keep looking. You can find them with less miles for less $$ if you keep looking.
Old 11-24-18, 07:17 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys! I purchased a 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury with 70,000 miles for $10,500. My goal was to spend $10,000 but I made an exception for this one. It’s silver with black interior. The car is in excellent condition with only one small scuff that I will buff and polish out.

Drove it 5 hours back from Peoria, IL to Cincinnati. It was overall pretty good. You guys have to realize I’m extremely picky about how a car drives, especially the feedback in the steering wheel. I won’t drive a car with an vibration or pull. With that being said, at lower speeds (under 35mph) it was smooth. Going 80, it had a little vibration and I really had to fight the steering wheel. It was also somewhat choppy. My wife said it felt so much better than my ISF, but I think I may have set myself up for disappointment with reading some reviews that it is coffin like quiet and smooth like butter. It’s nice, but I have some getting familiar with the car to do.

Right now I’m doing some research on if putting 17s on the car will make it noticeably smoother and absorb imperfections better. I love how the 18s look but I bought this car for comfort and want the best ride.

Also, when braking it pulsates a little. The PPI said the brakes were at 70% so not sure what that is about.

Last edited by leisinjp; 11-24-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 07:37 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

What kind of tires does it have? This will make or break the ride especially with the 18 inch wheels.

But I know how it goes — I’m the same way. I brought the car to my local Lexus dealer and had them roadforce balance all 4 wheels and align the car. You certainly pay for it, but I haven’t yet found an indie that cares as much about our cars as the Lexus dealers do.

Last edited by Peacebay; 11-24-18 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 07:40 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Peacebay
What kind of tires does it have? This will make or break the ride especially with the 18 inch wheels

I’m huge on quality tires. This one has fairly new Michelin mxv4. I figured they were the top of the line!

Did the road force balance fix the vibration? Or are you saying that is what you have done to prevent it.
Old 11-24-18, 07:45 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp

I’m huge on quality tires. This one has fairly new Michelin mxv4. I figured they were the top of the line!
Hmmm, yeah my mom has those on her LS400 and they’re outstanding. Like I said, I’d still get them roadforce balanced (this will also detect if any wheels have a slight bend) and then get the car aligned. The steering wheel should have a heavily weighted feel on center at all speeds.

Last year, for a couple months after I bought my 430 I could not get rid of a tiny imbalance at highway speeds, no matter how much I complained to my local tire shop. I finally gave in and brought the car to the dealer. Turns out, one of my wheels was actually slightly bent. After I replaced that wheel the shake was almost gone, but at that point I decided to get the remaining 3 tires roadforce balanced and it is the smoothest ride I’ve ever felt. It will cruise at 100 without disturbing the surface of the water in my water bottle.

Last edited by Peacebay; 11-24-18 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Avalon vs 2005 LS 430 vs 2010 LS 460 AWD