LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 ,24000 miles for 15.9 grand.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 06:52 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

14,500 so its a base as long as it has Smart key, the base stereo is almost as good as ML, I have had both but my ears are old, Nav is junk unless ya like the multi colors and without the NAV is a nicer dash IMO. What else does ML give ya? 14,500 if ya want a big heavy ultra cruiser!
Old 10-15-18, 04:18 AM
ShinnickSP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It had 60k miles; timing belt done at 35k miles...five years ago; the Premium Package; Smart key; 18 inch wheels. It was garage kept - the headlights are crystal clear, not yellowed one bit. The undercarriage and engine bay are spotless. I prefer the simplicity of individual components vice interacting with a touch screen for nav, climate, and sound. I have a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser with the navigation - they are almost impossible to find without it. I am 53 and listen to talk radio so the sound quality is not a big factor. Years ago i bought an expensive dvd player/screen with a mini-van thrown in. I didn't want a dated navigation system lighting up my drive with a beautiful V8 LS430 thrown in as an afterthought.
Old 10-17-18, 11:34 PM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

I AM looking at late runs of the C6 Vettes, you can get these cars cheap now and the people who own them say they rock. The ones they were building after the bailouts are suppossed to be real good quality wise......
Old 10-18-18, 07:37 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
I AM looking at late runs of the C6 Vettes, you can get these cars cheap now and the people who own them say they rock. The ones they were building after the bailouts are suppossed to be real good quality wise......
Do yourself a favor and drive one, if you havent already. My dad had a brand new 13 when they first came out, I could not believe how good the thing rode. I've driven a lot of sports cars and figured it would be similar, but damn, it really surprised me. Interior is decent, but that really is not what you should be buying one of these cars for. Definitely get one with the LS3 and 6 speed if possible. With all that being said, he now has a 2017 and says that it is better in every way than the C6 lol. Haven't driven that one yet though so I cant comment.
Old 10-19-18, 03:14 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

I was reading these guys were getting up to 30 miles a gallon, the redesign after 14 does not do it for me at all. I don't believe long term the 14's and newer will hold there value well. The car is not very pretty IMO.

From my reading 08 and later and the 12 13 were the best......I have also read a few horror stories about these cars as well, like the dealer could not figure out how to sort some problems out that show up.
Old 10-19-18, 04:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinnickSP
I had been in contact with the Cadillac dealer (Autonation) about this car. I had registered the LS430 as mine on the Lexus “Drivers” site so I could check if it had a service history at Lexus dealers. It did have a history that showed the sunroof motor didn’t work. In late August 2018 Lexus Clearwater (Autonaton) evaluated it and rather than keep it, “wholesaled” it out to the Cadillac dealer. That Lexus Clearwater wholesaled a 24k mile LS430 told me something was up. I contacted Autonation and they said it was “solid”. I asked about the sunroof and a manager checked it out and yes the sunroof doesn’t work. And, it has blisters on the dash due to sun/heat damage. CPCC noted a leak and worn brakes. The Lexus Driver’s site now shows that someone took it back to Clearwater Lexus for a pre-purchase inspection in early October. That inspection noted worn brakes. Probably other stuff because the car is still for sale at the high price.

I live in Northern Virginia and it was too much of a risk for me. Instead, I purchased a silver 2006 at Germain Lexus in Naples, FL. It didn’t have the Navigation which is what I prefer. It was in great shape and Germain Lexus fixed a steering wheel motor and did about $1,700 in service. I gambled that a Lexus dealer would keep it if it was in good shape. I paid a little premium $14.6 (dealer fees) but the car has no issues. I drove it back to Northern Virginia (1,048 miles) and it runs like a top.
Interesting that's where my car came from. It still has a sticker on the lower right corner of the windshield, pass side, and it also has the salesman's business card in the owner's manual, and also "The Florida Lemon Law and You" brochure! When I replaced the cupholder, inside the gearshift area I found a martini stirring stick, a menu from an Italian restaurant in Orlando, and some blonde hair. Car probably belonged to a politician lol

p.s. I learned from my dad not to pay those bogus fees. In his travels, honda did let him walk when he refused to pay, but nobody else. I ordered a BMW from Germany and the dealer removed the fees. imho it has to do with the bird in hand conundrum
Old 10-19-18, 05:46 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

I was reading these guys were getting up to 30 miles a gallon, the redesign after 14 does not do it for me at all. I don't believe long term the 14's and newer will hold there value well. The car is not very pretty IMO.

From my reading 08 and later and the 12 13 were the best......I have also read a few horror stories about these cars as well, like the dealer could not figure out how to sort some problems out that show up.
Pretty easy to knock down 30 MPG on the highway with a manual tranny on these. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability issues on them too much either, with the aftermarket and community being as big as it is.
Old 10-19-18, 06:39 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jyates383
Pretty easy to knock down 30 MPG on the highway with a manual tranny on these. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability issues on them too much either, with the aftermarket and community being as big as it is.
Thanks, overall I know the quality is not like a older Lexus but you are saying it is pretty good ? I mean the motor and drive train are like built real good ? I have been lead to believe the rest of the car is well thought out and made well..

I was shocked when I sat in one how well they worked for a tall person with long legs.... And the view out the window was big unlike the previous C5 generation.

