LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

XM Receiver in a 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 01:38 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default XM Receiver in a 430

Since I have an 02, I'd like to add SiriusXM. All my previous cars have had it built in, except one. On my 05 Camry I had a separate unit. They (Best Buy) cut a hole through some plastic part of the center stack and it was mounted there, just in front of the shifter.

At first I figured right below the CD player would be fine but there has to be a better solution. I don't want any drilling into the nice wood. I've seen in a video that someone had a satellite radio receiver in the sunglass holder but I don't want to reach up there every time I switch songs. What about the big ashtray? Do you guys think something could fit in there?

What other clever spots do you think I can have this? I prefer a nice clean look and on my Camry, the receiver stuck out like a sore thumb.
Old 05-11-22, 06:52 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

You should take a look at the VAIS website. They make a unit that will run through your factory system and mounts out of sight. Other companies such as Grom and iSimple make a similar unit. Use the search function, you will find many threads.

I had one in my '02 UL, it worked great.
Old 05-11-22, 07:30 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430Lexus
You should take a look at the VAIS website. They make a unit that will run through your factory system and mounts out of sight. Other companies such as Grom and iSimple make a similar unit. Use the search function, you will find many threads.

I had one in my '02 UL, it worked great.
Wow, that is awesome. I had no idea. I figured I would need to have one that sticks out and looks unsightly. Thank you very much.
Old 05-12-22, 09:40 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Come to think of it, I moved the Vais unit from the '02UL to the '03ML, then to the '06ML. Since the '03ML was totaled due to an accident, I was able to salvage the unit but had to order a new harness from Vais. They were a pleasure to deal with.

You can call Vais 720-733-2348, they are very helpful. Also, others on this site have been very happy with Grom products, you should check these out as well.
Old 05-12-22, 11:37 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Come to think of it, I moved the Vais unit from the '02UL to the '03ML, then to the '06ML. Since the '03ML was totaled due to an accident, I was able to salvage the unit but had to order a new harness from Vais. They were a pleasure to deal with.

You can call Vais 720-733-2348, they are very helpful. Also, others on this site have been very happy with Grom products, you should check these out as well.
Thank you very much. I see on the Vais website they have the tuner for about $300 and it says it works for all trim levels of the 430. Which is good because I thought for a second that it may not work since I don't have the touchscreen that came with the car; just buttons.

In the morning I'm going to call a few local dealers that they work with to see if I can get this done. Can't wait to get XM back in my car!
Old 05-13-22, 07:32 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Sounds like you have the Pioneer head unit rather than the Mark Levinson touchscreen. That means you can install an aftermarket head unit relatively easily. This would give you Sirius XM as well other modern features such as Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Nav, back-up camera and other things.

Now, this would be more complex and expensive depending on whether you replace speakers, factory wiring, etc. Rather than spend $300 plus installation on the Vais, you could get a modern unit. In this area, many others on this forum know more than I do. My guess is you can spend anywhere from a $1,000 or so on up. Try searching. Good Luck.
Old 05-13-22, 08:51 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Sounds like you have the Pioneer head unit rather than the Mark Levinson touchscreen. That means you can install an aftermarket head unit relatively easily. This would give you Sirius XM as well other modern features such as Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Nav, back-up camera and other things.

Now, this would be more complex and expensive depending on whether you replace speakers, factory wiring, etc. Rather than spend $300 plus installation on the Vais, you could get a modern unit. In this area, many others on this forum know more than I do. My guess is you can spend anywhere from a $1,000 or so on up. Try searching. Good Luck.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier.

Yes, I have an LS that doesn't have the touchscreen that Lexus put in these cars back then; it's all buttons. The climate controls are above and the audio controls are below.

I do not want a modern interface. I love the default look and how it all ties in together. I still use CD's but I mainly use XM (at least when I had it) and one day if I want to get a smartphone, I can use a tape adapter to run through my phone for music.