LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bumpy and not-so-quiet ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 01:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Other than paying more... you can never go wrong with a Michelin. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
ipstat (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 02:33 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Tire manufacturers constantly have sales offer rebates. I would look for a good tire on sale instead of looking for a mid priced tire that's just ok...
What brands or tires are considered good?
Old 04-30-18, 02:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ipstat
@LS430inDE. The tires are from 2010 and 2011. 2111, 2011, 4110, 4110.
Here's a great article to gain some more insight. Good article to read about tires (MB and Nissan recommend tires older than 6 years old be replaced.)

My favorite tire store is www.discounttiredirect.com. They ship for free and often have great sales and rebates. If you can wait for Memorial Day, they often have REALLY good sales for several days around the holidays!!! Here's my tire store link comparing 2 good quality/good priced tires with rebates! I agree with John regarding the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums. They're a very good price/very good performance. My fav tire store comparing 2 very good tires for 17" tires for LS430

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-30-18 at 02:39 PM.
ipstat (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 02:45 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Here's a great article to gain some more insight. Good article to read about tires (MB and Nissan recommend tires older than 6 years old be replaced.)

My favorite tire store is www.discounttiredirect.com. They ship for free and often have great sales and rebates. If you can wait for Memorial Day, they often have REALLY good sales for several days around the holidays!!! Here's my tire store link comparing 2 good quality/good priced tires with rebates! I agree with John regarding the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums. They're a very good price/very good performance. My fav tire store comparing 2 very good tires for 17" tires for LS430
Thanks! That would be great but we are going on a roadtrip for Memorial Day weekend, so that won't work. I'll check out those articles.
Old 04-30-18, 02:47 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Thanks! That would be great but we are going on a roadtrip for Memorial Day weekend, so that won't work. I'll check out those articles.
They are SO NICE, and SO CUSTOMER oriented there, they MIGHT...they just MIGHT allow you to receive the difference if you buy from them now, and then call them during the holiday to "complain" about the price. I'm not kidding. They are THAT customer oriented. Keep us informed!!!
Old 04-30-18, 02:54 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Also, regarding the sound volume, is that a tire issue too or can it be attributed to other things?
Old 04-30-18, 03:19 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
They are SO NICE, and SO CUSTOMER oriented there, they MIGHT...they just MIGHT allow you to receive the difference if you buy from them now, and then call them during the holiday to "complain" about the price. I'm not kidding. They are THAT customer oriented. Keep us informed!!!
That would be good.

How does the site work? Do they come and install for you at your house? How do they do the balancing and installation?
Old 04-30-18, 03:45 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

That would be good.

How does the site work? Do they come and install for you at your house? How do they do the balancing and installation?
You have to have the tires shipped (free) to your preferred auto service station or tire installer, or even to your house. Obviously, tell your service place that they'll be receiving your 4 nice & new rubber smelling tires and not to re-sell them, lol.
Old 04-30-18, 04:03 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

I would like to agree with others to suggest you replacing all four tires. Now, if the tire is aged and is no longer able to maintain factory-spec softness level, LS430 will drive roughly and produce annoying road noise. New tires plus alignment and road force balance is the method to restore Ls430 smoothness almost guaranteed.

If I have extra money, I would not hesitate to purchase Michelin. If you want to save, Kumho Ecsta PS31 (summer version) is an excellent choice. I drove almost 5k miles on them since most recent purchase and I guarantee that this is a quality product. They used to cost around 70-90 dollars per 18 inch tire.
ipstat (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 05:09 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

My car came with a new set of the Dunlop 5000M tires. I would not have purchased these myself, as tire rack has them at 261.47 each, making a set of four tire $1,047 and change not including pointing and balancing.

When its it’s time to replace, I suspect I’ll go with the Michelin MXM4’s. They were stock on my CT200H, and I’ve have great experiences with them. Given the Kuhmo’s in the earlier post, I might have to give them some additional research! Much better than $220 a tire.

Discount tire will price match, so shop around and print them off when you go! whomever designed the Discount Tire website should be looking for work. It is awful, and seemingly intentionally confusing.

Last edited by Davidsofia; 04-30-18 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Discount tire website
ipstat (04-30-18)
Old 05-02-18, 08:58 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls430w140
I would like to agree with others to suggest you replacing all four tires. Now, if the tire is aged and is no longer able to maintain factory-spec softness level, LS430 will drive roughly and produce annoying road noise. New tires plus alignment and road force balance is the method to restore Ls430 smoothness almost guaranteed.

If I have extra money, I would not hesitate to purchase Michelin. If you want to save, Kumho Ecsta PS31 (summer version) is an excellent choice. I drove almost 5k miles on them since most recent purchase and I guarantee that this is a quality product. They used to cost around 70-90 dollars per 18 inch tire.
How quiet are the Kumho tires? I saw a review that said that the PA31 which are touring are quieter. I don't want it to be louder than what I have now but that may not be an issue with these tires are 8 yo., so any new tires may be better.
Old 05-02-18, 10:12 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

be wary of Discount tire. my experience was my car had Michelin hydroedge when I bought it. decent tire similar to the Defender I believe. when they were done I went with Michelin MXV4 primacy due to the recommendations on this forum. Paid full price and about 6 months later I had a flat and went to Discount to buy another 2 tires, 1 to replace the flat tire and 1 to replace the 8 year old Dunlop spare. at this point I discovered that the MXV4 were discontinued and no longer available. I had to have the flat repaired and used it until I could stand no more of it leaking a lot of air. Discount tried to sell me new rims (wheels) and said my problem was my beautiful OEM 17 inch chrome wheels. They said the wheels were the problem and I asked them to show me the place where the wheels were causing the problem. Wheels are perfect, no corrosion at all any where. The prorated me a set of Pirelli tires and if you go with Pirelli be aware that they make a bunch of similar sounding tires (P7, P7+, all season ect.) some good and some not so good. When I bought the P7+ they tried to sell me their own version of the tire claiming the P7+ were going to be discontinued soon. The Pirelli's are a decent tire, but I think that for the price you can get as good a tire or maybe even a better cheaper tire. consumer reports recommends Pirelli and Michelin but the top tire is Continental. good luck
Old 05-02-18, 11:07 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

How quiet are the Kumho tires? I saw a review that said that the PA31 which are touring are quieter. I don't want it to be louder than what I have now but that may not be an issue with these tires are 8 yo., so any new tires may be better.
They are very quiet. And yes, I am not exaggerating .
Old 05-02-18, 12:21 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls430w140

They are very quiet. And yes, I am not exaggerating .
That's great!
It also seems that there is a highly rated Kumho LX Platinum on tire rack. Thanks for replies. Still shopping
Old 05-03-18, 01:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Try to buy the tires from the retailer that will be installing them. I recently purchased a set of Pirelli P7s from Tire rack. Ultimately, I was not happy with the tires and although I was able to return them, it was a hassle between having to pay shipping to return them, and the extra expense of mounting the replacement tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4) at Costco. Buy the tires from the place that installs them!

Quick Reply: Bumpy and not-so-quiet ride?