LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Subwoofer replacement for 2004 LEXUS LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 10:48 AM
runrobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer replacement for 2004 LEXUS LS 430

If you replace your Subwoofer make sure you don’t make the mistake I did. My subwoofer blowed and I took it to a Stero shop to have it replaced. Then within a year my Amp blowed I send my AMP to United Radio and they fix it for $475 I called United Radio and talked to Joe in the Auto repair section. I asked him why did my AMP not work he said I blew the Subwoofer channel and I said I had the subwoofer replaced he said make sure your subwoofer is a 6 ome or higher. I went to the stero shop and they said that they installed a 4ome subwoofer. I had the subwoofer replaced with a 8 ohm Subwoofer and had it tested with a meter that showed it was pushing 8 ohm Joe at United Radio said if I didn’t chang the subwoofer to 6 ohm or higher I would blow my Amp again. Hope this helps
Old 10-18-18, 11:10 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'm surprised the shop that replaced your speaker didn't know that. Maybe that's not something they would expect to look out for?

So I have a stupid question for anyone, are the subwoofers marked with the ohms or do you have to test them? I bought my LS with an aftermarket subwoofer already installed, so I don't know what it is exactly. I don't know anything about audio related issues.
Old 10-18-18, 12:32 PM
runrobin
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer

you would have to take down all the covering on the top of the trunk and pull it down after you disconnect the light and look at the Subwoofer from the trunk view it should have four prongs where four wires are connected if it doesn’t your in trouble also take it to a stero shop and have them test it . Once I had the new one tested by the tech after install and it read 8 ohms if you have less then a six ohm Subwoofer you are going to blow your AMP And this is one of the reasons why these 2004 LEXUS LS 430 are have so much problems with the Amps going out the photo is of my old Subwoofer with only two prongs

Old Subwoofer see only has two prongs red and black can only produce 4 ohms not 6 ohms or higher my new Subwoofer has four prongs
Old 10-18-18, 04:26 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The impedance of any speaker must be carefully matched with the amplifier that drives it. The LS430 came with 2 different model amplifiers: Mark Levinson and Pioneer. The ML is designed to drive a single-voice-coil 16-ohm subwoofer (a 16-ohm impedance rated speaker will measure around 14.5-om resistance); the Pioneer amplifier is designed to drive a dual-voice-coil 2-ohm subwoofer. Please take a look at the link below for more details...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-ml-sub.html

As you probably already know, the lower the impedance/resistance provided by the speaker, to more electric current is allowed to flow through the amplifier output circuit which causes the electronics to overheat.

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-19-18 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 06:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

For the pioneer amp does that mean the amp is seeing a 1 ohm load on that sub-woofer because based on wiring diagram it looks like it is wired separately (so parallel rather than in series?). Or maybe the Pioneer amp internally makes the connection in series as the subwoofer speaker connection comes into the amp?
Old 10-18-18, 06:49 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
For the pioneer amp does that mean the amp is seeing a 1 ohm load on that sub-woofer because based on wiring diagram it looks like it is wired separately (so parallel rather than in series?). Or maybe the Pioneer amp internally makes the connection in series as the subwoofer speaker connection comes into the amp?
The Pioneer has 2 separate subwoofer output channels (Left and Right), each of which is designed to drive a 2-ohm subwoofer. The Dual Voice Coil (DVC) speaker has 2 separate voice cone windings, and can accept 2 separate signals. So essentially, the DVC is just 2 separate voice coil to drive a single voice cone.

On the other hand, the Mark Levinson is designed with a single subwoofer output channel. In order to use a DVC with the ML, we have to "jumper" the 2 channels together (aka wire in series). In this case, the impedance of the 2 channels are added together.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
Alyusx (08-27-22), Jabberwock (10-18-18)
Old 10-19-18, 06:44 AM
runrobin
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer 430

