LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How effective are the cooled seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 05:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Call it what you want, but there is a reason that words have meanings.
no kidding. It comes from a sales pitch. On the forum we don't have to buy into these things, we can call a spade a spade. Sorry you actually believe it.

Funny thing, just for fun I looked up the current LS500 brochure. They're being honest now and calling it ventilated.

Last edited by aypues; 07-01-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 05:32 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's purely not ventilated, it actually is active cooling. Besides the fan itself that moves the air, there's a device that chills the air and extracts heat. It is weak, but technically cooled + ventilated.

Also for whatever it's worth, I tried doing a janky experiment by buying some duct tape and a 1 inch flexible plastic pipe. I taped up one end to the rear passenger footwell ducts and sealed it off and piped that into the filter of the cooled seat filter. It did make a difference but really wasn't worth the effort.

I might try it again and seal off both ends against the cabin to see if maybe that would make anymore difference.

Anyway I don't feel like the cooled seats for my example have been too worth it unless I wear gym shorts with mesh-like material. Barely notice it's effects otherwise.
Old 07-02-18, 05:32 PM
WindyCity1
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of subjective opinions in here - and that's great - but it's hard to refute empirical data. I ran a simple test tonight.

I put a thermocouple probe in the perforated leather , reaching into the air channel. I used an infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the leather seat. Ambient air temp was 77.
After 5 minutes with the A/c set on 72 and the seat switch full left (max cooling), the air blowing through the channel had dropped 12 degrees and the surface temp of the seat had dropped 10 degrees.

If I have time this weekend I'll try to put the thermocouple in the air duct for the seats and measure the before/after temps of the air passing over the peltier unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by WindyCity1:
fmalgapo (07-03-18), Mbodall (07-03-18)
Old 07-04-18, 07:16 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues

no kidding. It comes from a sales pitch. On the forum we don't have to buy into these things, we can call a spade a spade. Sorry you actually believe it.

Funny thing, just for fun I looked up the current LS500 brochure. They're being honest now and calling it ventilated.
As Trump would say, FAKE NEWS! If you look at the Lexus site you will find that they describe the current LS seats as being "heated and cooled".
Old 07-04-18, 08:59 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Tariffs set to go into effect friday is not fake news. I was looking at a new Touareg TDi with ventilated seats standard in 015 when done right it is a real nice feature! Anyone have a 460 any improvement? Thanks
Old 07-04-18, 09:16 AM
max6133
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my is350 2015..not very good when it’s really hot..90 plus..80’s you can feel it but takes quite a long time to start cooling you off.
Old 07-05-18, 03:58 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
As Trump would say, FAKE NEWS! If you look at the Lexus site you will find that they describe the current LS seats as being "heated and cooled".
Here, I looked it up for you. Lame comment. I'm sure their lawyers wouldn't let them make such an obviously false claim for fear of a class action lawsuit.

Old 07-05-18, 04:42 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aypues
Here, I looked it up for you. Lame comment. I'm sure their lawyers wouldn't let them make such an obviously false claim for fear of a class action lawsuit.

Read the web site. While all models are ventilated, not all models are cooled, that comes with specific models. You really have to read the whole thing, and not just picking what you want to hear. End of subject as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-05-18, 06:38 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a theory about the seats working for some and not for others. Could it be the product used on the seats is clogging the ventilation holes? I use a product made by Armour all called Leather Care Gel that I apply about 2 times a year. Smells nice and my seats show almost no wear at 136,000 miles but is it possible that it has caused my seat ventilation to be impaired. The seat heaters seem to work fine, but the cooling is almost gone. What do people that still have effective cooling use? anything? nothing? just an idea.
Old 07-05-18, 10:21 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
I have a theory about the seats working for some and not for others. Could it be the product used on the seats is clogging the ventilation holes? I use a product made by Armour all called Leather Care Gel that I apply about 2 times a year. Smells nice and my seats show almost no wear at 136,000 miles but is it possible that it has caused my seat ventilation to be impaired. The seat heaters seem to work fine, but the cooling is almost gone. What do people that still have effective cooling use? anything? nothing? just an idea.
I think you are probably correct in the ventilation holes becoming clogged. The air comes in at the front floor of the seat and has to make its way past the filter into the cooler, then through the seat padding, and finally thru the perforated holes in the leather. After years of use it is probably highly likely that dirty air has become inbedded in the foam padding which has also become compressed and presents a difficult path for the cooled air to flow through. Likewise, the seat padding may have dust, dirt, etc, which is pushed down through the perforations every time someone sits down in the seat. The variation people see, could be from differences in filter maintenance, dirty clothes caused by different occupations, and seat maintenance.

