LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight haze - is anyone replacing or are we all buffing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 04:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
The only thing that really shows the cars age is the headlights. I used rubbing compound and just buffed them by hand.

Any other kits or products folks like for headlights?

I seemed to remember replacement lenses were several hundred.
Thanks all!
Simply buffing will not provide durable results...

A proper restoration is a multi-step process...and most so-called restoration kits are sorely lacking.

A link to a proper headlight restoration on 1999 LS400:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/828856-headlamp-restoration.html
Old 05-21-18, 04:16 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomsplitr
I just replaced mine using the oem kit from Yahoo auction jp. Kinda pricey but worth it!
please do tell more! mine were repaired at some point and it caused hairline cracks and buffer burns and id love to replace them. cant be more than the complete assembly.
Old 05-21-18, 04:50 PM
Atomsplitr
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ibrahim83
please do tell more! mine were repaired at some point and it caused hairline cracks and buffer burns and id love to replace them. cant be more than the complete assembly.
Here are the parts and instructions. All you need is a hair dryer and a flathead screwdriver.

Right 04+
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f265745701

Left 04+
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r241450740
Attached Thumbnails Headlight haze - is anyone replacing or are we all buffing-20180512_092658.jpg   Headlight haze - is anyone replacing or are we all buffing-20180512_092650.jpg  
Old 05-21-18, 05:38 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve applied this on three vehicles so far in the past 6 months. I had to “refinish” my 2012 CT200h headlights before applying this product. My 2005 LS430 garage queen’s headlights are flawless. I did those as well, along with my wife’s 2017 Outback. I can’t comment on long term
performance, it just hasn’t been that long. The product has a distinct solvent smell, applies easily and doesn’t adversely affect optics. I will apply a few more coats before calling the job done. They don’t give you a great deal of product, but you don’t use much. Sealing the syringe is easy and secure in that it doesn’t solidify once sealed. I’ve had mine for about 3 months so far, stored in a garage in Texas.

https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opt...t-coating.html

Last edited by Davidsofia; 05-21-18 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 01:55 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine, got a set from a company I know and was happy. Sadly the computers in the lights were kaput and that made me sad - had to hunt for those pesky units.
Old 05-22-18, 04:47 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I used to use Meguiar's headlight restoration with acceptable results, but it didn't last.
This year I switched to Bluemagic and applied a thin coat of Turtlewax super hard shell. Several months later and the headlights are still clear.
Old 05-22-18, 06:26 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I did mine, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, then buffed with Chemical Guys V36. They came out pretty well IMO.
Old 05-22-18, 09:44 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I did the sanding, buffing, and then clear UV paint on both my LS and GS. They came out fairly decent but on my LS it started to slightly change color over time and the GS I got a little crazy with the rattle can and had some orange peel that most people probably wouldn't notice but it bugged the crap out of me every time I looked at the car. I ended up going to a local company that does sanding but then uses a chemical/sealant that makes them pretty much perfect. It cost me $100 but almost a year later and the still look really good.
Old 05-22-18, 10:34 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I did the sanding, buffing, and then clear UV paint on both my LS and GS. They came out fairly decent but on my LS it started to slightly change color over time and the GS I got a little crazy with the rattle can and had some orange peel that most people probably wouldn't notice but it bugged the crap out of me every time I looked at the car. I ended up going to a local company that does sanding but then uses a chemical/sealant that makes them pretty much perfect. It cost me $100 but almost a year later and the still look really good.
I got 3 years out of my moms headlight restoration on her 2000 Accord which was parked in the blazing sun before starting to peel. The company redid the headlights for $35 and was looking new again. Sold the car with 56,000 miles shortly after for very strong money. People don’t realize how clear headlights makes the appearance of the car pop as well as improving the headlight performance.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 05-22-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 11:27 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
People don’t realize how clear headlights makes the appearance of the car pop as well as improving the headlight performance.
So true. My sister bought a 2002 Taurus years ago and the headlights were so hazy they looked like they were painted white. 4-5 years ago she came over for a family get together and I got out my polish and cleaned them up for her. Amazing difference it made. It was funny how happy she was! She started looking at that car in a whole new light, until it succumbed to a rusty sub frame.. But, the headlights looked great.
Old 05-22-18, 06:40 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just redid my headlights actually along with the cruise control module, start with 1500 wetsand, step up to 3000 wetsand (be light, these are plastic headlights you can burn through as they are sensitive to heat) then I did a 3 step buff starting with rubbing compound on an orbital foam pad - make sure you're not heating them up HOT in the area in which you are focusing the buffing on this will cause damage. warm is ok the second step is a machine polish and 3rd step is a ultrafine machine polish I also used three different pads, one heavy cut one light cut one medium - one for each perspective compound= - I was using 3m mirror finish I think If you want specifics. Bottles of compound are not cheap nor is an orbital just sharing how I did it. my headlights do not leak and arent spider cracked. none of this will help that. Sorry that the headlights are on in the picture but this is the after! this is taken with a s6 in a dungeon of a detail shop so bear with the picture. no errors whatsoever with the cruise module. just take everything slowly and tape it all off. I was very happy with the outcome. the orange square in the cruise module I think is the detail shop microwave. P.S. drive up to Madison - Wisco and I'll wetsand and buff you're headlights for 20 bux . Always good to see another member

Last edited by InToyoda; 05-22-18 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 06:46 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

You may also clearcoat the headlights too for extra extra long lasting results with a proper bodyshop spraygun for the whole 9 yards. Edit: You can try spraycan clearcoat but you won't see me trying it on any of my vehicles headlights.

Last edited by InToyoda; 05-22-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 06:53 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Originally Posted by biacs
The only thing that really shows the cars age is the headlights. I used rubbing compound and just buffed them by hand.

Any other kits or products folks like for headlights?

I seemed to remember replacement lenses were several hundred.
Thanks all!
Post pics! this thread is worthless without pics!!!! (of the headlights that is, wish I has a before pic of mine - especially my cruise module.)
Old 05-24-18, 12:14 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

You need to refinish them and then apply a clear Xpel overlay which has a UV filter and 10 year warranty I believe. I did mine about 5 years ago. Prior to that I would have to redo about every 12 months since I park outside. I also did the PCS clear cover. Flawless.
Old 05-24-18, 01:59 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I would like to mention that my 2002 UL has no headlight haze, likely because it spends very little time out in the sun. No products have ever been applied to the plastic. Therefore, I would infer that UV and heat are the primary causes of the headlight hazing. If you can block or reduce one or both, you should be able to significantly slow the hazing process.

Quick Reply: Headlight haze - is anyone replacing or are we all buffing