LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice on buying a high mileage LS430 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 09:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Close to pulling the trigger on a high mileage 2004 LS430, need wise counsel

I need honest advice about a purchase.

I found a 2004 LS430 that it's in wonderful shape. It's exactly the color combination I want, but the problem is the mileage is a little on the high side : 130,000

I checked the VIN, it came clean with no accident history. I also checked the Lexus service records, and it looks like it was almost exclusively dealer maintained. The timing belt and water pump service was done around 30k miles ago.

I'm a fan of Lexus, I currently own an ES300 with around 150k miles, and I could still easily go further, but just want a change.

How "risky" of a bet is this car? My real fear is the transmission, I know this was the first year for the 6 speed. Are the previous 5 speeds more "robust."? usually with flagship cars, you have a lot more repairs. Am I looking at a money pit? Would anyone steer me to one with lower mileage?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-12, 10:25 AM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

This depends upon the price. As for the transmission, I haven't seen anything negative about them.
I would say that a well cared for LS430 with 130,000 miles shouldn't be hurt.
There are close to 1,000 of these cars for sale nationwide, so I would be shopping price and mileage.

Last edited by sajack; 09-18-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 10:40 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by sajack
This depends upon the price. As for the transmission, I haven't seen anything negative about them.
I would say that a well cared for LS430 with 130,000 miles shouldn't be hurt.
There are close to 1,000 of these cars for sale nationwide, so I would be shopping price and mileage.
I think I could get it for around $15,000, it's a private party.

I've seen similar year models with mileage in the 70k range for around $18k-$20k, and they're usually at dealers where I'm going to have to plunk down an additional $1,500 alone just for sales tax. Then you get into all the ridiculous "doc fees" and such. I don't see getting out the door for under $20k.

My thinking is, a $5,000 savings pays for a whole lot of repairs that will likely never actually happen.

At the same time, experience has taught me you're generally better off "overpaying" for a good used car than being a cheapskate. But the car in question is in fantastic shape and has been well maintained by the dealer, so this is a conundrum for me.
Old 09-18-12, 11:45 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

these cars are like tanks as i said several times before.do yourself a favor and buy it.sounds like a well kept car that will give you years of driving pleasure and has rock solid quality.
or you can buy a striped down versa with a warrenty.no brainer if you ask me.
Old 09-18-12, 12:18 PM
JazzyJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I think I could get it for around $15,000, it's a private party.

I've seen similar year models with mileage in the 70k range for around $18k-$20k, and they're usually at dealers where I'm going to have to plunk down an additional $1,500 alone just for sales tax. Then you get into all the ridiculous "doc fees" and such. I don't see getting out the door for under $20k.

My thinking is, a $5,000 savings pays for a whole lot of repairs that will likely never actually happen.

At the same time, experience has taught me you're generally better off "overpaying" for a good used car than being a cheapskate. But the car in question is in fantastic shape and has been well maintained by the dealer, so this is a conundrum for me.
Oh, you'll still be paying the sales tax. You'll pay it when you try to either title or register the car.
Old 09-18-12, 12:29 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by JazzyJ
Oh, you'll still be paying the sales tax. You'll pay it when you try to either title or register the car.
In my state, you only get dinged on the sales tax if it's from an actual car dealer.

But private party sales aren't taxed. Since our sales tax is just under 10%, it makes a substantial difference.
Old 09-18-12, 12:41 PM
JazzyJ
Driver School Candidate

In my state, you only get dinged on the sales tax if it's from an actual car dealer.

But private party sales aren't taxed. Since our sales tax is just under 10%, it makes a substantial difference.
That's sweet! I should move to AZ!
Old 09-18-12, 02:27 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NV is the same way with private party (no sales tax). Id say go for it if it's in the shape you say it is
Old 09-18-12, 02:38 PM
BradTank
Racer

Well I pulled the trigger!

I had talked with the owner on the phone and got all the background info, but when I actually saw the car and drove it, it truly did look like it came from the showroom floor. I was expecting the usual wear and tear, but it looked like a time capsule. I had looked at one earlier with less miles, but it was in nowhere near the condition this one was in.

