LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Has anyone “cracked the code” on ML stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 06:59 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Has anyone “cracked the code” on ML stereo?

And what I mean by that is are there still no viable replacements for speakers yet? Most of my speakers are blown (I suspect surrounds are shot) on my 2006 LS with 140k on it.

What I really would like to do is upgrade everything but as we all know, the head unit is also everything else. So, no fancy new HU and amps without MAJOR $$$.

Has anyone been able to successfully go around all the proprietary ML stuff or found reasonably priced speakers/subs/tweets that won’t tax the original amps?

I don’t want to relocate any speakers because that’s where all the ML magic happens. I think the DSP software is also a big part of why this system sounded so good when it was new.

I’ve asked this before (a couple of years ago) but rather than bump up a zombie thread I thought I would start a new one in case there have been some innovations.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-24-18, 10:56 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The best-bang-for-the-buck approach is to replace the speakers' surround. The acoustic characteristics and placement/aim of the various component speakers were matched by the factory to optimally reproduce sound.

To find replacement speakers, you must match 1) physical fit dimension, 2) electrical power handling and impedance rating, and 3) acoustic characteristic. The physical fit dimension is fairly easy to match. The electrical requirements are also easy to match. In general, the replacement speakers must be rated to handle the power (in Watts), and are designed to work with a certain impedance load (For ML:16Ω for sub-woofer, 8Ω for all other speakers). Beware that lower-than-required impedance will allow excess current to flow and can over-heat the amplifier. Lastly, the acoustic characteristic is the most difficult to match. The sound reproduction is carried out by utilizing multiple component speakers. Each of these speakers, depend upon location and aim, covers a certain range of sound frequency (Hz), and reproduces these sound at a certain loudness (dB). In some cases, the loudness is not linear throughout the range (typically tapered at the two ends of the frequency range to feather-in with other component speakers). Obviously, the frequency coverage is important. For example, frequency coverage for the subwoofer and the mid-bass must be selected without gaps or overlaps. If the mid-bass does not pick up the frequency where the subwoofer drops off, some of the sound will not be reproduced and therefore loss. On the other hand, if both the subwoofer and the mid-bass overlap on a certain frequency, an interference will occur.

By all fairness, most of us are not sound engineers and do not have the trained-ears to detect these finer differences. At best, we may complain that the sound is a little OFF, or that the bass is not hard-hitting enough. Having said all that, you can probably ignore the acoustic requirements and know that most any speakers you choose will reproduce sound satisfactorily.
Old 09-24-18, 08:26 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

It is my perception (probably felf as being wrong by most) that the past two generations have destroyed their hearing by subjecting their hearing sensors to extremely high sound levels. Therefore they now feel the need for excessive levels of sound when listening to "music". Therefore an expensive sound system that is true to the real music is not acceptable to their ears. If it doesn't meed their "needs", it is deemed as junk as far as they are concerned. They are free to do whatever they want to their cars sound systems, but are often mistaken in their criticism from pure ignorance. I, on the other hand, have reached an age where I have lost too much of my hearing to really enjoy good music in my car or any other venue. I realize that, but it is not the fault of my car's audio that I can't enjoy it as I would like. Increased volume does not solve my problem. It is unfortunate that the younger generations are on the path to join my condition at an early age.
Old 09-24-18, 11:10 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies.

So as as I thought, unless I'm willing to go all out, the best bet is still just replacing the surrounds.

So does anyone have a preferred vendor for surrounds? Can I just go to Simply Speakwrs?

Also, looking at the interior, it seems like getting at the tweeter that's also blown is going to cost more than buying a used Chevy. Is there an easy way to get at the tweeters?
Old 09-25-18, 05:03 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
Thanks for the replies.

So as as I thought, unless I'm willing to go all out, the best bet is still just replacing the surrounds.

So does anyone have a preferred vendor for surrounds? Can I just go to Simply Speakwrs?

Also, looking at the interior, it seems like getting at the tweeter that's also blown is going to cost more than buying a used Chevy. Is there an easy way to get at the tweeters?
Simply Speakers is the vendor I used with excellent results.

Regarding the tweeters, I would be surprised if they are actually blown. As a rule of thumb, the lower the sound frequency the speaker produces, the larger movement its voice cone makes. The tweeters are designed to reproduce the highest frequency range. They don't need a "surround" to aid in voice cone movement. I would start with repairing the subwoofer and the mid-bass speakers in the doors. Once done, you can then reevaluate the tweeter situation. I'm almost certain that they are fine.
Old 09-25-18, 07:17 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Awesome. Thank you for the insight. I hope what you say is true. I assume there is a thread here somewhere for the door panel removal. I’ll do a search for it. I know there are many for the sub removal.

Now to find the time to get this done.
Old 09-25-18, 07:17 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Someone here used these and was pretty pleased with the results...

Amazon Amazon

And IIRC, someone else had used these: https://www.performanceaudio.com/ite...r-8-ohm/32178/
Old 09-26-18, 06:51 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Both my front door speakers and subwoofer have completely failed foam surrounds. I ordered new foam surrounds on ebay and will replace mine when they come in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2004-L...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2004-L...72.m2749.l2649