LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

65 Y/O Retired Lexus owner. 2004 LS 430 has a humming sound coming from rear of vehi

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 08:17 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdembeck
TY for the quick reply....It is only when on the road.....The highway drive is louder than on the normal roads. When I let of the gas, it gets quieter. But when the car is moving, it hums.
This points to when there is a "load" something gets louder. And gets louder as the speed increases. How are your fluids (tranny, power steering, oil)? All top-off, in good shape? I know you mentioned the hum is at the rear of the car, but can it be coming from the front? The engine compartment has multiple covers that dampen all kind of noise, so it may make it sounds like coming from the rear.

I am thinking transmission whine, like what Johnhav430 mentioned. Maybe small leak, and now there is not enough fluid? PW also can make noise if fluid is never changed.
Old 06-25-18, 09:28 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Suggest find an indie that specializes in Lexus.
Can you post a video so we can hear the sound?
Early production 04 transmissions were defective but it was just a parking pawl. All replaced by Lexus.
Old 06-25-18, 09:45 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Something else to consider would be the differential. Granted these diffs are bulletproof, but the OP could have the 1 car that had a faulty rear differential. The Synthetic fluid will quiet down a noisy differential for a while, but it could come back. Also, the diff would be subject to load bearing noise, so accelerating would cause a louder noise and decelerating would quiet it down momentarily.

Just another thing to consider, but highly unlikely..
Old 06-25-18, 02:20 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I would replace both rear wheel hubs/bearings.

A rear wheel hub/bearing going out can really make some noise that travels throughout the car.
Old 06-25-18, 06:09 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

65 Y/O Retired Lexus owner. 2004 LS 430 has a humming sound coming from rear of vehicle. My long time mechanic changed all 4 tires, replaced the R/R hub assembly, brakes all around, and finally had the rear end grease changed to synthetic....IT IS STILL HUMMING???? He is frustrated, I am out $2500, and the damn sound is still there???? I am begging for some help. Just turned 100K, and the car is beautiful, still. If u might have a suggestion, email me at dgdembeck@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Daryl
Center bearing or universal joint (driveshaft)?
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (06-25-18)
Old 06-25-18, 09:30 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

See the topic "Price to change front LS430 bearing". Go to recent posts. Plenty of good info on bearing noise (F&R).
Old 06-26-18, 04:16 AM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a bad pinion bearing on my old 1965 Mercury and it made this sound. Couldn't hear it until the car got to 30 mph or so, then it was loud (zero sound insulation anywhere in the car, it was being restored).

The mechanic hopefully already checked, but he can push upward on the pinion (where driveshaft meets the differential) to see if it is loose. The one on my Merc moved quite freely when I pushed up on it.
Old 06-26-18, 06:09 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Thecar
I had a bad pinion bearing on my old 1965 Mercury and it made this sound. Couldn't hear it until the car got to 30 mph or so, then it was loud (zero sound insulation anywhere in the car, it was being restored).

The mechanic hopefully already checked, but he can push upward on the pinion (where driveshaft meets the differential) to see if it is loose. The one on my Merc moved quite freely when I pushed up on it.
A pinion whine can be noticeable at highway speeds (50-60) when accelerating and/or foot is on gas pedal. If taking foot off gas pedal eliminates rear whine the pinion gear would be suspect. Although not recommended putting shift lever into neutral would also eliminate the pinion gear if the whine is gone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
dgdembeck (07-02-18)
Old 06-26-18, 09:40 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip

A pinion whine can be noticeable at highway speeds (50-60) when accelerating and/or foot is on gas pedal. If taking foot off gas pedal eliminates rear whine the pinion gear would be suspect. Although not recommended putting shift lever into neutral would also eliminate the pinion gear if the whine is gone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
So maybe the 04 "mystery whine" at 70-80 might be minor pinion alignment? Doesn't a worn trans mount lets the trans sit slightly lower?
Old 06-26-18, 11:04 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

The transmission does sag when the mount is shot which puts stress on the drive train.
Old 06-27-18, 01:23 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

65 Y/O Retired Lexus owner. 2004 LS 430 has a humming sound coming from rear of vehicle. My long time mechanic changed all 4 tires, replaced the R/R hub assembly, brakes all around, and finally had the rear end grease changed to synthetic....IT IS STILL HUMMING???? He is frustrated, I am out $2500, and the damn sound is still there???? I am begging for some help. Just turned 100K, and the car is beautiful, still. If u might have a suggestion, email me at dgdembeck@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Daryl

Why continue to speculate?

Simply take your vehicle to a Lexus dealer and pay them for a 1/2 hour - 1 hour of time for diagnosis.

When they sort out problem ask they show you problem.area while on lift.
dgdembeck (07-02-18)
Old 06-27-18, 05:24 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Why continue to speculate?

Simply take your vehicle to a Lexus dealer and pay them for a 1/2 hour - 1 hour of time for diagnosis.

When they sort out problem ask they show you problem.area while on lift.
I agree. Sometimes trying to save money by doing it yourself can be more expensive than the dealer.
dgdembeck (07-02-18)
Old 06-27-18, 10:25 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Agree. Or a good indie that specializes in Lexus and can do the work. @dgdembeck where in FL are you located? Maybe someone in here has some recommends.
Old 07-02-18, 05:44 AM
dgdembeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobe Sound, Fla 33455

Thanks to all of you......Wonderful response from those that be. Changing the left hub assemble today...... Crossing fingers. If still humming, I will go to a Lexus dealer, at least for possible diagnosis.
Old 09-16-18, 10:38 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Any luck w/ the hub change? My car is dead quiet for the first 5 miles on the freeway. No 70-80 whine. Nothing. Then the faint metallic whine starts. Noticeably louder when I slow down. Gone under 70. Today it lasted the whole 30 miles I drove. Stopped for a couple of hours. Drove home. Noise started immediately.

Quick Reply: 65 Y/O Retired Lexus owner. 2004 LS 430 has a humming sound coming from rear of vehi