LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for my 1st Lexus 430...what year models are best?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 08:45 AM
ReggieT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I certainly appreciate that info!
I'll pass on all that extra work and dough.
I heard precisely what I needed to hear to keep me set on my original plan.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-14-18, 10:02 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The most reliable LS430s, in my opinion, are the 2001-2003 models that are NOT the Ultra Luxury trim, meaning they do NOT have navigation, air suspension, rear air conditioning, or difficult/impossible-to-repair LED taillights. The 16" tire option will absorb impacts and be less jarring to the suspension and everything else in the car than 17" or 18" tires, which should extend the life of any components susceptible to vibrations/shocks. The added complexities of these systems introduces additional potential points of failure, and can result in expensive repairs. However, you may want to factor in enjoyment of the vehicle - I enjoy the ML system, semi-aniline leather, double-paned glass, nav system, adjustable height suspension, and the rear cooler very often.

My 2002 Canadian-spec LS430 Ultra Luxury is 16 years old with 156,000 km (97,000 mi), and I am the second owner, 9 years and counting. My most expensive repair was $1500 CAD (~$1150 USD), for parts and 7 hours of Lexus labor to repair a corroded high pressure line going to the rear evaporator (although someone here posted a DIY here, this repair requires a slightly higher skill level and more equipment than a regular Joe would have). There have never been any problems with the air suspension or nav system in the past 16 years. My rear tailight bulb (00234-00192) cost me $1.58 CAD after tax, at dealership prices. Other people here have spent $300+ to replace the 2004-2006 entire rear LED taillamp assembly since individual bulbs are not meant to be replaceable.

If you live in a snowy area and want to have some fun getting the car sideways, you'll want a 2001-2002 model with the "VSC off" button. In 2003, they changed it to "TRAC off" (launch/acceleration control) and eliminated the easy way to disable VSC (sideways sliding control).

For all LS430s driven in winter or near the ocean, remove the heatshields on your Y-pipe as soon as you get the car! I would bet 100% of LS430s driven for 10+ years in salty conditions will develop a cracked Y-pipe, necessitating a $300-800 (CAD) Y-pipe repair/replacement. The heat shields collect salt water, burn it off, and leave salt residue clamped directly against the Y-pipe, which accelerates corrosion, and a very small hairline crack will give you a catalyst efficiency error code P0420 (left of the Y) or P0430 (right of the Y). The problem is almost never the catalyst. Another preventative measure is rust-proofing the upper and lower chrome trim on each door, including the clip holes behind the trim - these are common points of failure and the rust will happen sooner or later, and it will cost $500-1500 to replace the door skin. Thorough wax rustproofing from the factory would have prevented this from ever happening.

All other common points of failure on the LS430 are discussed thoroughly on these forums, and since Lexus designed the LS430 to be easily repairable and maintainable, you can DIY pretty much everything else that commonly goes wrong with these cars. It is incredible how easy it is to do your own maintenance on these cars. You will never have to take the LS430 to a shop to change brake pads, brake rotors, cabin air filters, engine air filters, oil changes, coolant changes, transmission fluid changes, wiper blades, light bulbs, headlamps, accessory drive belt, hood/trunk lifts, etc. All of these things are very easy to DIY. The foam surrounds of the speakers eventually disintegrate over time, including the ML system - install new speaker foam surrounds from SimplySpeakers for $20 instead of paying a ton for a new speaker. It is not difficult to take apart the doors, rear seat, and rear tray.

Rear differential fluid and O2 sensors will likely require a shop because the parts you need to remove will likely be seized, and you'll need more safety than a scissor jack can give you when trying to break these parts free. I couldn't undo my rear diff bolts from being underneath the car, not enough leverage. A proper full flush of brake fluid (meaning using the multiple steps in Techstream to flush the ABS/TRAC actuator) is enough of a hassle to pay the dealership to do, but if you skip the actuator flush, brake fluid flush is the same as any other car (2 person technique or use a pressurized bleeder e.g. Motive). TechStream Lite/clone is $15-30 USD on eBay and can be very helpful for advanced diagnostics.