I know the C5 GEN is no where near as good but done up right to me they look a good bit better in the hard roof package. Go on Utube and look at the CCW C5........These cars can be made to look like WOW!
Old 10-19-18, 07:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, overall I know the quality is not like a older Lexus but you are saying it is pretty good ? I mean the motor and drive train are like built real good ? I have been lead to believe the rest of the car is well thought out and made well..

I was shocked when I sat in one how well they worked for a tall person with long legs.... And the view out the window was big unlike the previous C5 generation.

I know the C5 GEN is no where near as good but done up right to me they look a good bit better in the hard roof package. Go on Utube and look at the CCW C5........These cars can be made to look like WOW!
I drove the manual Stingray this summer and loved it--it was a 7 spd if I recall. I don't like the looks and hate the rear glass. But I do not use the word "love" very often when describing a car that I drove.

I think a Corvette or 911 "used" is a good move. For 911? A gentleman who said he owned several finds 5 y.o. to be the sweet spot. But that was about 6 years ago--now that most are AWD or many, I think they are more daily driven. His point was that most cars are not daily drivers and many are garage queens, so 5 y.o. doesn't mean much yet there is a good amount of depreciation...
Old 10-19-18, 08:47 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

My opinion is the 2014 C7's and later look like Transformers in the Z06 or Grand Sport version and the Base model is still not as good looking as the C6 generation before it, I dont' like the glass either so a convertible is the car but rag tops have issues in some regards.

Like I stated go look at the C5 FRC or Z06 version done up correctly, in the looks they really got it BIG TIME.... Its a hard top that was only produced in some C5 series. They should be starting to go up big time on merits of looks, oddly it was the cheapest model made for someone who could not afford the regular versions in 1999 and 2000 but then Chevy realized it was a hit so they based the first generation Z06 in 2001 off that platform...
Old 10-19-18, 10:09 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Well its definitely not LS430 quality, but a huge improvement over the C5's interior for sure. The LS3 and TR6060 tranny are pretty bulletproof, there is a reason why people swap these LS motors in to absolutely everything these days and they really respond to mods. I totally agree with you on the FRC C5's, a C5 Z06 will likely be the next car I purchase. Interior room is great, as you said. I'm 6'3 and had no problems at all. Pretty tough to beat the C6 for the money, I just prefer the more raw experience the C5 Z06 offers, but you could daily drive the C6 and actually be comfortable doing so. My dad put 90k miles on his in less than 3 years without a single issue. Pretty amazing how far these cars have come.
Old 10-19-18, 11:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Well its definitely not LS430 quality, but a huge improvement over the C5's interior for sure. The LS3 and TR6060 tranny are pretty bulletproof, there is a reason why people swap these LS motors in to absolutely everything these days and they really respond to mods. I totally agree with you on the FRC C5's, a C5 Z06 will likely be the next car I purchase. Interior room is great, as you said. I'm 6'3 and had no problems at all. Pretty tough to beat the C6 for the money, I just prefer the more raw experience the C5 Z06 offers, but you could daily drive the C6 and actually be comfortable doing so. My dad put 90k miles on his in less than 3 years without a single issue. Pretty amazing how far these cars have come.
I don't see the LS430 as being necessarily high "quality." Look at all the stuff that is usually broken on a used car--door actuators, tilt/telescope wheel, rear sunshade, mirror switches, subwoofer, these are not things that a driver breaks because of the way they treat the car. Cupholder is usually busted, that is driver caused, but also a design issue. The LS430 is reliable...I would say German cars are higher quality, but overall less reliable. I think sometimes people think something is not high quality if it needs repairs, what I'm talking about is how it feels when one touches a part or a piece or component. The Stingray I drove imho was fine to me. People at work all said ugh not my style.

edit: maybe this illustrates what I'm saying, is a Camry high quality? I think it is reliable, but the fit/finish parts components feel cheap
Old 10-19-18, 11:20 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

On the Lexus that is what a few guy's who were mechanics told me, they told me do not be fooled, a Lexus is a Toyota and uses many off the floor Toyota mid grade parts and such. One mechanic told me Acura was a different company than Honda and used better grade parts than the Hondas got like switches and such so some things about the cars were better quality than a Lexus. I am talking the older cars, everybody has told me Japenese quality has dropped immensely in the last decade or so.

The rear wheel drive Lexus's have that great V8 motor which makes it a great platform. I have seen a few vehichles with this engine in it with over 1 million miles and no major issues....

Last edited by Whipitnow; 10-19-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 11:31 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the chit chat, so you think those will be collectable shortly ? I do not like the way on the C5 Z06 they cut the holes in the body for the rear brake vent, the 99 2000 looks cleaner. Some people think the 99 2000 model in the long run may be the better investment but I have no idea.

The C6 is a much better DD car from what i have heard and the later models ones are just supposed to be a better car period in all regards? I noticed when I sat in a C6 it was much more comfortable and you had much better visibility out the front or am I wrong ? so for a weekend car you like the older C5 as a collectable ?
Old 10-19-18, 08:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Gee, I thought this was a Lexus LS430 forum. Guess not!

Quick Reply: 2006 ,24000 miles for 15.9 grand.