LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 ,24000 miles for 15.9 grand.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 06:30 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
Thanks for the chit chat, so you think those will be collectable shortly ? I do not like the way on the C5 Z06 they cut the holes in the body for the rear brake vent, the 99 2000 looks cleaner. Some people think the 99 2000 model in the long run may be the better investment but I have no idea.

The C6 is a much better DD car from what i have heard and the later models ones are just supposed to be a better car period in all regards? I noticed when I sat in a C6 it was much more comfortable and you had much better visibility out the front or am I wrong ? so for a weekend car you like the older C5 as a collectable ?
Im not buying it as a collectible or to make money, its just what I prefer. Although I do think the C5 Z06's will hold their value and possibly grow in the future. I have a lot more seat time in C6's than the C5 and none in the C7 so I cant comment on it, but yes you are correct, the C6 is a better DD in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. More comfortable, newer, better stock engine and drivetrain, better visibility and a lot more "electronic stuff". Looks are subjective of course but I think they look great too.

Sorry for derailing this thread lol, but it seemed to kind of die off anyway with the car in the OP deemed as overpriced by everyone.
Old 10-20-18, 06:34 AM
ShinnickSP
Driver School Candidate

I don’t know if the Ls430 is the best car ever built or if it uses a lot of Toyota bits. I don’t have much experience with it but wanted to lend my perspective. The LS430 is basically a 20 year old design. The 2001 began to be sold in the fall of 2000 which means it was designed and sourced in the late 90s. That was early in Lexus’ history so the parts are probably pulled from Toyota’s parts bin. Being that it may be a high quality Toyota that may contribute to its ease of repair. I really like the simplicity of interior design especially without the navigation. The quality of the carpet and leather…the conservative old school comfort.

I don’t have the inclination to buy or lease a newish Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. I live in Northern Virginia so high-end luxury cars are a dime a dozen. Anyone could have one. People lease the high-end luxury cars and move on to something else quickly. The LS430 (mine for example) is one of those cars that flies under the radar. Purchased new and held on by one family (father to son). I guess my point is – not everyone can have an LS430 or understands what they are i.e., a flagship vehicle when Lexus was still “hungry”.
Old 10-20-18, 08:19 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jyates383
Im not buying it as a collectible or to make money, its just what I prefer. Although I do think the C5 Z06's will hold their value and possibly grow in the future. I have a lot more seat time in C6's than the C5 and none in the C7 so I cant comment on it, but yes you are correct, the C6 is a better DD in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. More comfortable, newer, better stock engine and drivetrain, better visibility and a lot more "electronic stuff". Looks are subjective of course but I think they look great too.

Sorry for derailing this thread lol, but it seemed to kind of die off anyway with the car in the OP deemed as overpriced by everyone.
I am not either, it is just these things are like cheap now. This may be a bad sign the economy is fixing to implode big time. I want one to keep and I realized as stated above most of these cars are low mileage garage queens and are like mint but one major issue and how hard they are to wrench them can set you back big quick without a real good mechanic.... Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated....
Old 10-20-18, 10:36 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

I am not either, it is just these things are like cheap now. This may be a bad sign the economy is fixing to implode big time. I want one to keep and I realized as stated above most of these cars are low mileage garage queens and are like mint but one major issue and how hard they are to wrench them can set you back big quick without a real good mechanic.... Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated....
Good point on the premium you will pay for parts and to have work done on those cars. They call it the Corvette tax for a reason lol. The good news is, they are very reliable and surprisingly easy to work on. Good luck with your search!
Old 10-28-18, 07:31 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

You know I don't know about the Lexus's but on the Corvettes a person made a point and said the cars long term will just be a nightmare when all the electrical stuff starts going out from age. He said GM made the cars to be disposable and already does not support some items on the latest versions of the Vette....

Just wondering how it is on the best Japenese stuff as well...... I know it is alot better than the GM stuff but...... ?
Old 10-28-18, 08:08 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the evidence has shown that these older Lexus’ stand the test of time, almost unbelievably so. My 05 with 80k miles has only had ONE thing go wrong on it (and I have all of the service records from Lexus to show this) and that was a freak manufacturing defect that manifested itself in 2007 when the passenger window motor stopped working.