2004-2006 LS430s have been known to have problems with the AFS sensor (for the sideways swivelling headlights) and PCS (millimeter-wave cruise control system, whereas 2001-2003 uses laser radar aka LIDAR that is very reliable unless a highway rock happens to hit exactly where the plexiglass is at a very high speed). Early 2004 models had recalls relating to the transmission and fuel filler pipe, both were recalls and Lexus fixes those for free. Check the list of non-recall TSBs for each year to get an idea of the common complaints that Lexus had to address.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 06-14-18 at 12:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StanVanDam:
dpavlenko (01-03-20), ReggieT (07-30-18)
Old 06-14-18, 12:15 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
The most reliable LS430s, in my opinion, are the 2001-2003 models that are NOT the Ultra Luxury trim, meaning they do NOT have navigation, air suspension, rear air conditioning, or difficult/impossible-to-repair LED taillights.
You made some valid points in your post, but having owned a both 2001 and a 2004, I have to disagree on a few things, and point out a few other things. First, yes the LED taillights in 2004-2006 models are not as simple to repair as the incandescent bulbs in 2001-2003, but LEDs by nature don't usually need replacing/repair like incandescent bulbs do. Chances of having to replace an incandescent bulb? Almost guaranteed if you own the car for more than a few years. Chances of having to repair/replace LEDs? Basically the opposite.

The 16" tire option will absorb impacts and be less jarring to the suspension and everything else in the car than 17" or 18" tires, which should extend the life of any components susceptible to vibrations/shocks.
The only suspension components that commonly wear out on these cars would be the bushings... and that's because they're rubber and time is their enemy. They're not drying out and cracking because of the slightly higher vibrations from having 17" or even 18" wheels. The struts and springs on these cars have been known to be replaced by members at 200,000+ miles just because they thought they had to be worn out after so many miles, only to find out the car rides exactly the same after replacing them. As for components other than suspension wearing out from vibration, especially due to having a 17" or 18" wheel... there aren't any.

If you live in a snowy area and want to have some fun getting the car sideways, you'll want a 2001-2002 model with the "VSC off" button. In 2003, they changed it to "TRAC off" (launch/acceleration control) and eliminated the easy way to disable VSC (sideways sliding control).
Sure, pushing a button to do your impression of Ken Block is easy, but pulling a fuse is barely more difficult in 2004-2006 models to accomplish the same sideways fun

2004-2006 LS430s often have problems with the AFS sensor (for the sideways swivelling headlights)
There might be a few people that have had trouble with AFS, but it's by no means even slightly common. Characterizing this as "often" a problem is disingenuous.

and PCS (millimeter-wave cruise control system, whereas 2001-2003 uses laser radar aka LIDAR that is very reliable unless a highway rock happens to hit exactly where the plexiglass is at a very high speed)
First of all, in 2004-2006 models the PCS system was only available on UL models and a handful of extremely rare Custom Luxury models, which Reggie said he would likely be avoiding ULs due to the air suspension, thus a moot point. Second of all, the millimeter-wave of the radar system is superior to the laser system in that it doesn't get 'confused' by rain/other adverse weather and disable cruise control completely. Third, since he's looking to avoid the UL models/air suspension, as I stated above the only other package that included adaptive cruise is the Custom Luxury which is one of the rarer packages, and most CL packages did not include PCS and came with laser cruise anyway.

and early 2004 models had problems with the transmission and fuel filler pipe, both have repair procedures under official Lexus Technical Service Bulletins.
The transmission problem, while serious, related to a faulty parking pawl and could potentially cause a vehicle to roll away when in park, but was recalled in July of 2004. It's very unlikely that he would find a car assembled within the first couple of months of production within a 36 month production run, and highly unlikely that he would find one that hadn't already had the recall service completed 14 years afterwards. Even if he did find one of these cars, he could verify the recall service by calling up any Lexus dealership in the country and get it done for free if somehow that car slipped through the cracks.

