Knock Sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 06:17 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Knock Sensor replacement

Hey everybody

I've got a P0325 code and have been experiencing loss of power/hesitation from the car. I'm getting ready to order all the parts needed and do the job myself. I've found a few threads on here where others have experienced the same issue. I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm that I won't need any other parts than the ones I'm planning on ordering. As well as see if any has a few tips on getting the job done. I've found the service manual directions for getting to the sensors and plan on using it as my guide. I saw someone mention that it'd be a good idea to service the fuel rail/injector seals at the same time. Anyone got an opinion on whether that's a good idea or a job that I can hold off on? Or if there's any others that should also be done at the same time? If the fuel rain/injector seals should be done at the same time what parts do I need to look at? Here's the parts I'll be ordering thanks in advance for any help!

TOYOTA / Lexus -Engine Intake Manifold Gasket Part # 17171-50020
Toyota/ Lexus Throttle Body-Gasket Part# 22271-50042
Toyota / Lexus Knock Sensor replacement Part # 89615-30080
Wiring harness 82122-50060

Last edited by SlkySmooth; 05-17-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 08:03 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

You can leave the injectors, fuel rail and throttle body attached to the manifold when you remove it if you don't want to service them. Each injector takes 2 o-rings and one rubber gasket. Keep track of where the injectors go if you remove them as the 4 rear ones have different part numbers and have a little insulating sleeve that goes over them that can be reused. You will also want to get new crush washers for the pulsation dampers as they are removed with the fuel rail. When I pulled my intake my injector seals were crispy with only 114k miles.
The following users liked this post:
SlkySmooth (05-18-18)
Old 05-18-18, 08:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I would think about the starter while I'm that deep into the engine....

And FYI...

1. Install the upper and lower intake manifolds assembly with the 6 bolts and 4 nuts.
Torque: 18 N.m (185 kgf.cm, 13 ft.lbf)

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 05-18-18 at 09:01 AM.
SlkySmooth (05-18-18)
Old 05-18-18, 08:58 AM
911LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I would think about the starter while I'm that deep into the engine....
I wouldn't mess with the starter unless there is a problem with it. And if I did replace it it would only be with a new Denso unit. Once you've pulled the intake for the first time you realize it's not very difficult and only takes about 30 minutes.
Old 05-18-18, 09:12 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
I wouldn't mess with the starter unless there is a problem with it.
That sounds good in theory, but I would have to consider the age and mileage on the car and the fact that it's already opened up. To each his own, but I hate doing the same job twice..
I agree on the Denso unit, but it would be difficult for me to take the manifold off, see the starter sitting there and not replace it with the mileage that I have on my 2001.

It could go another 50,000 miles, or it could fail next week.

Preventative maintenance is just that....
Lzam (01-07-23)
Old 05-18-18, 03:56 PM
911LE
Instructor

While you are in there take a good look at your coolant crossovers. There are 2 cast aluminum pieces that span head to head in the front and rear. They seal with metal gaskets underneath. There is also a metal pipe that connects the 2 crossovers that is sealed with o-rings on each end. I've seen these o-rings leak.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911LE:
Jabberwock (05-19-18), SlkySmooth (05-18-18)
Old 05-18-18, 06:16 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

While you are in there take a good look at your coolant crossovers. There are 2 cast aluminum pieces that span head to head in the front and rear. They seal with metal gaskets underneath. There is also a metal pipe that connects the 2 crossovers that is sealed with o-rings on each end. I've seen these o-rings leak.
Depending on how much I end up spending on parts for the knock sensor and fuel injectors I may try replacing the starter as well since my 2002 LS430 is going on 240k miles. Sounds like I should change those coolant o-rings as well. Could you give me the exact name or part number so I can look them up. I've found some fuel injector o-ring kits on ebay do these have all the rings I'll need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-Fuel-Inj...5.c10#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-10-Lexus...4AAOSwD39aZnMS

Thanks for all the info/advice everyone!
Old 05-18-18, 06:40 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Also found a few listings with both OEM knock sensors with a generic aftermarket harness included for about $26. I know OEM is usually the way to go but I wonder If the $150 or so I'd save on that harness would be worth the risk of having to take apart the intake again to replace it with the OEM harness?
Old 05-18-18, 07:34 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That sounds good in theory, but I would have to consider the age and mileage on the car and the fact that it's already opened up. To each his own, but I hate doing the same job twice..
I agree on the Denso unit, but it would be difficult for me to take the manifold off, see the starter sitting there and not replace it with the mileage that I have on my 2001.

It could go another 50,000 miles, or it could fail next week.

Preventative maintenance is just that....
Alternatively, you can rebuild the starter solenoid without removing the starter. First of all, the mounting bolts for the starter are difficult to access, and secondly, the motor itself rarely fails. Instead, the contacts on the solenoid plunger wear after years of operation and will fail eventually. The rebuild kit is readily available at Amazon.com. Check out the YouTube video I found on how to make the repair...

The following 3 users liked this post by rkw77080:
2KHarrier (05-21-18), Gronemus (06-15-18), Jabberwock (05-19-18)
Old 05-18-18, 08:14 PM
911LE
Instructor

The first eBay kit you show has all the seals you need for the injectors. When my intake was off I was replacing my head gaskets and I bought the oem head gasket kit that came with every seal and gasket from the short block up. If you want to mess with your starter I would just use the rebuild kit that rkw recommends as this was the failure point on both Toyota starters I had that went bad. Both were over 300k before the contact points failed. On my pickup the contact points welded themselves together and the starter wouldn't stop running.
Old 05-18-18, 11:29 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

On my pickup the contact points welded themselves together and the starter wouldn't stop running.
That must've been an exciting experience!
Old 05-21-18, 02:11 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing the same project in a couple of weeks ( replace both knock sensors and heat-protecting the wiring). I won't be pulling the injectors out, they can all stay on the rails and in the manifold, as that's more money than I need to spend. I don't have a gasket kit on order, but I'll get one if I find the gaskets themselves are a bit sad (winging it big time here). The starter motor will be coming out and I'll be getting the auto sparkie across from my workshop to recondition it for me. I'll be doing video logs on how I do this. Mine is outright going into limp mode once it gets up to running temperature
Old 05-21-18, 10:26 AM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scootymad
I'm doing the same project in a couple of weeks ( replace both knock sensors and heat-protecting the wiring). I won't be pulling the injectors out, they can all stay on the rails and in the manifold, as that's more money than I need to spend. I don't have a gasket kit on order, but I'll get one if I find the gaskets themselves are a bit sad (winging it big time here). The starter motor will be coming out and I'll be getting the auto sparkie across from my workshop to recondition it for me. I'll be doing video logs on how I do this. Mine is outright going into limp mode once it gets up to running temperature
Good luck! I'll be ordering everything this week. After watching that video someone shared earlier it seems pretty simple to rebuild the part of the starter that usually fails so I think I'll do that along with the fuel injector rings since I've got so many miles anyways. Don't forget to post if you're able to make that video or take any pics I'd love to see.
Old 05-21-18, 10:26 AM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

I've realized that the code for both banks have now popped up I wonder if that means it's the wiring not the sensors?
Old 05-21-18, 12:34 PM
911LE
Instructor

Just an fyi, the manifold bolts are large Torx heads. T50 if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor replacement