LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Camber and Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 01:53 AM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber and Clearance

Hey, I own an 06 Ls430. So I’m going to be rebuilding my 3-piece wheels and I plan on running 20x10 and 20x12. My question is, how much camber is needed to clear an inch?

Right now now i have 19x9 and 19x10 and they’re perfectly flushed, lip to fender. So since I plan on making the outer lip larger, I expect it to poke out an extra inch in front and an extra 2 inches in the rear and I was just wondering how much camber I would need to clear that to make it flushed again.

I dont one want too much camber, the max I’m willing to have is -10.

My friend told me every -3 camber is an extra inch of clearance, but that guy says a lot of things.
Old 07-14-18, 06:10 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Each car is different there is almost 0 adjustability on most of the stock ls430 arms so you will need to buy after market. Also the camber is going to destroy your tires every 1500 miles something to think about.
Old 07-14-18, 05:09 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Each car is different there is almost 0 adjustability on most of the stock ls430 arms so you will need to buy after market. Also the camber is going to destroy your tires every 1500 miles something to think about.
Camber does not wear tires, incorrect toe does.

OP what is the offset if your current wheels and what is the final offset of the rebarrel wheels going to be?
Old 07-14-18, 07:51 PM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

I was planning on buying camber and control arms for this already. And as for the tires, I have thought about it already, i just don’t care 🤷🏻*♂️. But if it can last longer from toe adjustments that would be great too. Haha.
Old 07-14-18, 08:00 PM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Camber does not wear tires, incorrect toe does.

OP what is the offset if your current wheels and what is the final offset of the rebarrel wheels going to be?
So my wheel specs right now, 19x9 19x10 +28 offset. My front lip is 3.5 inches and the rear is 4 inches.
I, now, plan on rebuilding them to 20x10 +3 20x12 +28 to gain an extra two inch lip for both the front and rear.

But, maybe I’ll just be conservative and go with 20x10 20x11 +28 and just settle with an extra inch. But come on, imagine how aggressive it would be if i add two inches.

I understand it’s going to poke, but I want a larger lip.
Old 07-14-18, 08:12 PM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of where I’m at right now. I still want to go lower to cover that gap between my tire and fender ( you can really see this in the photo with the GX). Resizing to 20s should help with that as well as raise my car a bit so I’d scrape less. If I could, i would have gone lower already but my coils are already maxed out.

Last edited by 3LS; 07-14-18 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 08:29 PM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

By the way, PSA- If you plan on buying coils for your LS430, do not make the same mistake as I did by buying BC coils. They’re a bit bouncy but still tolerable, definitely not as smooth as stock.

My my biggest problem with BC coils is the fact that they don’t go very low. My rear is maxed out already and I’m definitely not satisfied with how high it’s still sitting.

To give you more context, I bought the extreme low versions and I feel lied to. This is partially because when I bought it, they give you a heads up before buying the “extreme low” version saying “WARNING, do not buy extreme low unless you plan on going very low” or something along those lines. I thought “perfect, I’m going to be low as ******.”

When i maxed out the rear i was pretty ticked off because my friend owns the Megan LPs for his GS300 and he’s laying frame and they only cost him 700. I paid 1000 and that was with a discount.

I contacted BC coils asking if this was really as low as it can go and if there was anyway i can make it go lower. I emailed them four times. They replied to my first email asking for pictures and ignored my next three asking for a reply. I’ve called but No one ever picks up. They’re customer service is horrible.

Oh and the ls430 bc coils do not come with the camber plate, i was hoping for it, but no. I’m not really mad about this though because they tell you from the gecko, some models do not come with it. I’m just letting you guys know is all.

Last edited by 3LS; 07-14-18 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 11:57 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3LS
By the way, PSA- If you plan on buying coils for your LS430, do not make the same mistake as I did by buying BC coils. They’re a bit bouncy but still tolerable, definitely not as smooth as stock.

My my biggest problem with BC coils is the fact that they don’t go very low. My rear is maxed out already and I’m definitely not satisfied with how high it’s still sitting.

To give you more context, I bought the extreme low versions and I feel lied to. This is partially because when I bought it, they give you a heads up before buying the “extreme low” version saying “WARNING, do not buy extreme low unless you plan on going very low” or something along those lines. I thought “perfect, I’m going to be low as ******.”

When i maxed out the rear i was pretty ticked off because my friend owns the Megan LPs for his GS300 and he’s laying frame and they only cost him 700. I paid 1000 and that was with a discount.

I contacted BC coils asking if this was really as low as it can go and if there was anyway i can make it go lower. I emailed them four times. They replied to my first email asking for pictures and ignored my next three asking for a reply. I’ve called but No one ever picks up. They’re customer service is horrible.

Oh and the ls430 bc coils do not come with the camber plate, i was hoping for it, but no. I’m not really mad about this though because they tell you from the gecko, some models do not come with it. I’m just letting you guys know is all.
I have bc's on my car and there fine no issues at all have you tried adjusting the dampening? also the ls430 does not have camber plates it has camber bolts. What spring kg did you go with also was the valving matched to the spring?
It sounds like air bags would give you the results you are looking for, maybe a option to look into?

