LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine Compartment - Cover Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 11:06 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine Compartment - Cover Fasteners

I used Dorman 961-045 and they fit perfectly: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-8818-961-045.aspx

The Dorman package contains (3) large-diameter that fit engine covers and (3) small-diameter that fit light access covers and other panels that require smaller head diameter.

Pep Boys has them in stock at the location near me...

I also found these while searching around: https://www.buyautosupply.com/produc...exus-trim-clip
Old 05-30-18, 11:22 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I have not checked, but Lowes has an automotive section in their hardware aisle...and they might be there also. I have bought other sizes there also.
Thanks for the part number!! They can be found on Amazon as well.
Old 05-30-18, 11:45 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

I did check a large local hardware store I use for fasteners for my motorcycle projects but they had nothing like this in stock.

The next time I am at Lowes I will check there as well. Since you're a bike owner... 1986 Yamaha SRX600...

The following users liked this post:
Legender (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:09 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

You can Google or eBay "90467-" - this is the Toyota part number prefix for several of their various fasteners. You could also go to eBay and search for Toyota fasteners or clips.

Last edited by StanVanDam; 05-30-18 at 12:17 PM.
Marston (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 06:57 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Quibbling about a few bucks on a Lexus for proper fasteners seems a bit much to me. If you don't want a luxury car without paying for it, forget about it! Just my opinion.
tallcaguy (06-03-18)
Old 05-31-18, 03:22 AM
VortecCPI
Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Quibbling about a few bucks on a Lexus for proper fasteners seems a bit much to me. If you don't want a luxury car without paying for it, forget about it! Just my opinion.
In my case it was about time, not money. These were hanging on a hook at a local store.
Old 05-31-18, 06:30 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
I used Dorman 961-045 and they fit perfectly: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-8818-961-045.aspx

The Dorman package contains (3) large-diameter that fit engine covers and (3) small-diameter that fit light access covers and other panels that require smaller head diameter.

Pep Boys has them in stock at the location near me...

I also found these while searching around: https://www.buyautosupply.com/produc...exus-trim-clip
Thanks for the info on these fasteners. I'll need a few when I do the timing belt.
Old 05-31-18, 06:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is a very strange "area," maybe demand driven. My wife's GM vehicle, the screws for the fender liner are about $4 each ($3.xx)!! I find it amazing when eBay cannot help. Usually someone in the world deep discounts factory parts, not this screw. I think each wheel takes 8. Long ago I just broke down and ordered the genuine Toyota stuff, discount online (discount parts monster and parts.com) for the entire front of the car...maybe I wasted $30, but I like knowing I have them...they can be reused, but imho they are no longer very good after 2-5 undoings...
Old 05-31-18, 07:14 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I have both but I prefer to just keep Christmas tree fasteners in the drawer. Just press them in when your done. The twist in fasteners get splayed out and snagged it seems like. I like just the press in type -simple to use and you can always find them at the hardware store.
Old 05-31-18, 07:38 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
I did check a large local hardware store I use for fasteners for my motorcycle projects but they had nothing like this in stock.

The next time I am at Lowes I will check there as well. Since you're a bike owner... 1986 Yamaha SRX600...

Nice bike! I just bought a '86 Fazer last weekend. It's still being shipped here but once I get some pics I'll dig up the other thread about LS owners with bikes.
Old 05-31-18, 07:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Nice bike! I just bought a '86 Fazer last weekend. It's still being shipped here but once I get some pics I'll dig up the other thread about LS owners with bikes.
I was a young lad and this dude had a V65 Magna, I was in awe....lol same era I think
Old 05-31-18, 08:36 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I keep a ten pack of the Lexus ones for both my GX and my LS laying around... replace as needed.
Old 05-31-18, 09:00 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Some times it is not about 'quibbling about a few bucks'. It is that gross feeling that I get inside knowing that you are paying Lexus for something that I could have gotten for less, of same/similar quality.
Yes, I partially agree with the idea that if I want a luxury car I have to pay for certain things. This does not imply that I have to pay over $100.00 for an oil change, for example.
In fact, all the "luxury" cars that I have owned has been possible by me not throwing my money away.
For me it is a question of reliability and comfort, not a status symbol. In fact, in 1998 I bought a 6 cylinder Ford Contour, which I believe does not qualify as a luxury car. I gave it to away to family in 2002. It is still going strong; it has proven to be a nice car.
The idea that, "If you don't want a luxury car without paying for it, forget about it!", is something that I don't understand. Reading people's posts you will find many younger individuals, some still in school and living with their parents, that have been able to buy a Lexus but, have to be creative with maintenance.
Just my opinion.
MD
Old 05-31-18, 12:55 PM
VortecCPI
Driver

Originally Posted by caverman
Here is a quick little video of the bike before the tuned intake system was built and added. I was testing the secondary carb hence the delayed throttle opening. It is a 600cc kick-only single with a slider primary and CV secondary. Bikes now weighs ~360 pounds due to removal of non-essential items. SuperTrapp exhaust system and White Brothers airbox delete + DynoJet kit are all from 1990. Bike now has ~10,000 miles on the clock. Extremely rare machine...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 05-31-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 08:52 PM
Spdjnke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A kit with all various plastic fasteners can be had on amazon for 15 bucks. You will never need to buy any again. Some kits even comes with tools for removal.

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment - Cover Fasteners