The only other "problem" the early 2004 transmissions had is some that would experience slightly 'jerky' shifts at low speeds. My car is one of these early 2004 models and I can assure you that most people wouldn't even notice this, and is a very minor occasional 'inconvenience'... and even that's a vast overstatement. However, I'm a nitpicky b*stard and require perfection in my automobiles, so I opted to pay the $180 to have the dealership perform the "TSIB TC006-04 ECM Calibration: Shifting Enhancement". After the recalibration, the car shifts as smooth as silk, every time.

And lastly, the fuel filler pipe affects so few vehicles, and makes the fuel nozzle click off sometimes when you're trying to fill the tank at full pump speed. This can be remedied easily and for free by rotating the nozzle 180° when fueling if you don't want to pay the small amount of money to have it fixed. Again, my car is one of the early 2004 models and I've never had that problem.

Last edited by Mbodall; 06-14-18 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ReggieT (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 12:43 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Mbodall: I agree with your feedback - it's not "common" for AFS or PCS errors to occur, I should have prefaced that with "relatively". Since LIDAR system errors are practically unheard of, AFS and PCS errors are significantly more common in comparison, since several people come on here asking about AFS and PCS errors every few months, whereas I don't recall seeing anyone ever asking about any LIDAR sensor errors. It also makes me think the non-DIY types would just pay the dealership to take care of it instead of asking about it on these forums.

Regarding the incandescent bulbs of the 2001-2003, I never had to change any bulbs until the car was 12-14 years old - several bulbs went out around the 12 year mark, and were dirt cheap ($1-3) to replace. I can live with spending $10 in bulbs every 12 years.

2004-2006 didn't come with 16" wheels as a factory option, whereas 2001-2003 did - if you want a plush ride, get a 2001-2003 with 16s. If you want a sporty, bumpier, firmer ride with better road grip, get a 2004-2006 with 18s. In terms of reliability, if you drive on salted roads in the winter, note that the 17" shiny chrome wheels are prone to pitting on the inside bead, causing relatively rapid air loss, ~3-4psi/month, fixable by any tire shop who will take the time to sand off the corrosion and apply bead sealant. If you drive through a lot of salty slushy roads, I recommend getting the non-plated alloys.

2001-2003 have the 5 speed user-serviceable transmission, which is easier than changing the oil and almost as easy as changing wiper fluid - undo a bolt without lifting the car, redo the bolt, add exactly what came out via the dipstick pipe (1.8-2L), and you're done - repeat every 8000 km to get new fluid all up in there (dry fill is 8.9L). 2004-2006 has the 6 speed "lifetime" fluid which is not as easy to change, but DIY instructions exist here.

In addition to looking at recall TSBs, you can also look at general TSBs for each year, which unlike recalls, Lexus is not obligated to fix. This can give you an idea of which years have more problems.

No matter what the year of LS430, they are all highly reliable and low maintenance, and majority of items are easily DIY. I was just brainstorming things to consider relating to the original question of which years were "LESS maintenance", which I interpret as lowest possible repair expenditures over a 16-20 year vehicle life comparing the various years. As I've already mentioned, these maintenance and reliability factors should also consider the user enjoyment factor - PCS is definitely way more versatile than LIDAR because LIDAR doesn't work in snow or rain or even when the sensor is covered with normal road grime. I would not hesitate on a well-maintained LS430 of any year.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 06-14-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 01:35 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

2004-2006 didn't come with 16" wheels as a factory option, whereas 2001-2003 did. In terms of reliability, the 17" shiny chrome wheels are prone to pitting on the inside bead, causing relatively rapid air loss, ~3-4psi/month, fixable by any tire shop who will take the time to sand off the corrosion and apply bead sealant. Don't get a vehicle with the shiny chromes unless you want to be topping up your air every 3-4 weeks.
No argument here for most everything you just said. For the sake of a complete understand from anyone reading this that doesn't already know, I just want to point out that the 17" wheels - optional on 2001-2003 models and standard on 2004-2006 models came in more finishes than just chrome. I also would like it to be known that my 2001 with the 17" chrome wheels didn't have any air leak issues when I sold it a little over 3 years ago with over 180k miles. Granted that obviously doesn't mean that I was the rule, but also not the exception.

