My new ‘05 LS430 UL w/ 38k mi

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 07:16 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ahxks1
Thanks guys.

honestly, what are we 3rd gen LS owners going to be driving 10 or 20 years down the road? Low mileage pickins are slim as it is now! We’ll be like the Cubans reconditioning all their ‘59 and older vehicles over and over again.
Congrats; she is a beauty. i love the burned wood exclusive to black interior CL and UL trims. On top of that the saddle makes it a very rare car.

10-20 years down the road I think parts support will be a problem for the 3rd gen LS. If Toyota quits making wear and tear parts like control arms I doubt an aftermarket supplier will make them because the market is very limited.

Personally, I have been looking for a 98-00 SC400 black on black with Nak sound with under 90K miles for over 4 years. That is the Lexus car I want to keep forever. Lot of wear and tear surf is compatible with mark 4 Supras and support is excellent. Production was very limited and I would say over 60% of them have been junked or are so trashed they are not worth buying at any price. There was a 98 SC400 is San Francisco that met my requirements about 2 years ago. It had something like 50-60K miles and was priced at $12K; one owner and dealer maintained...it looked flawless. It sold within 18 hours of being listed on Autotrader. I still regret not calling them sooner.
Old 05-12-18, 08:31 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful.
Old 05-12-18, 10:06 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great find, color combo. I also have saddle but with Moonlight White Pearl. Congrats on the pick up.
Old 05-14-18, 03:42 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks guys.

honestly, what are we 3rd gen LS owners going to be driving 10 or 20 years down the road? Low mileage pickins are slim as it is now! We’ll be like the Cubans reconditioning all their ‘59 and older vehicles over and over again.
That's exactly why I bought a backup 430. It only has 22k miles on it and I drive it about once or twice a month. When my current car dies (141k miles), I'll switch over and start driving it. Between the 2, I hope they last me 20 years.
Old 05-14-18, 02:07 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Amen!!! You've just asked the million dollar question I ask myself monthly! I've been at a loss on what to buy next after my 2005 LS (155k miles) becomes too tired, or I tire of her. I very much WANT to stay with a Lexus....but I'm not interested in the 07-09's.

I like the 2010-2012's but HATE their uninspiring/plain/not exclusive look from the front. (Is that a Camry driving up behind me? ES? Kia???)

The LS600 is slightly more attractive from the front, but I like my trunk space, and don't need all the crap for the usually empty back seat!

All the lines on all those year LS's when looking at the vehicle from the SIDE are beautiful though!

2013?...I'd never buy that 1st model because it's the first year of the totally revamped LS.

2014+?...I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin yet, not to mention the 2013+ body style doesn't inspire me and wow me how the 04-06 simply WOW'ed me, back in the day. Maybe a 2012 LS "sport" model I can tolerate?

Sorry to thread jack, but I had to vent about my 1st world problems. I do thank God, and also acknowledge the right CHOICES I've made in life, to be so lucky and blessed to be in a quandary like this though.
I strongly considered an 04-06 LS430, but ended up falling in love with an amazing, loaded 2010 LS600hL! I own a mint-condition 2006 SC430 (only 21k miles, a real "garage queen"), so I'm not afraid of buying a 12-14 year old Lexus. My LS600hL was a local 1-owner (Corporate CEO's car) that originally stickered for $126,600. It has every conceivable Lexus option, including Lane Keep Assist, Radar Cruise, Pre-Collision system with Driver Attention Monitor, and the best part: Executive Seating Package II in the back. My right rear seat has a built-in ottoman, and the seat reclines really well. I have an amazing Shiatsu massage function for the back seat, and a DVD screen that comes down from the ceiling (along with a dedicated DVD player in the back seat). It's a rare Peridot Mica color with a parchment interior. It's truly a "Unicorn" LS, and one I plan to own for a LONG time!

Sorry to highjack this thread, but LS400inDE mentioned the LS600, and I had to show her off!

Old 05-14-18, 04:02 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car and rare color. I also had two SC convertible hard tops. The SC and LS are the most reliable convertible hard tops and large sedans you can buy. For both vehicles, I think the 18” wheels are too harsh. My LS does not absorb NY pot holes well at all and I don’t understand the interest of LS owners who want 20s or more on their LSs. I don’t have the convertibles anymore but now that I have an LS again, I’d like to trade someone for their LS 17s or (gasp) 16s.

If anyone is interested this is what my 18s look like (note the gold center cap). otherwise I will look to buy a set of 16s or 17s outright.
Old 05-15-18, 02:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I strongly considered an 04-06 LS430, but ended up falling in love with an amazing, loaded 2010 LS600hL! I own a mint-condition 2006 SC430 (only 21k miles, a real "garage queen"), so I'm not afraid of buying a 12-14 year old Lexus. My LS600hL was a local 1-owner (Corporate CEO's car) that originally stickered for $126,600. It has every conceivable Lexus option, including Lane Keep Assist, Radar Cruise, Pre-Collision system with Driver Attention Monitor, and the best part: Executive Seating Package II in the back. My right rear seat has a built-in ottoman, and the seat reclines really well. I have an amazing Shiatsu massage function for the back seat, and a DVD screen that comes down from the ceiling (along with a dedicated DVD player in the back seat). It's a rare Peridot Mica color with a parchment interior. It's truly a "Unicorn" LS, and one I plan to own for a LONG time!