Perhaps someone who has had their foam padding replaced and have seen the old padding could provide some insight into this possibility.

Regarding the seat heaters performance, I'm not sure, but I think the heat does not come from hot air flowing thru the seat, but rather from heating elements.

In conclusion, I think your theory has merit.
Old 07-06-18, 08:13 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel that mine works fine, but again I never own a car with cooled seat, so I do not know what is working great vs no so great. I am not sure how much air need to get pushed out of these holes for one to consider the cooling works great.

Having said that, I think it is a combination of these that cause a reduced in performance:
- Clogged/dirty holes in the leather. Mine looks fine from the outside
- Foam padding is not retaining its original shape, and restrict air being pushed from the fan. I can feel that the foam padding in my driver side is not as supportive as in passenger side. I may consider replacing the padding in the future and see if that change the cooling performance.
- Dirty filter - mine was dirty on both sides.
- Fan is not operating at its full capacity due to dirt/dust or just being old.
Old 07-06-18, 08:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We might be overthinking....isn't it really obvious, that the heated seats work? Meaning, given enough time (again I think more than the other 3 cars we have), the seats will become uncomfortably warm? But, at least for some of us, the seats when the **** is turned the other way, there is no noticeable effect? I guess we have to be very careful and stay politically correct, nowadays. lol I learned that from the cabin air filter discussion
Old 07-06-18, 12:09 PM
Nyaa
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on what I am reading, something is wrong with my cooled seats. I haven't really checked the back but in front, they don't feel very effective. I've been having 70-95F days here for the last couple of weeks so they and the air have been on constantly. The air is ice cold even when the weather is approaching 100 but not my driver seat. When I first sit down, I can feel a slight chill but after ten or so minutes, if I put my hand on the back and bottom, I feel my body heat. If I hover my hand slightly over the tiny holes, I can feel a little cool air coming out but not much. The air coming out on the passenger side seems cooler but still not impressive by any means. The heated seats work excellent though.

So it looks like a smorgasbord of things could be wrong. I'll try checking the filters and the fans first, alone with cleaning everything out the best I can. Those seem to be the first places to start.
Old 07-06-18, 12:20 PM
fmalgapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyaa
Based on what I am reading, something is wrong with my cooled seats. I haven't really checked the back but in front, they don't feel very effective. I've been having 70-95F days here for the last couple of weeks so they and the air have been on constantly. The air is ice cold even when the weather is approaching 100 but not my driver seat. When I first sit down, I can feel a slight chill but after ten or so minutes, if I put my hand on the back and bottom, I feel my body heat. If I hover my hand slightly over the tiny holes, I can feel a little cool air coming out but not much. The air coming out on the passenger side seems cooler but still not impressive by any means. The heated seats work excellent though.

So it looks like a smorgasbord of things could be wrong. I'll try checking the filters and the fans first, alone with cleaning everything out the best I can. Those seem to be the first places to start.
I'll add to this that with my driver seat cooling on full cool setting, there is an audible sound that sort of sounds like a faint gurgle...I'd like to check the fan myself. Is there a way to inspection the fan that cools the seats without extensive seat disassembly?

I have checked and vacuum the seat filters already.
Old 07-07-18, 02:22 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
I'll add to this that with my driver seat cooling on full cool setting, there is an audible sound that sort of sounds like a faint gurgle...I'd like to check the fan myself. Is there a way to inspection the fan that cools the seats without extensive seat disassembly?

I have checked and vacuum the seat filters already.
It sounds like you may have a partial blockage of your fan. I can very much hear my cooled seats when they’re on high and I’m sitting still, but it just sounds like a fan running and nothing like a gurgle.

Quick Reply: How effective are the cooled seats?