I, however, would argue that the benefits that come with the 18" wheels on all 2004-2006 with sport suspension - and optional on all other models - outweigh the slightly more noticeable feedback from the road (which some, myself included view as strictly a good thing). Those 18" wheels also come wrapped in wider tires... 245/45/18s vs the 225/55/17s or 225/60/16s (16" rims found only on 2001-2003 models) found on the other models. I'd much rather have a wider tire and thus, more traction for panic braking and other emergency maneuvers like swerving, than to have a more narrow and less grippy tire that rides a little smoother... but that's just my personal opinion *shrug*
ReggieT (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 01:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
No argument here for most everything you just said. For the sake of a complete understand from anyone reading this that doesn't already know, I just want to point out that the 17" wheels - optional on 2001-2003 models and standard on 2004-2006 models came in more finishes than just chrome. I also would like it to be known that my 2001 with the 17" chrome wheels didn't have any air leak issues when I sold it a little over 3 years ago with over 180k miles. Granted that obviously doesn't mean that I was the rule, but also not the exception.

I, however, would argue that the benefits that come with the 18" wheels on all 2004-2006 with sport suspension - and optional on all other models - outweigh the slightly more noticeable feedback from the road (which some, myself included view as strictly a good thing). Those 18" wheels also come wrapped in wider tires... 245/45/18s vs the 225/55/17s or 225/60/16s (16" rims found only on 2001-2003 models) found on the other models. I'd much rather have a wider tire and thus, more traction for panic braking and other emergency maneuvers like swerving, than to have a more narrow and less grippy tire that rides a little smoother... but that's just my personal opinion *shrug*
Personally, I feel that the 17s are the best compromise for ride, comfort, noise and handling for the LS430. 18s are somewhat firm and could be noisier. Yes the rims look nice with the 18s but there is the tradeoff. Form versus function.
ReggieT (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 02:43 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Personally, I feel that the 17s are the best compromise for ride, comfort, noise and handling for the LS430. 18s are somewhat firm and could be noisier. Yes the rims look nice with the 18s but there is the tradeoff. Form versus function.
I hear ya. The 17s are the same width as the 16s though, so traction is going to be the same for both of them. The only difference is going to be in initial turn-in due to the slightly different amount of sidewall flex. The ever-so slightly shorter and stiffer sidewall of the 225/55/17 will be *just barely* more responsive than the 225/60/16s. I suppose you could always throw a set of 245/50/17s on the 17" wheels and have both the wider, grippier tire as well as roughly the same amount of sizewall to absorb bumps/vibration/noise, and your speedometer wouldn't need to be recalibrated either.
ReggieT (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 06:55 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ReggieT
Hey guys,

Reggie T here from Birmingham, AL. I have always been a huge Toyota fan, having owned numerous Camry's, an Avalon, and a Tundra. Quality & Dependability men a lot to me.
I am looking for extra low miled LS 430's cash deal or even a 2007-2008 LS 460 L if the miles & price are decent.
Probably $10K max on the LS 430 or under $20K for LS 460 L and finance some.

I like the posts I've read concerning the LS 430's reputation for comfort, quietness, and reliability, yet the LS 460's looks and the lack of timing belt changes are appealing as well.
My biggest question is with the LS 430's, what years were better, less maintenance and so forth and what should I be looking for when investigating these cars? Are the LS 430's that much more car than loaded Avalons?
Is $800-1500 average for the 90K service?
This is unchartered waters for me!

