LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fuel stats did not automatically reset

Old 05-18-18, 09:29 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I would agree with your hypothesis, unless there's a flow switch mounted in the fill pipe somewhere, that when activated by the fuel movement through the filler neck/pipe enroute to the tank, it connects to the reset circuit?

I'll doublecheck this weekend to see if it resets ONLY after refuelling or...after refuelling AND transmission being shifted out of P. Not knowing which scenario resets the stats kinda irks me lol.
I found this information. It's rather interesting to read, but doesn't explain where the Tank AVG reset comes from ;
  • The multi-information display consists of three display areas (computer area, graphic area, and warning area) and the master warning indicator. These areas display the contents given in the table.
  • A steering pad switch (for multi-information display) that switches the contents of the multi-information display has been provided on the steering wheel.

Old 05-18-18, 05:43 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
For me, I don't want to do a manual reset, I want it to work as designed and the way it has worked over the last 19 mos. (it does its thing behind the scenes).
Are we still at the point that your LS doesn't reset automatically after refuelling?
Old 05-18-18, 06:00 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I found this information. It's rather interesting to read, but doesn't explain where the Tank AVG reset comes from ;
  • The multi-information display consists of three display areas (computer area, graphic area, and warning area) and the master warning indicator. These areas display the contents given in the table.
  • A steering pad switch (for multi-information display) that switches the contents of the multi-information display has been provided on the steering wheel.

At first I thought I was reading C17 Technical Orders & Job Guides, with references to the WAP (Warning Annunciation Panel), Multi-Informational Display, and the Master Warning goes on and shuts off. I was going to freakout if there was a reference to the "glareshield", lol
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-19-18)
Old 05-22-18, 06:29 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

So, if anyone's interested in the fuel stats reset, today is Tiger Tuesday! That means fill-up time with super at Exxon for the price of plus!

My LS fuel stats reset NOT after filling up...NOT after placing into drive...but after the car moved forward about 5'-10' after refuelling. Don't ask me if they reset if you go immediately into reverse. But I'll find out next Tuesday!

Just thought I'd post the exact details as I experienced them. And yes, I left her running...and yes, she again, stumbled for about 6 seconds as soon as fuel started transferring from the nozzle into the filler neck! She then corrected back to proper idle.

Things that make you go HHHhhhmmmm.....
Old 05-23-18, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Are we still at the point that your LS doesn't reset automatically after refuelling?
Only refueled once since, and it was fine that time. Will get some of that Top Tier Costco today!!

I feel I had to have done something with the ignition to cause it to not reset., because I need the ignition to operate my power window after so many secs (dunno how many), or I need the ignition on to read the odometer to enter it into my phone. Last time I made sure ignition was off the entire time. Never thought of it before.

Maybe the car knows if engine running, or not, with ignition on? For example, at least my wife's, you cannot test the DRLs without starting the engine. The ignition ON does not trigger them. So somewhere in the logic, it knows both ignition must be on, and engine running, and lights in AUTO, for DRLs to turn on (makes sense since those **** bulbs overheat and are 27W each).
Old 05-23-18, 06:58 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My LS fuel stats reset NOT after filling up...NOT after placing into drive...but after the car moved forward about 5'-10' ....
That's what mine does. When I start moving, it will show a new estimated range after 5-10" of driving. Tied into WSS somehow...
Old 05-23-18, 10:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I observed today and it did reset. It almost seemed like it reset when I reached a certain velocity (low, 2-3 mph?). I felt like I creeped up quite a bit and nothing changed (was thinking ruh roh). Then it went to dashes, on the tank avg screen.

People can be a bit nasty at a Costco gas station, esp. full serve (dang $3.159 today). This Malibu to my right laid in on the horn, prolly a dude in a Mini 2 cars up, was getting situated with something before leaving. I mean he must have taken a full 15 sec. of doing nothing--and cars behind will never be able to get that 1/4 min. back.

Full of grace, is the human race....
Old 05-23-18, 11:33 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
People can be a bit nasty at a Costco gas station, esp. full serve (dang $3.159 today). This Malibu to my right laid in on the horn, prolly a dude in a Mini 2 cars up, was getting situated with something before leaving. I mean he must have taken a full 15 sec. of doing nothing--and cars behind will never be able to get that 1/4 min. back.

Full of grace, is the human race....
The Costco I go to has never had a line at the gas station. Never waited for a pump.
Old 05-23-18, 11:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 911LE
The Costco I go to has never had a line at the gas station. Never waited for a pump.
Lines are long in NJ on the weekends. Complete bedlam. Not as much during the week. Full service compounds the problem as attendants don't really get compensated for the number of vehicles they serve (why don't they, they are swiping a membership, not ours, so it could be tracked). There are times there is not enough physical room for all the vehicles.

In CT, I observed the lines are not that long, and also, the delta between Costco and other gas stations is < 10 cents.

I saw long lines in Calif., due to the delta, self service, but orderly. Only in CA can a line be unreasonable imho, and people don't get down one another's throats. Even Toronto was a mess (Mississauga which is GTA)....I decided to cut the ties on business, I just get wherever, no longer go to Costco to save my co. money filling the rental