Sorry to highjack this thread, but LS400inDE mentioned the LS600, and I had to show her off!

That really is a beautiful car, especially from the side! Thanks for making me salivate uncontrollably.

This sounds nuts, but if there were such a unicorn of 2012 LS600hL WITHOUT the backseat accessories, I'd be all over it.

PS, you're shorting me .3 liters!
Old 05-16-18, 08:47 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

loyalty charge, document fee, and ridiculously marked up $750 prep fee.
this is why people don't like car dealers, because they put these insults in front of their customers....it just screams you are a stupid customer...

but anyway, nice car with rare colors. Congratulations.

seems pricey though...that ES has a rough market value of 25k.
Old 05-16-18, 09:08 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar

That is a nice looking color. I guess we all will be asking ourselves at some point.. "Now what do I drive?" I'm not opposed to the 4th gen LS, but it would have to be the right one.
When my 2001 is done in a couple years, I'll be taking over the '05 which currently gets driven very infrequently and my wife will get something else to drive. She doesn't use most of the features of the 05, so I can't imagine plopping her into the seat of a car like the 600.. I think her eyes would glaze over with confusion....
Old 05-16-18, 11:25 AM
Brian05LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good grief what a great looking car!!
Old 05-22-18, 03:12 AM
ahxks1
Driver

@LS430inDE., Just noticed the 2017 Genesis G90 in your signature. What a car! The only one I'd want in place of an LS430. Why did you sell it after only a year?
Old 05-22-18, 05:31 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

@LS430inDE., Just noticed the 2017 Genesis G90 in your signature. What a car! The only one I'd want in place of an LS430. Why did you sell it after only a year?
That's not me, that's RICK (riknchar) !
The following users liked this post:
ahxks1 (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 05:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
this is why people don't like car dealers, because they put these insults in front of their customers....it just screams you are a stupid customer...

but anyway, nice car with rare colors. Congratulations.

seems pricey though...that ES has a rough market value of 25k.
On dealers, everything is "optional." My dad hadn't bought a new car in over 10 years, he actually liked Honda. They jacked up all kinds of extra fees, he had one of those bogus "price promise" printouts from the web. The kind Honda dealer's sales mgr. circled the asterisk on my dad's paper showing that they can add any fees they want to the price promise hahahahahahahaha

Anyway he's stubborn and refused to pay and left. Then he went to GM where they also had all kinds of fees, a couple hard printed on the invoice paper, and he asked them to remove all of them, incl. DMV, and they did. It really depends.

BMW tried to charge me training and MACO which I was not aware of, but when googled, it was legit (it was a form of tribute where dealers have to kick up to Munich/Woodcliff Lake, think of the Sopranos). I simply said I'm not paying and give the allocation to somebody else I no longer want the car (it was an $800 fee for nothing at all). Suddenly the "bird in hand" theory kicked in and I didn't have to pay it. Don't you wish that in your own profession, you could give somebody an out the door price, then 5 days later, tell them they need to pay more? I bet you don't and prefer to earn an honest living.
Old 05-22-18, 07:24 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

ahxks: I did own a 2017 Genesis G90 for around 6 months, and you're right, it is a pretty impressive car. It's kind of a long story, but I basically traded my beloved 2008 LS600hL for a Leased 2017 Genesis G90. I got a great lease deal and a fair trade in. I did really enjoy the G90 for the most part. I documented my thoughts on the transition from Lexus to Genesis pretty thoroughly in this thread on the LS460 forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nesis-g90.html

I did end up really missing some of the aspects of the Lexus LS, though, and had gotten such a great deal on the G90 that I found I was able to sell it back to the dealer after 6 months without losing any money. So I did that and started to look for another Lexus LS. I really wanted another LS600, but they are very rare and generally outside my price range, so I ended up buying a very nice 2010 Lexus LS460L AWD from Lexus of Omaha in Feb. I was very happy with my LS460L until I made the mistake of surfing CarGurus.com and discovered that my "dream car" (the 2010 LS600hL I now own) had just been traded in locally. So I struck a pretty great trade-in deal on the LS600hL, and the rest is history. For those interested in more details of my purchase of my current LS600hL, here's the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-ls600hl.html

I am a huge fan of the LS600hL, and if any of you are considering what to get when your LS430 dies of natural causes eventually, I'd be happy to answer any questions about why the LS600hL is such an amazing replacement.
Old 05-22-18, 04:42 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Thanks Rik. A few years back, I traded in my ‘04 LS430 UL for an ‘07 LS460 base with the stock 18s.

i was never happy with it. Rough ride. The car you have now is the same generation, but different trim. How’s the ride with the LS600h?

Quick Reply: My new ‘05 LS430 UL w/ 38k mi