Thanks,
Reg
Ive only heard great things about the 2001-2006 LS430s,now the 2007 LS460L,I've test drove this vehicle, POWERFUL,SMOOTH and COMFORTABLE,but the biggest concerns about this vehicle is the FLAWED BRAKE ACTUATORS AND PUMP,and LEXUS knows there FLAWED but for some unknown reason they won't do a MAJOR RECALL anyway you'll definitely wanna read up on the faulty BRAKE ACTUATORS AND PUMP for the 2007 and above LS460(L)
ReggieT (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 08:20 PM
ReggieT
Driver School Candidate

As the "Law of Averages" would have it...I am now overrun with calls/emails from sellers with low mile LS430 Premium cars!!
AAARRGGGH!
Do the premium cars have much higher propensity for snafu's, higher maintenance, curses...etc LOL
Just looked @ 2006 LS430 Premium, 59K, ultra clean, 1-owner, books/records of service at the local Lexus Dealer...$10,500!
Trying to operate in patience...trying.
I really appreciate the help, advice, and technical background info guys...it's invaluable.
I'm way ahead of the game...because of you studs!!
Reg
Old 06-14-18, 08:34 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

As the "Law of Averages" would have it...I am now overrun with calls/emails from sellers with low mile LS430 Premium cars!!
AAARRGGGH!
Do the premium cars have much higher propensity for snafu's, higher maintenance, curses...etc LOL
Just looked @ 2006 LS430 Premium, 59K, ultra clean, 1-owner, books/records of service at the local Lexus Dealer...$10,500!
I really appreciate the help, advice, and technical background info guys...it's invaluable.
Reg
Price sounds too low to me Reg. Wonder if that car has any accidents in it's past???
Old 06-14-18, 09:02 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Are you asking about this because you're considering buying a UL with air suspension and converting it? If so, is it because you have your eye on one that everything else is right with it other than being a UL? Or is it because ULs have other options that you desire that can't be found on other non-UL models (I can't imagine what... headlight washers?? haha) and you'd rather fuss with swapping the air suspension to coils to have those other options?

From a quick search here, it appears that Arnott only makes replacements for the front (as of 6 months ago), and they're still $600 each. Also, the Arnott struts aren't adjustable height nor variable damping (firmness). Here is a quote from an email that one of our members received from Arnott:

As for the Strutmasters, I just read about another member that replaced with these and said that his car sits about 2" higher vs OEM ride height. Idk about you, but I think the standard suspension models sit a little too high as it is and much prefer the low-slung look of the sport suspension's slightly lower ride height. I can't imagine how silly sitting 2" higher than standard suspension ride height would look like (I assume the standard suspension and air suspension ride height inn normal mode are basically the same).

And regardless of whether you swap for different air suspension or coilovers, it's going to be a major undertaking to change them, especially in the rear. I just read that you have to take the back seat out and rear deck lid... basically completely tear the back end of your car out to change them. So either you're going to have a hell of a lot of work for yourself, or you're going to pay a boatload of money to have someone else do the excessive amount of labor.
I have a 01 UL with all the bells and whistles (but no navi). The PO had the two rear airstruts replaced at 80k miles and the right front at 116k miles. I bought the car with 118k miles. Had no idea about airsuspension. Drove the car from out of province home (800 miles) and did not like the roadholding compared to my old 735i. It was, like someone said, mushy. I replaced the airsuspension, although still perfect in itself, with a Bilstein coilover. It is now planted the car as it should. Lowered it about 1.5 inches with a very slight negative camber The Bilstein is made specifically for the LS430. Cost ca 1100 from THMotorsport. Installation was done locally, labor was 5 hrs. I am very satisfied how the car rides. Everything is tight and rattlefree. I could have lowered the car even further but left enough space between tire and fender in order to clean out the wheelwells..
The car was a one owner car with full records. In order to get it registered in another province you have to get an approved mechanical inspection.. It passed all 95 inspection points. Later, during a wheelalignement the mechanic discovered 2 pinholes in the a/c line to the rear. The local Lexus dealer wanted about 500 for the line and about 1200 for labor. I passed on that and instead had the line to the rear a/c capped off. The cabin still gets conditioned air but misses the cooled seats in the rear and the a/c vent above the rear doors. (so what). The biggest expense so far was a faulty a/c compressor (still not sure if the indie monkeyed with the system when they capped the line). Replaced the front brake pads with Akebono Ceramics and that is it. Other things I did were more cosmetic and had nothing to do with the original maintenance. Got some 17" Lumaraii wheels, stainless steel brakelines, sport rearswaybar, emblemfree front grill.For oil I use Amsoil Signature 5-30 with a Mahle filter, change once a year but not longer than 10k miles
Will definitely keep my Garmin with Lifetime upgrades, maybe a double din blutooth unit.
Old 06-15-18, 02:59 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