You could shave the fenders and do bags that way you can get the desired look you want.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 07-15-18 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-15-18, 12:26 AM
3LS
Driver School Candidate

I have bc's on my car and there fine no issues at all have you tried adjusting the dampening? also the ls430 does not have camber plates it has camber bolts. What spring kg did you go with also was the valving matched to the spring?
It sounds like air bags would give you the results you are looking for, maybe a option to look into?
I have adjusted the dampening. I don’t remember how many ticks I’ve tuned each one, but I’ve tried a lot of combinations and a little bounce is the smoothest i can get it. What’s your dampening setting?

I have F 18k and R 16k spring rates. I got high spring rates because I was planning to be low, but things didn’t go as planned. What’s your spring rates? How low are you?

As for the valving to spring rates, I am clueless about that. I figured BC would match it for me based on my spring rates as there was no option for adjusting the shocks when I was buying it. Can you explain it for me?

Ive definitely looked at bags, specifically airrunners. But there’s a couple of reasons I shouldn’t get it (Don’t get me wrong, I WANT it, but it’s probably best I don’t). The first and biggest reason is the cost, it’s out of my budget at the moment. The second is because I want to ride low as well, and with bags it’s easier to bottom out. Lastly, my friend (the LS400 pictured above) has bags and told me he has run into a lot of problems and that it’s probably best for me to get coils because they’re more durable and much cheaper.

Im now in the market for new coils. I’m just sitting around waiting, looking for something like 326 powers. The LS400 friend that was on bags are now on broadway coils with about 40k and 25k spring rates and it’s smooooth. I’m also looking for high spring rates like his so my wheel doesn’t hit my fender as I drive and/or bottom out.

Last edited by 3LS; 07-15-18 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-15-18, 08:28 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3LS

I have adjusted the dampening. I don’t remember how many ticks I’ve tuned each one, but I’ve tried a lot of combinations and a little bounce is the smoothest i can get it. What’s your dampening setting?

I have F 18k and R 16k spring rates. I got high spring rates because I was planning to be low, but things didn’t go as planned. What’s your spring rates? How low are you?

As for the valving to spring rates, I am clueless about that. I figured BC would match it for me based on my spring rates as there was no option for adjusting the shocks when I was buying it. Can you explain it for me?

Ive definitely looked at bags, specifically airrunners. But there’s a couple of reasons I shouldn’t get it (Don’t get me wrong, I WANT it, but it’s probably best I don’t). The first and biggest reason is the cost, it’s out of my budget at the moment. The second is because I want to ride low as well, and with bags it’s easier to bottom out. Lastly, my friend (the LS400 pictured above) has bags and told me he has run into a lot of problems and that it’s probably best for me to get coils because they’re more durable and much cheaper.

Im now in the market for new coils. I’m just sitting around waiting, looking for something like 326 powers. The LS400 friend that was on bags are now on broadway coils with about 40k and 25k spring rates and it’s smooooth. I’m also looking for high spring rates like his so my wheel doesn’t hit my fender as I drive and/or bottom out.
I have 16k f 14k r they are bc's on swift springs. My dampening is 17 clicks starting from soft

Thats my car so you can get an idea of the wheel fender clearance as well as overall height.

The valving is nothing to worry about if you did a custom order which it sounds like you did they would have matched the valving so no worriess there.

Also no idea about the bags new it was a popular option thats about all I know about air bags lol.
Old 07-15-18, 05:05 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LS

So my wheel specs right now, 19x9 19x10 +28 offset. My front lip is 3.5 inches and the rear is 4 inches.
I, now, plan on rebuilding them to 20x10 +3 20x12 +28 to gain an extra two inch lip for both the front and rear.

But, maybe I’ll just be conservative and go with 20x10 20x11 +28 and just settle with an extra inch. But come on, imagine how aggressive it would be if i add two inches.

I understand it’s going to poke, but I want a larger lip.
Going from a 19x10 +28 to a 20x12 +28 will net you a 1" larger lip. If you want an extra 2" lip you need to make your offset smaller by 1" so a 20x12 +3 would actually give you 2" more lip. Not only are you going to push out the lip but your are also going larger diameter so you will lose more clearance than you think.
You will definitely have to get new control arms to add camber to fit but also shave the rear fenders. Pending tire size and how low you really set your ride height.

Old 07-15-18, 06:14 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LS

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ct-description

Parts Shop Max coilovers will get you where you want to be. My LS was the prototype for them and they were amazing before I switched to air suspension. They go as low as you want and you can order them up to 34kg. I believe they also offer "camber plates" even though they're not listed on their website. Usually the adjustable top hats are not necessary unless you have adjustable upper and lower arms. They also offer shortened knuckle service as well.
Old 09-22-22, 10:25 PM
OuiMyles
3rd Gear

I have 16k f 14k r they are bc's on swift springs. My dampening is 17 clicks starting from soft

Thats my car so you can get an idea of the wheel fender clearance as well as overall height.

The valving is nothing to worry about if you did a custom order which it sounds like you did they would have matched the valving so no worriess there.

Also no idea about the bags new it was a popular option thats about all I know about air bags lol.
Hey where did you get your wing ????