LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which timing belt/waterpump combo on rock auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 08:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Exactly. It's foolish to think that a company, Mitsuboshi, would have 2 lines set up to make the same product. If the new belts are made in the US, that's great. If the dealer belts are different then they must be NOS and not new. They could be almost 20 years old "new".
Read the post in its entirety...

Am informed by Aisin both belts are manufactured in Ottawa, IL on same production line, yet they are different...

I tell you this...If both manufactured on same production line, , there is no way they are manufactured at same time..

Couldn't get a straight answer, but my money is on the Toyota spec timing belt vs. Aisin aftermarket...the spine material appears different.
Old 04-15-18, 08:39 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Exactly. It's foolish to think that a company, Mitsuboshi, would have 2 lines set up to make the same product. If the new belts are made in the US, that's great. If the dealer belts are different then they must be NOS and not new. They could be almost 20 years old "new".
As far as I know, there are certain parts in Japanese cars that are not able to be purchased in aftermarket. For example, original oil filter, original brake pad, original Denso radiator - they are either differently manufactured or have other part number depending on who is the purchaser. I also believe that companies like Denso have specific departments/relationship working with clients like Lexus and make sure they supply highest quality product for original production.
Old 04-15-18, 09:09 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that Denso doesn't even make the actual factory radiator anymore. When vehicle production ended they produced a certain extra amount to supply dealers for the foreseeable future. When that supply is exhausted it will be listed as no longer available (which has already happened with quite a few factory parts for these cars). They then moved the production line to Taiwan and started producing them as aftermarket. Their maf sensors are now made in Vietnam.
Old 04-16-18, 09:46 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I think Yoda just has a problem with Ottawa Il...
Old 04-16-18, 09:51 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Yoda is very opinionated about things and wherever he goes there is conflict in his wake lol
Old 04-16-18, 01:27 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Spoke to Production Engineer at Mitsuboshi plant in Ottawa about the Aisin kit timing belts..

Seemed unaware of the problem described, yet did not get back to me in regards to corroborating Aisin's story as to how the timing belts are different yet manufactured on the same production line...

However, the Toyota sourced belt is superior...and it is not manufactured 20 years ago....
Old 04-16-18, 02:34 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would like to correct my entry on # 7
I meant to write Aisin not Denso
Rock Auto also carries Continental timing belts. Continental is a European rubber manufacturer which produces all kinds of rubber products. They are usually well known for their tires. Conti is considered a quality product
These days many companies produce where it is the most economical for them . This does not mean it is inferior. I remember Michelin who produces tires in Korea under the name Nexus. As long as the specifications are the same it really does not matter
Old 04-16-18, 02:37 PM
semar
Advanced

Does Lexus or Toyota actually make the timing belt or are they using specific suppliers?
Old 04-16-18, 03:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I purchased my car 9 years ago and the timing belt was already replaced a year before. If I had a choice I would have only purchased OEM for belt and water pump. For the amount of labor involved.. why hold back on a few bucks for such integral parts? But that's me for everything for my LS430. When I'm long gone... someone is going to get a hell of a well maintained old Lexus! My diligent efforts will be their gain!
Old 04-16-18, 05:09 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Any new belt on the market is better than the one I pulled off of my '05 this weekend:
Old 04-17-18, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I purchased my car 9 years ago and the timing belt was already replaced a year before. If I had a choice I would have only purchased OEM for belt and water pump. For the amount of labor involved.. why hold back on a few bucks for such integral parts? But that's me for everything for my LS430. When I'm long gone... someone is going to get a hell of a well maintained old Lexus! My diligent efforts will be their gain!
I guess with the Japanese you don't know. I noticed on amazon, it seemed that the description for the Aisin kit could be a variety of suppliers?

What I mean is with German cars, it's cut and dry. This is OE genuine. This is OEM. Bosch makes plugs for BMW. You can get the blue BMW, or the green Bosch. You are not guessing if they are the same, they are the same. Me? I'd rather save the $3 per plug and use the green, which is what I did.

You also see OE v. OEM in the GM world. But I don't see this term used in the Japanese world. I see OEM all the time. For a German or American car, OEM is not what came with the car. It's equivalent, but not genuine.

So I believe in the case of the timing belt kit, price for Lexus branded is double. Is it worth it, if they end up being the same? Is a $80 serpentine worth it, if the Bando is the same and $20? Harder to say with Japanese, because they don't seem to identify the exact OEM and make that info available....I used a Bando, not Lexus serpentine, huge price delta $40+ hahahahaha because I feel it's the same.....

edit p.s. for whatever reason I felt fully confident with Gates products on my Maxima, but would prefer not on the LS430....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-17-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 04:05 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

edit p.s. for whatever reason I felt fully confident with Gates products on my Maxima, but would prefer not on the LS430....
I've used the Gates kit several times on Lexus cars over the years. It's what's been in my wife's car (IS300) for the last few. Had them in both mys GS400. No worries.
Old 04-18-18, 02:44 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alot ot opinions in here now lol but good news is my amazing Aisin kit was delivered today. My appointment isn't until May 5th, although I will take some pics of old and new and repost here.
Old 04-19-18, 01:14 PM
semar
Advanced

Default timing belt kit

If your Aisin timing belt kit came from Rock Auto could you please check and see if the waterpump has metal impellers? or are they plastic?
thanks
Old 04-19-18, 04:25 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by semar
If your Aisin timing belt kit came from Rock Auto could you please check and see if the waterpump has metal impellers? or are they plastic?
thanks
Which is your preference and please explain why...

Quick Reply: Which timing belt/waterpump combo on rock auto?