AAARRGGGH!
Reg
Premium models are well regarded because they lack 2 things that can be problematic: the ML stereo and the navigation system. That said, $10,500 for a nice, low mileage 2006 at a Lexus dealer sounds almost too good to be true as such a car typically would be listed at $3000 to $5000 higher. If you like it, don't hesitate.
Old 06-15-18, 03:09 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

AAARRGGGH!
Reg
I have to agree with Gronemus. That all sounds a little too good to be true and seriously makes we question why it's so cheap.

Also, the premium package is one step (some might argue 1/2 step) up from the base model. To make sure you know what exactly you're getting - or missing out on - in different packages, here's a quote from a magazine review of the LS430:

The Premium Package ($1,390) adds climate-controlled front seats with fans that circulate heated or chilled air, heated rear seats, and sonar-based Intuitive Parking Assist.

The Modern Luxury Package ($4,980) bundles a Mark Levinson audio system, navigation system, reversing camera, Bluetooth communications technology, climate controlled front seats, heated rear seats, and Intuitive Parking Assist.

The Custom Luxury Selection ($5,935) includes the Mark Levinson audio, navigation system, rear backup camera, Bluetooth, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Intuitive Parking Assist, climate-controlled front seats, rear seat heaters, headlamp washers, and power door closers.

The Ultra Luxury Selection ($11,320) features all that plus Adaptive Variable Air Suspension, SmartAccess keyless entry and ignition, and a number of amenities for rear seat passengers, including: sunshades for the rear passenger doors, a rear-seat adjuster with memory, climate-controlled rear seats with a massage feature, and a rear air conditioner with optical deodorizer. The Custom Luxury and Ultra Luxury packages can be paired with the Pre-Collision Safety System, in which case Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is substituted for the laser system.The Sport Package ($220) combines a handling-tuned suspension with 18-inch wheels and summer tires. The same package with chromed wheels costs a bit more ($1,920).
My biggest gripe with the Premium package is that you don't get the ML stereo, NAV, or backup camera. If you don't care about those things, then Premium might be for you. As for snafu's with the Premium, no. Since it's just above the base, there aren't a whole lot of extras to potentially go wrong.

In my opinion, the most desirable packages ordered from most desired to least desired are as follows: Modern Luxury, Custom Luxury, Premuim, then Ultra (Ultra only listed at the end because of the air suspension). Note that the Sport package was available on all packages except Custom Luxury and Ultra Luxury. I believe SmartAccess (smart key) came included in some packages by default, and was available to be added in the ones that didn't include it by default.
ReggieT (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 01:09 PM
ReggieT
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps, I'm a tad confused.
So the the Ultra Luxury Selection is the only LS430 that has "Adaptive Variable Air Suspension?"
BTW...do all of the LS460's have the Adaptive Variable Air Suspension?
Seeing some decent deals on the 2008-2010 models of them...

Last edited by ReggieT; 06-15-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 01:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again I can chime in with real world experience having bought a used 2006 with 81k, back in 10/16. I have had ZERO problems in that time span, with one exception. The two left front corner park assist sensors seem to have gone bad. I have bought eBay white knock offs and plan to put them in at some point, as the corners can be done without removing the bumper.

And, my driver door actuator was broken upon delivery (selling dealer took care of it), so this is likely to be an issue if not already addressed. I am not certain what advantage a 01-03 might have over an 06, but I like the 06....since all 3rd gens are now pretty old, my search would be limited to 06 (I want the most recent year of production, just me, preference)
ReggieT (06-15-18)

Quick Reply: Looking for my 1st Lexus 430...what year models are best?