LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Door Locks not working in heat

Old 05-22-18, 08:55 PM
DPGDFW
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Locks not working in heat

First time posting so I apologize if I am not in the correct spot.

I have a 2005 LS430 - original owner. For the past 2 summers my door locks would sporadically work when it was hot outside. The key fob won't lock/unlock the doors so I would have to use the manual key. When the AC would cool the car down, the locks and key fob worked just fine. Also, everything works in the early morning (car is cool).

I am now noticing the pax front door lock works less often - even when car is cooled down.

I've read a ton about replacing actuators - but would this be the issue if the locks work during cooler weather?

I am not mechanical so I have to pay for repairs. Any ideas on the cost of such repairs?
Old 05-23-18, 01:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

I was quoted $750+tax just for one by the Lexus dealer, my driver door. I've sorta learned to live with it, doesn't bother me much anymore.

I had thought about going to a collision center with the part to see if they'd do it cheaper. Maybe a stereo place also, just anyone who has experience taking doors apart.

I refuse to pay nearly a grand to the dealer just for a door lock.
Old 05-23-18, 04:42 AM
DPGDFW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. $750 per door is high!

Did your doors work in cooler weather? Why would the actuators only be bad when it's warmer outside? I would have thought a bad part wouldn't operate regardless of temp.

Anyone have insight?
Old 05-23-18, 05:25 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The issue of locks not working in heat is a very common Toyota/Lexus problem, usually a symptom of the brushes going bad in the small electric motors that are inside the door lock actuators. Replacement electric motors can be sourced on ebay at other places for about $5-10 per motor. Replacing the motor involves taking out and then prying apart the actuator and replacing motor and then resealing/gluing - in some cases can be tricky, depends on the model.

I have also sporadically seen used or rebuilt actuators for various Toyota and Lexus models avail on ebay and other sites for $50-100 per actuator. That may be an easier solution if you can find the exact replacement. I personally have two $6 motors I bought on ebay that fit SC and LS actuators in my parts stash in case I ever have this issue on my car (and if seems like over time the question is when rather than if).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-tutorial.html
Old 05-23-18, 05:50 AM
DPGDFW
Driver School Candidate

Since I am not mechanical, I need to get this done at repair shop.
Do they need to replace the actuator or just the motor. I want to at least sound like I know something as repair places usually see a woman and assume we know nothing about the car!
Old 05-23-18, 12:34 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

On ebay, rebuilt actuators are available through a company called Actuators Plus. Around $170 depending on the door. Soft close doors are higher. A friendly body shop should be able to do the job for a hour or two of labor.

You probably only need the motor, however, you have to disassemble the actuator to get to it. Then put the whole thing back together. It is unlikely a shop will do that. That said, buy the actuator and find a shop to do the work. New OEM actuators can be bought on Amazon for around $240.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 05-24-18 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 08:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DPGDFW
Since I am not mechanical, I need to get this done at repair shop.
Do they need to replace the actuator or just the motor. I want to at least sound like I know something as repair places usually see a woman and assume we know nothing about the car!

MOst shops won;t agree to try to pry apart old actuators to replace the small motors. Call around to some local repair shops and ask them what labor only charge would be per door if you brought in new actuators yourself. Some shops will refuse to use your parts but you should find someone that will agree. In your case if you are not comfortable with serious diy, it is better to buy the complete actuator, and if price difference is small I'd buy brand new since you are paying a shop for labor you want to avoid paying to install a rebuilt faulty unit. I'd make an offer to an ebay seller to buy 2 or 4 actuators and ask for a discount for multiple units. Be careful to make sure you are buying the exact correct part. Go into local Lexus parts and ask them to give you exact part numbers for each actuator. They may be different part numbers for each door and may vary based on model year. The use the part numbers to search online to get the best price and bargain hard for discount on multiple units.

Ask for your old actuators back after the work is done and sell them back to one of the places that rebuilds them or on ebay.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05-23-18 at 08:45 PM.