LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I love this car (Coolant Reservoir edition)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 01:37 AM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I love this car (Coolant Reservoir edition)

I checked my coolant for the first time since buying the car two weeks ago. I checked because my other car is a BMW where if anything goes even slightly wrong with the cooling system, the engine will pretty much overheat and destroy itself in short order (so I am **** about this stuff).

Anyway, the Lexus had zero coolant in the reservoir! I smacked myself and added water (and ordered some Toyota coolant online). Then I sat down and read up on this issue on Club Lexus. It seems this is a common thing that rarely results in overheating (if you monitor it every month or so?) I laughed at how this issue is life-threatening to a BMW, but is barely a concern for our LS's. One more reason to be happy with my purchase.
Old 05-13-18, 04:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yup, you pretty much nailed it on the head. The coolant will evaporate in these cars over time. I add a little to my 2001 every 8-10,000 miles or so.

It's not an uncommon issue, as you will see.. VV
The following 2 users liked this post by 2KHarrier:
Bocatrip (05-13-18), Thecar (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 09:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My ls430 had no coolant in the reservoir, and none that could be seen in radiator, when I bought it used. Temp normal.

my 335i has a pressurized reservoir, so if it had no coolant, it would be indicative of a serious problem. But it has never been low, at least after 11 yrs, with a coolant replacement at 5 yrs. My .02...

edit ps Walmart usually has a great deal on 50/50 pink sllc2, a round $9 gal....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-13-18 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Thecar (05-14-18)
Old 05-13-18, 10:25 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Yup, you pretty much nailed it on the head. The coolant will evaporate in these cars over time. I add a little to my 2001 every 8-10,000 miles or so.

It's not an uncommon issue, as you will see.. VV
Agreed. Normal and common for the LS430. Just keep an eye on it regularly by just looking at the level in the morning while leaning in and over the air intake plastic piece adjacent to the radiator. I need to add occasionally and keep it topped up to minimum to avoid it getting low. Normal evaporation from the reservoir.
Old 05-13-18, 05:40 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A little anecdotal experience. I noticed the resivoir tank was pretty empty no matter what during the winter months. But was halfway full after a drive today in 90° weather. I haven't refilled it or otherwise messed with it in between the seasons. The fluid seems to expand quite a good deal when it's warm.
Old 05-13-18, 06:25 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobius1
A little anecdotal experience. I noticed the resivoir tank was pretty empty no matter what during the winter months. But was halfway full after a drive today in 90° weather. I haven't refilled it or otherwise messed with it in between the seasons. The fluid seems to expand quite a good deal when it's warm.

v = 1 / ρ = V / m (volumetric expansion formula)

where

v = specific volume (m3/kg, ft3/lb)

ρ = density (kg/m3, lb/ft3)

V = volume of unit (m3, ft3)

m = mass of unit (kg, lb)

Or something like that......

Old 05-14-18, 02:18 AM
Thecar
Driver

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier

v = 1 / ρ = V / m (volumetric expansion formula)

where

v = specific volume (m3/kg, ft3/lb)

ρ = density (kg/m3, lb/ft3)

V = volume of unit (m3, ft3)

m = mass of unit (kg, lb)

Or something like that......

When you are talking about math, I don't think you are allowed to say "or something like that"!
Old 05-14-18, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Thecar
When you are talking about math, I don't think you are allowed to say "or something like that"!
It would be ok if you work for the EPA! lol

I used to be one of those guys who put a lot of weight into the mpg ratings, until I was told they test < 15% of the vehicles. Otherwise it's self-reported by the mfg. (fox in the hen house conundrum).

My wife's has a 16/22 when it's closer to 12 combined and 19 highway. But GM gets a free pass! When BMW said 36 highway on the 2012 328i, the EPA immediately tested the vehicle and BMW had to revise the number down to 33. Or something like that!

With the coolant on my LS430, I thought blown head gaskets, this is what I get for buying a used car. Knock on wood it couldn't have been further from the truth and yes it does totally evaporate over time....because on coolant drain/fill and a 2nd with a water pump/timing belt job, and it doesn't "consume" coolant...
Old 05-14-18, 10:32 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

The coolant in the system that evaporates is likely that which comes out of the weep hole in the water pump. Not a very high volume but over the course of time you can see the remnants of it when you replace your water pump...
Old 05-14-18, 10:34 AM
Thecar
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
The coolant in the system that evaporates is likely that which comes out of the weep hole in the water pump. Not a very high volume but over the course of time you can see the remnants of it when you replace your water pump...
Is this what you mean? Seems like I could easily check this with an inspection mirror, probably have to take the plastic radiator cover off though, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, the image is of a LS460, not a 430. Is this something checkable on the 430 without too much disassembly?

Old 05-14-18, 01:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Even at a very small rate of weepage, wouldn't there be at least a hint of coolant smell out side the car or under the hood after a drive? My nose has always been my best tool on detecting leaks, and there has never been any coolant smell other than when my radiator failed.
Old 05-14-18, 06:06 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Thecar
Is this something checkable on the 430 without too much disassembly?
I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me that many of the water pumps in our LS430's weep to some extent. It's what it is designed to do. Here are a couple of pictures I took while changing out the timing belt and WP last fall. IIRC, for the most part, the mass of coolant in there was pretty dry. The drops of coolant that you see are from draining some of the coolant out of the car. I also was poking at the stuff before taking these pictures...

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Even at a very small rate of weepage, wouldn't there be at least a hint of coolant smell out side the car or under the hood after a drive? My nose has always been my best tool on detecting leaks, and there has never been any coolant smell other than when my radiator failed.
I don't think much coolant weeps out at any given time, perhaps a drop(s) at a time and it probably evaporates rather quickly since I assume it's happening when the engine is pretty hot. And the fact that it's pretty buried in there might be the reason why you don't smell it.

Another leakage point I've come to discover is the overflow tank. At least according to the pictures of mine when I removed my radiator when I was changing out the timing belt. I'm not quite sure of the leakage path in this case...

The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-15-18)
Old 05-14-18, 07:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

If more owners examined their reservoirs they would also notice the pinkish staining along the sides and top. It is quite common and par for the course.
Old 05-15-18, 10:37 AM
Abernoots
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, two nights ago my LS was overheating, pulled into my friend's driveway, absolutely 0 coolant. I ran to the nearest gas station and filled it up. Crisis averted for now. when I have more time I'll check out if I have any leaks. Are there any common places/hoses where it tends to leak from?
Old 05-15-18, 10:41 AM
Thecar
Driver

Originally Posted by Abernoots
Are there any common places/hoses where it tends to leak from?
I'm too new to know the common places, but seeing how the coolant leaves obvious white/pink streaks when it dries, it shouldn't be too hard to see where you are losing it (so long as it's not an internal thing).

Quick Reply: I love this car (Coolant Reservoir edition)