LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Consensus on tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 10:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4dirty

Chinese tires are the ones you stay away from, Korean tires are good for your buck.
I have Chinese tires on my car. Rydanz Roadster 02's that came with the used vehicle. There's nothing wrong with them, been driving for 2 yrs. about 21k (the other miles are on the snows)
Old 09-20-18, 10:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls4dirty

I’ve always used kumho ecsta on my old car. Quiet ride, smooth, and good tire wear if you keep up with tire rotation. I did tire rotation every oil change/5000 miles. I also had 30k mike warranty
p.s. when I get hare brained schemes in my head, I stick to them. I took a set of Ecsta 4x's I think they were called, and I decided to not rotate them at all, on a FWD Maxima SE stick. The fronts were gone in 19k, totally gone, the rears had plenty of meat, I wanna say 8/32 in the same 19k. If I can, I will avoid FWD cars going forward....now with the BMW, it's the opposite. Rears down to 2/32, fronts were like at 6 but I put so many plugs in them I tossed...
Old 09-20-18, 05:26 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m around 4,000 miles into my Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06’s. A bit louder than the Dunlop 5000M’s that came on it, I have to say wet performance is much improved. I’ve had these in those 2” in 30 minute tropical downpours in Houston, without reservation at 80 mph. They don’t wonder at highway speeds, and don’t track the seams when changing lanes.

I have lost lost a few mpg in gas mileage, mostly in the around town trips. I was averaging close to twenty around town, now between 15-16. On the highway I’ve gone from 27 to 25. My second choice was the Michelin MXM4s. Great mileage tire, with good behavior on dry roads. When they are worn more than 2/3s, they are terrible on wet reads. Even my CT200h, spins the wheels quite easily. Gas mileage, with the greenx rating is their key attribute. I would have spent more in the cost premium of the tires, than I would have saved in gas cost over 30k.

There was was no way I was going to shell out that kind of cash for the Dunlap’s. Not changing was never a question.
Old 09-21-18, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidsofia
I’m around 4,000 miles into my Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06’s. A bit louder than the Dunlop 5000M’s that came on it, I have to say wet performance is much improved. I’ve had these in those 2” in 30 minute tropical downpours in Houston, without reservation at 80 mph. They don’t wonder at highway speeds, and don’t track the seams when changing lanes.

I have lost lost a few mpg in gas mileage, mostly in the around town trips. I was averaging close to twenty around town, now between 15-16. On the highway I’ve gone from 27 to 25. My second choice was the Michelin MXM4s. Great mileage tire, with good behavior on dry roads. When they are worn more than 2/3s, they are terrible on wet reads. Even my CT200h, spins the wheels quite easily. Gas mileage, with the greenx rating is their key attribute. I would have spent more in the cost premium of the tires, than I would have saved in gas cost over 30k.

There was was no way I was going to shell out that kind of cash for the Dunlap’s. Not changing was never a question.
Given the age of our vehicles, I think it would be foolish (ok nobody get offended please) to buy the SP dunlops that came with the vehicle. It is necessarily old technology. I still have my spare in the trunk that seems to have been used maybe once? Because the dots from the Dunlop SP are still on it, but there are tiny pebbles in the tread. Rim has grease markings from Japan.

My mom had the DWS on her Acura and blew out one of the tires prematurely. She subsequently tossed the other 3 (more like the techs kept them and resold), and ended up with some really tame energy saving Bridgestones. The interesting thing with many tire buyers, is they want it all. I want my hand to stick to the tire when I touch it, propel my car to 1.0g+, be good in snow, ok when the temp is -15F, and also get me 35 mpg. The reality of it all is there is "no" tire that does everything. Basically grippy tires are no good < 37F, they don't last as long, but the vehicle handles its best. All seasons in itself is a serious compromise. That's why there are summer, and winter, tires. But to be practical, many people use all seasons, including myself, despite having winter tires. Because the LS doesn't handle well anyway, I figure no need for summer tires. But I think the GS or IS did have summer only tires available at one time.
Old 09-22-18, 06:55 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have Premiers on my camry with 3/32 left and am always told they are shot. They still stick in the rain and are a great tire.
Old 09-22-18, 07:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

on 17's the comfortred assurance are 487 to yur door with rebate. Go to a 18 and they are alot more money. The Vrestedien quadtrac is rated highest in its class anyone above premiers and Pirella P7plus try these they are 160 bucks in an 18/. Tire Rack
Old 09-22-18, 02:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...cessories.html
Old 09-22-18, 02:20 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

oops anyone ran these
Old 09-24-18, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have Premiers on my camry with 3/32 left and am always told they are shot. They still stick in the rain and are a great tire.
That's encouraging. It still makes me wonder. I finally got a battery tester and a 10 mo. old battery is reading replace. It was consumer reports' #1 pick hahahaha

Here's the swindle and the ****. "IF" the battery never had the CCAs that is advertised, it's really not shot, meaning it did not degrade from new to replace in 10 mos. Actually I think that has been tested before too and proven. I think Michelin figured out that if they give you a 11/32 tire, and warrant for 60k, you can toss this tire at 60k with maybe 4-5/32 left. So why give you any extra? Let's start out at 8.5/32 and still warrant to 60k, only you will see bars on the tread at 60k. My conspiracy theory....
Old 09-26-18, 06:50 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
I've put the Michelin Defenders on 3 of my vehicles now. My '01 430, my '14 CX-5, and my '00 GMC 2500. They are awesome. Quiet, extremely long wearing, and good grip.
I got the same for my Lexus.
Old 09-26-18, 05:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Its a T plus H tire so a T but an H I think H covers T but they want to include everyone who wants OEM?
Old 10-03-18, 11:35 AM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

I just put Pirelli P Zero all season plus tires on my '05. Replaced some Falken tires with 25K miles on them that were on when I bought the car 9 months ago. These were top rated by CR and have great reviews for handling wet roads, common where I live. I don't have many miles on them yet but my initial impression is excellent traction and handling and very low noise.
Old 10-06-18, 05:01 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

Look bomber
Old 10-07-18, 05:21 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Agree - very happy with the Michelin Premiers on my LS. Mine are wearing pretty well and are very smooth and quiet. No other regular normal street tire comes even close to its wet braking performance when comparing worn not brand new tires. When my current set wear out a new set of Premiers (if still avail) is going right back on.
Old 10-07-18, 07:35 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never made a mistake buying Michelins. Defenders and LTX's

Quick Reply: Consensus on tires