The mileage is a bit of a gamble, but it's clear it was mainly highway miles. It was also a former CPO from Lexus, so I'm assuming it was gone through fairly extensively. I'll mentally set aside $5,000 for possible repairs versus buying one with lower miles, but I doubt I'll even come close to using it.
Old 09-18-12, 02:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

congrats.i cant see $5k in possible repairs.pretty mouch anything that comes up you can find a fix on this forum that you can do yourself.the easyest brake change of any car i have ever had.ive had over 40 vehicles.
Old 09-18-12, 05:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If the car is like new inside based on the previous owner's care its very likely in excellent shape mechanically as well. My guess is you will be able to double the mileage on the car with few problems. One thing I would check is if trans fluid has been changed. If it hasn't that's the first thing I'd do.
Old 09-18-12, 06:02 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer higher miles than lower ones. I believe more harm is done in age with little use, versus age with more use. Electronic components like capacitors and whatnot, seem to dry up earlier with little use. Plus thes cars are tanks. TANKS!! I specifically wanted a 2004 Lexus ls, because according to Consumer Reports, that year had the most complete red circles. Either 13 or 14, I can't remember. It was essentially THE MOST red marks out of any 2004 car in that issue if I recall.
I recently bought a 2004 with 166,000 miles on it for $9800!!!!!
The condition was near excellent. It had the custom luxury package with the leather dash, the suede headliner, mark levinson sound, auto door closers, headlight washers. It's niceeee. Serviced by Lexus religiously.

So you enjoy your purchase. Stay up on service, get to know your Lexus dealership because they truly are awesome and do everything to work with you. I was surprised at just how great they were.
Old 09-18-12, 06:08 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If the car is like new inside based on the previous owner's care its very likely in excellent shape mechanically as well. My guess is you will be able to double the mileage on the car with few problems. One thing I would check is if trans fluid has been changed. If it hasn't that's the first thing I'd do.
I posted this in another thread it with no response. So I'll repost it here. It's in regards the definition of "lifetime" fluid on the sealed 6speed transmission:

Help me understand this please. Since when does 100k miles equal lifetime?. Hyundai offered a 100k mile warranty not a lifetime one. Chrysler offered a lifetime warranty and it didn't stop at 100k miles. My 1997 Nissan maxima when I had it had a timing chain that was said to last the life of the engine. I racked up 220,000 miles and even when I got rid of it, timing chain was still fine. My 2004 Lexus has 168,000 miles with a dedicated Lexus service history at Lexus and transmission fluid was "inspected", never changed. It still shifts smoothly too. I'm curious who on here has high miles and never changed their 6-speed transmission fluid? I'm also curious who on here has ever had a transmission failure? Anybody? Since Lexus has clearly defined intervals for other items and fluids beyond 100k miles, is it too much to believe that despite the "dirty" fluid some have seen that the transmission was actually designed to operate with its fluid with the longevity expected out of an Ls430? Maybe the transmission fluid really is lifetime, not just 100k miles. Perhaps this is even remotely possible? Wouldn't the engineers have specified an interval if it required one just like they did withe the pre2004's?

Last edited by Pamperme; 09-18-12 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 06:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

edmunds is looking at 11 500 private party for silver
Old 09-18-12, 07:17 PM
LS400TX
Rookie

Wink

I need honest advice about a purchase.

I found a 2004 LS430 that it's in wonderful shape. It's exactly the color combination I want, but the problem is the mileage is a little on the high side : 130,000

I checked the VIN, it came clean with no accident history. I also checked the Lexus service records, and it looks like it was almost exclusively dealer maintained. The timing belt and water pump service was done around 30k miles ago.

I'm a fan of Lexus, I currently own an ES300 with around 150k miles, and I could still easily go further, but just want a change.

How "risky" of a bet is this car? My real fear is the transmission, I know this was the first year for the 6 speed. Are the previous 5 speeds more "robust."? usually with flagship cars, you have a lot more repairs. Am I looking at a money pit? Would anyone steer me to one with lower mileage?

Thanks for the help.

Have been driving LS 4xx for past 20 years. My first LS400/92 did get totaled at 411K with no major problems. Lat year I bought LS430UL with 150K, now 190K and no problems at all. These are very solid cars. If you want a money pit get a German car. I had a beemers, mercz, audies. They cost me 5 times more to maintain them and are not even close in reliability of LS. It's very nice ride , you will love it.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a high mileage LS430 (merged threads)