Thank you for the info on the 16 ohm for the LS Subwoofer after reading your information it look like you are right I need to have 16 ohms to match up with the ML Amp on the other hand I’m sick of pouring money into a car relying on Stero shops that don’t know what they are doing and I thought Joe at United Radio in New York know who repair my ML Amp knew what he was talking about when he said I needed a subwoofer with 8 ohm or higher since I had my Subwoofer replaced with a 4 ohm Subwoofer before. I replaced now with a 8 ohm at $250 a pop . Now I will have to go back to the stereo shop and pay another $250 to get a 16 ohm speaker I’m done I will just keep my 8 ohm Subwoofer and not blast my stero like I did in the past and hope my Amp doesn’t blow. I read on some thread that if you don’t blast the stereo you should be fine but we will see. I do know one thing United Radio is making bank off of us
Old 10-19-18, 09:21 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

For about $30, you can switch out your 8-ohm speaker with a 16-ohm. You're correct that keeping the volume down will reduce the risk of overheating your amplifier, but the possibility is still there (think Valet Parking). Some on this forum has had good results from using the Dayton subwoofer. See Post #27 on the link below for an actual example...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ed-pics-2.html
Old 10-19-18, 02:26 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
For about $30, you can switch out your 8-ohm speaker with a 16-ohm. You're correct that keeping the volume down will reduce the risk of overheating your amplifier, but the possibility is still there (think Valet Parking). Some on this forum has had good results from using the Dayton subwoofer. See Post #27 on the link below for an actual example...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ed-pics-2.html
Also someone at Amazon did a recent follow up update review after 2 years of usage with Dayton sub in his or her LS430. The reviewed was very positive. I siliconed my sub 3 years ago and now it is popped again. I may just purchased go with the Dayton instead of gluing it again.

UPDATE [Two Year's later 7/2018]:
I have had this Dayton subwoofer installed for nearly two full years, and its been smooth sailing. Very happy with the purchase, as well as its performance. Still sounds as great as the day I installed iy, and the old Mark Levinson amplifier seems to still kick butt when playing at any volume. Keep it low for general background music when going grocery shopping with your mother, or crank it up loud enough you have to almost yell to talk to your buddies riding in the back. It'll do its job aplomb with no sweat. Yes, if you jack up the "Bass" EQ on the stereo too much it will distort by reaching its maximum excursion. Otherwise if you're mildly sane about your listening habits it should be perfectly adequate. Heck the dummy writing this review in his twenties who listens to generic bass-y EDM all the time finds it perfectly suitable. Doesn't even matter if its Buffalo Springfield, Eurythmics, Lil Jon, or Avicii, it will perform as well as the original speaker will. You will not go wrong installing this if your previous subwoofer is acting up in your LS 430.

I have attached a rudimentary dBa / Frequency Response graph of the performance of the SD215AA-88 in the LS 430. Take this with a grain of salt since it wasn't using any scientific equipment (Sound Meter, COLEMETER Decibel Meter Digital Noise Meter Tester Range 30-130dB(A) with LCD Display(Batteries included)). But it should give a very rough estimate to its capability.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-19-18, 03:23 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

In case if you have not seen it, one of the regulars on this forum, Caverman, put together a very nice write-up with many pictures showing you how to replace the subwoofer without having to remove the back seat. Check it out...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-removal.html

Alternatively if you don't want to cut into the rear deck, another forum member, Mbodall, has a write-up to access the subwoofer via a more traditional method. Check out his post below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...subwoofer.html

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-19-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 11:55 AM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
In case if you have not seen it, one of the regulars on this forum, Caverman, put together a very nice write-up with many pictures showing you how to replace the subwoofer without having to remove the back seat. Check it out...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-removal.html
OMG, I bought the DIY repair kit he mentioned few year ago and didn't attempt to do the repair due to having to remove the back seat. rkw778080, you're awesome. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-22-18, 08:50 AM
VWTim
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using that Dayton for the past 6 months, works great with my rebuilt ML amp from United Radio.
Old 10-25-18, 08:09 AM
truongsean
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi runrobin,
when you say the orginal ML speaker is blown... can you be more specific. Was it just making any sound or vibration at all? sometime you can just refoam/recone the speaker and it will be fine. I have done several of them and they are good as new. check your PM....

Sean
Old 10-25-18, 10:11 AM
runrobin
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer

The subwoofer ripped and it was putting out a vibrating noise
Old 03-10-21, 08:29 PM
tazigdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go to simplyspeakers.com and get this kit. 2001-2004 Lexus LS430 Subwoofer Speaker Foam Surround Repair Kit 86160-0W260. Fixes you r subwoofer for $19.00