My mother daily drives a 1998 LS400 with 202,000 miles. It still runs and drives like new, no oil consumption, oil leaks, or strange noises. My buddy has a 1993 Ls400 with 240k miles. Same thing — it drives smoother and more comfortably than a lot of new cars.

I’ve owned Jeep Wranglers, VAG cars (Volkswagen/Audi), domestic pickups, and domestic sedans. Nothing has fascinated me more than the reliability of these Lexus’. I have no experience with the LS460s and up, but the 400/430 in my opinion, is the most comfortable, practical utlilitarian vehicles on the road today. They will be revered and driven for many more years to come.

Side note — has anyone else noticed that the prices of really nice 05-06 430s has been slowly increasing? It’s going to be interesting to see if it’s a bubble or an actual trend.
Old 10-28-18, 11:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the longevity is over rated. I have had 2 and at 175k or so the springs and struts neeed to be replaced and are costly. Its a heavy car wonder if it "spring sags" just sitting around. Both mine I was am looking to get rid of at 200k due to spring sag. Now folks would say normal maintenance and they have a good point, but to start tossing a couple grand into a 200k LS is questionable.
Old 10-28-18, 11:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe its just my problem though but the tires start wearing weird can't get a true alignment and starts driving heavier than even the heavy car it is.
Old 10-28-18, 12:04 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

with blisters on the dash i wonder how much the paint suffered
Old 10-28-18, 02:27 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

On the Lexus that is what a few guy's who were mechanics told me, they told me do not be fooled, a Lexus is a Toyota and uses many off the floor Toyota mid grade parts and such. One mechanic told me Acura was a different company than Honda and used better grade parts than the Hondas got like switches and such so some things about the cars were better quality than a Lexus.
Whoever told you to that was wrong. Honda Acura are the same company and share platforms and many parts. And both Toyota and Lexus consistently score much higher than Acura in vehicle dependability studies, with Lexus always been at or near the top. Acura isn't even close.
Old 10-28-18, 04:11 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
to start tossing a couple grand into a 200k LS is questionable.
My thinking exactly which is what prompted me to sell the 2001. 206K miles and as much as I was driving, I decided it was time to let it go..
Old 11-03-18, 07:42 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob04
Whoever told you to that was wrong. Honda Acura are the same company and share platforms and many parts. And both Toyota and Lexus consistently score much higher than Acura in vehicle dependability studies, with Lexus always been at or near the top. Acura isn't even close.
The model Acura RL I have has no probelm with the interior bubbling up in the heat, the redesign in 05 on the RL had this problem after that. This Lexus on this thread has that issue as this car is proof.

I had a few mechics tell me Honda owned Acura but was not tied to the hip as much as Lexus was to Toyota. I have had several mechnics tell me Lexus takes Toyota parts and puts them in a different box and marks them up ?
Old 11-03-18, 07:45 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
My thinking exactly which is what prompted me to sell the 2001. 206K miles and as much as I was driving, I decided it was time to let it go..
Are the struts really that much ? The struts on my RL were not that bad but were after market....
Old 11-03-18, 10:19 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

The model Acura RL I have has no probelm with the interior bubbling up in the heat, the redesign in 05 on the RL had this problem after that. This Lexus on this thread has that issue as this car is proof.

I had a few mechics tell me Honda owned Acura but was not tied to the hip as much as Lexus was to Toyota. I have had several mechnics tell me Lexus takes Toyota parts and puts them in a different box and marks them up ?
In the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study, not only is Acura below Chevy and Ford, it's is actually below the industry average. Even below Mini and Volkswagon. Care to guess who is #1?
Old 11-03-18, 01:31 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Acura's VDS rating is actually considerably below Honda's. How does a premium brand allow that to happen? That would be like Toyota being rated higher than Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2006 ,24000 miles for 15.9 grand.